• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

2009 Influenza A (H1N1) Outbreak

Status
Not open for further replies.

.inLOVE

el su bosillo <3
    Years
    That's what I was just thinking of.

And like what CWTAP said a few posts back, it could've just morphed.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
    You can't get it from eating pig meat. It's a virus spreading from Mexico to the USA, so it doesn't matter whether you eat pork or not, there is still a chance of you catching it.
    I should seriously add something in my signature that states that I'm extremely sarcastic.

Anyhow... it seems to be waning. I really don't care unless people start dying over here. Since we have overall a healthier water and food supply, I wouldn't be too worried.

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    It hasn't reached Ireland yet, but we had four people in quarantine today. Results just came back and all four haven't been infected, but there's an estimated 1,000 Irish people in Mexico every week, so I'm expecting a lot more tests to be taken in the next week or two.

Years
    I always knew Mexico would kill us all, sure glad I live in Texas (sarcasm).

But i'm not to worried about it, I have a high immunity and have never gotten any flu in my life. Still, I now officially hate Mexico more than I did before :3.

That must be one of the most ignorant, naive, stupid, and prejudiced posts I've seen on my 5 years at PC.

Please don't even bother to post if you're going to come up with crap such as your unjustified hate for a country you should be showing support to as it's got a problem your own nation might as well could have had. No one cares why you hate Mexico and no one in their right mind will appreciate anyone dropping by just to spit how you hate something with no reason nor understanding of the problem at hand. It is incredibly childish and unnecessary.

Second, it's incredibly moronic to state that you have a high flu immunity. The supposed fact that you have never gotten flu in your life does not spare you from being infected nor any magical immunity you might think you bear to it.

Please refrain from posting whatever does not contribute to the topic at hand, it's disgusting to perceive such ignorance and hate in a forum like this.

Yeah, I've seen how horrible it's gotten. The average Mexican has a 40% chance of getting the flu. Once they've gotten it, there's AT LEAST a 10% chance they'll die. Scary, huh?
    Again people, base your facts before posting. We don't need misleading numbers around here, good or bad.

Aether

Preparing Emergency Food
    Years
    I heard that Japan is pulling out all the stops to prevent this thing from spreading. They're apparently using infrared cameras in airports to view the temperatures of arriving passengers. They pull over and quarantine the people that are shown to be too warm on their sensors.

I wish I had a source for this. :/

Years
    I heard that Japan is pulling out all the stops to prevent this thing from spreading. They're apparently using infrared cameras in airports to view the temperatures of arriving passengers. They pull over and quarantine the people that are shown to be too warm on their sensors.

I wish I had a source for this. :/

That's from WHO. Saw it too. Only difference is that they suggest focusing on a medical solution rather than placing all efforts on containing the virus itself.

Years
    • Seen May 24, 2009
    Yeah, I've seen how horrible it's gotten. The average Mexican has a 40% chance of getting the flu. Once they've gotten it, there's AT LEAST a 10% chance they'll die. Scary, huh?

Hmmm....who said that? That would mean 4% of Mexico will be dead.

Azonic

hello friends
    Years
    It's just another flu virus and barely anything different.
    Less than 10% (which is unusually high for this virus / Wikipedia), and where on earth did you get 40%?

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Heard there are over 70 cases in the United States now. This is when I start to fear the worst.

txteclipse

The Last
    Years
    It's probably going to plateau at the end of the week. ^_^
    So no need to panic.

A couple of days' worth of statistics really isn't a good enough indicator of how this is going to go down. Infections per day can fluctuate for any number of reasons such as temperature, whether people come in contact with each other, and whether people are even seeing doctors for their symptoms.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    This week has been interesting. First North Korea launches its nuclear program back in action, now this Mexican pandemic crap?

Whatever.

Don't you worry, saying whatever fixes everything!

Ricky429

Turtwig lovers unite!!!
    Years
    I believe this is like the Mass Hysteria effect. You see on the news that people are wearing masks and such which doesn't help people calm down about it. They have doctors on TV pretty much scaring people but they are just trying to warn people which I understand.

But I agree, this thing will blow over sooner or later.

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Im sure a lot of people here may not want to see doctors or think they have something else and are not being accounted for.

Years
    A couple of days' worth of statistics really isn't a good enough indicator of how this is going to go down. Infections per day can fluctuate for any number of reasons such as temperature, whether people come in contact with each other, and whether people are even seeing doctors for their symptoms.

What I meant was people are panicking a bit too much. Just trying to dissuade worries here. >.> Anyways I doubt those without health insurance will go to the doctor right away...Stupid US Health insurance system...

https://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20090429/ap_on_he_me/med_swine_flu

Everyone's going to start freaking out now with this one. I feel bad for the toddler though =/

Same News...but different website. =/

US reports first swine flu death
    A Mexican child has died of swine flu in Texas - the first death from the virus outside Mexico, where it may have killed as many as 159 people.

Officials say the 23-month child had been visiting relatives in the Houston area when he became ill.
    President Barack Obama urged local authorities across the US to be vigilant and shut schools if necessary.
    Several new cases have been reported in Europe. The World Health Organization has called a meeting on the outbreak.
    Earlier, it confirmed that the flu was being transmitted between humans and called on countries to check their contingency plans for a possible pandemic.
    But the WHO - the UN's health body - also urged caution, saying measures like travel bans were unlikely to prove effective.
    France will ask the European Union on Thursday to suspend all flights going to Mexico because of the flu outbreak, Health Minister Roselyne Bachelot said.
    She said the request would be made at a meeting of the 27 EU health ministers, due to be held in Luxembourg.

And also, my State of California's Governor Arnold Schwarzenegger declared a state of Emergency yesterday to cut the "red tape" in Medical Coordination. D:

Last edited:

Maria Santos

*wink* enjoy your death! ^_^
    Years
    AJAJAJAJA SWINE FLU IS MUY BUENO!

All joking aside though, I think the swine flu pandemic will be under control it will just take awhile that's all. I hope it gets under control asap though. At my moms work one of her coworkers cough and she said that they all started to say SWINE FLU! It's ridiculous.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back