• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

AMA 21 years on PC AMA

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
Years
  • I thought I was gonna be all witty and original by doing this and then I realized I literally just did this last year. Oops!

Today is my 21st anniversary on PC! Ask me anything! Or just berate me for being old!

I will be a bit sappy and say I'm really thankful this community is still around. So many old haunts have been lost to time or to complete and total inactivity, so it's nice that PC is always somewhere people can come back to. I've met so many people over the years and can't really imagine who I'd be without this place. Thank you PC for 21 years and here's to 21 more?
    :cherrim:

Cherrim

Years
  • if you could bring one thing back from pc of the 2000s, what would it be?
    Before a couple weeks ago I'd have said Blossom Shower. :coolrim:

I feel like mostly I'd just want the sheer activity back. A lot of things from 2000s era PC were just kind of... weird... so I think PC is in a better place without all that but the trade-off has obviously been people growing up, mellowing out, and for a large part just kind of disappearing for years on end. There just aren't as many regulars now.

Cherrim

Years
  • fav pc sections throughout the years??
    Currently it's Video Games! Way back when I joined, it was Other Anime (which is what Anime & Manga was first called, to distinguish it from Pokémon Anime lmao). Then Mixed Voting Polls (just polls, eventually merged with Other Chat to become this forum). I've also always liked dipping into Pokémon General because sometimes people put such good topics in there. Oh! And I used to LOVE Clubhouse (or whatever it was called back in the day... Other Clubs? We had a Naming Theme), though I just kind of forget to check in nowadays when I join a club. I have really fond memories of the Square Enix club in particular from back in the day.

Cherrim

Years
  • Why do you love Cherrim so much?
    I originally just liked it ironically because I was a tomboy when I was younger and went through an "ewwww i hate pink" phase. But back when I was deep into my Kingdom Hearts phase it overlapped with the release of Pokémon Diamond/Pearl and when my friend and I were making fake Pokémon teams for our favourite Kingdom Hearts characters, I gave Cherrim to my fave character because it was a decent match (the Blossom Shower theme actually takes its name from one of his attacks in battle). Anyway, I joked about liking Cherrim because of the association for a bit, bought a plushie as a joke, got attached, and uhhhhh 15 years later it's my whole identity, oops!

But in a non-historical "accident" way, I love pink and floral aesthetics now, so that's a big part of it. I love that it has a sunshine gimmick and two different forms because it means more to love. It's got such silly features (massive head, tiny body) that it's just adorable. The way sunny form implements the cherry blossom motif of five petals by having four on the back and one on the front of its head feels really creative in order to keep the silhouette of the flower while making it really distinct. I assume they were going for a bud sort of look for overcast form but the colours make it look like an eggplant which is just such an absurd idea that I find it really endearing too. Also it has such a cute cry! In the games its cry sounds like a bell ringing which is unexpected but it's so unique. (The other sounds it has in later games also have kind of like a whistly tone to them? I think they're cute too.) And in the anime it almost kind of purrs when it says its name and it's soooo cute. I've found a lot to love about it over the years and it brings me such joy to see Cherrim every day. :>

Years
  • It's pretty crazy that you've been on this site over 5 years longer then I've been alive. In any case, how has PC's culture changed over time? Would you say the site has had different, distinct "eras" like YouTube; or has it pretty been the same all the way through?

Years
    • Seen today
    In video games as a storytelling medium, what separates a 'good' story from a 'great' story?

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    how does it feel being so ancient that your PC account is now of legal US drinking age and your user ID number being only 3 or 4 digits long while user ID numbers passed the 1 million mark some time ago

Is there anything you're looking forward to in 2024?

Eleanor

Princess Era 🎀
    Years
    • Age 24
    • she/her
    • Italy
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    How do you spend your free time between playing videogames, watching anime/movies/TV, reading books, doing sports or physical activity in general, and everything else? How much would you say this has changed over your time on PC?

How much do you like Cherubi?

Cherrim

Years
  • It's pretty crazy that you've been on this site over 5 years longer then I've been alive. In any case, how has PC's culture changed over time? Would you say the site has had different, distinct "eras" like YouTube; or has it pretty been the same all the way through?
    There are definitely distinct eras, although I think I'm so far removed from a lot of them that it would be hard to classify individually. And most of them would come from the lens of staff drama anyway. But on the whole, the site and its users have definitely changed over the years. Back in the mid-00s especially, PC had a similar culture to most forums out there in that the rules, and by extension the staff, were quite strict. So you'd have people warned and banned for things that ultimately didn't really matter, but the bureaucracy felt so important at the time lmao. The activity of the site kind of necessitated more rules and more staff, though. There are also lots of things that would fly back then (casual homophobia lol) that we'd never allow now. The internet and by extension PC was just a totally different place in some regards.
    In video games as a storytelling medium, what separates a 'good' story from a 'great' story?
    omg hard question @_@

I think this is pretty subjective, but I feel like for me, a good story is just a good story, but for games especially, I think a great story is one that is not only good, but actually integrates elements of the game itself. My favourite game stories are the kind of things that simply could not be done in another medium because they integrate player agency, gameplay mechanics, and other game-only things so well. You hear a lot about ludo-narrative dissonance and I guess that's the other side of the coin from what I mean, where a lot of games try really hard to tell a cinematic story but because they're rooted in the gaming medium, there's a dissonance because the gameplay pushes you to do things that are at odds with the story they want to tell. A story that doesn't make you think about that is fine, but a story that makes you think about it in a positive way? I love it!

It's hard to give examples of stuff like this without dropping spoilers for games, because a lot of games that I like really push these themes and the gameplay-story immersion closer to the end/climax for maximum . A lot of horror games get given as examples of good ludonarrative consistency for the obvious reasons of the gameplay matching the story in a scary, anxious sense, but it happens with other genres too. I just love when a story feels extra clever because it really makes good use of every aspect of the game available to tell it.

I am going to take this opportunity to do my favourite thing and plug The Outer Wilds, the best game I've ever played and with a story that could literally not be told any other way than as a game. The story, the gameplay, everything is just so carefully weaved together into as perfect a game as I think I will ever play. (But go in blind!!!)
    how does it feel being so ancient that your PC account is now of legal US drinking age and your user ID number being only 3 or 4 digits long while user ID numbers passed the 1 million mark some time ago

Is there anything you're looking forward to in 2024?
    Excuse you, my userid is only 2 digits long (it's 31). :coolrim:

If I say I'm looking forward to starting a new job in 2024 will that manifest a job for me? Let's say that and find out. But otherwise I don't have any particular plans which feels lame to say lmao. :'(
    Anyone you met through PC that you've lost contact with and miss talking to?
    I think most people I could get in contact with if I wanted to... I still have people on some form of social media or chat app. I think the only person I've really lost contact with is Abby but the one time we met irl kinda felt like a farewell before she deactivated accounts and moved on from internet life so it's not too big a deal.
    go-to snack?
    Right now we have these Korean yuzu cheesecake cookies in the house and they're to die for.
    How do you spend your free time between playing videogames, watching anime/movies/TV, reading books, doing sports or physical activity in general, and everything else? How much would you say this has changed over your time on PC?

How much do you like Cherubi?
    Hmm, I'd say my free time is largely spent on video games, but that's fluctuated over the years as my hobbies shift. I tend to go in cycles of games -> anime/manga -> books -> games and so on, in no particular order. But I will say since discovering PC, the time I spent on all of the above took a back seat to ~internet~ as a primary hobby (although it feels less like a hobby now that the internet is all about social media and more like an awkard addiction to feed). But if your question meant if I have interests beyond anything in the list, I'd add drawing/art to it! I get bitten by that bug once every so often. Right now I'm kinda into crocheting... I learnt how to make plushies recently, though I can't do much beyond following a pre-made pattern. :'D

I love Cherubi! I was kind of indifferent to it when Cherrim became my fave but it's grown on me simply by association. I kinda like its pink more than Cherrim's because I like bright pinks the best. I'm not really a fan of cherries at all so Cherubi took a while to get up there in faves. I will say even though I love cherry blossom aesthetic stuff for its association to Cherrim, cherries themselves never grew on me over their association with Cherubi lol.

faf

[b][color=#1acc14]Queen of Dragons[/color][/b]
    Years
  • 1. How would you feel if Dawntrail's main raid food involved eggplants again?
    2. What are YOUR ideal additions to Dawntrail?
    3. What are your honest opinions on the Saskatchewan Roughriders?
    4. Would WAR be your go to tank if it got its conal AoE back?

Years
  • did you learn japanese entirely own your own, or did you have any classes/tutors? what resources do you recommend for anyone learning japanese and how tf do you remember kanji?

Cherrim

Years
  • Your PC journey in a single paragraph?
    member->mod->smod->admin->different kind of admin->member->admin->still here??????????
    1. How would you feel if Dawntrail's main raid food involved eggplants again?
    2. What are YOUR ideal additions to Dawntrail?
    3. What are your honest opinions on the Saskatchewan Roughriders?
    4. Would WAR be your go to tank if it got its conal AoE back?
    1. upset, i would be writing a strongly worded letter to yoshi p
    2. I want them to go through all the jobs and consolidate buttons more. I want to be able to have three hotbars for actions and have extra spaces on them for all jobs to be able to mark enemies, have extra macros, etc. I hate how claustrophobic so many jobs are; it makes me never want to touch them.
    3. completely amibalent but jude looks really cute in his roughriders scarf
    VJyGFJF.jpg

4. It's already my go-to dungeon tank after maining it for a few days on the cloud server, so getting the cone would just be icing on top
    What's the most embarrassing thing you remember doing as a young member of PokeCommunity?

(It just hit me that my 20th anniversary is coming up, whoa)
    I used to sign off every post of mine with:

Bai,
    Lightning

for years. I can't remember if I was still doing it when I joined PC or not but my earliest forumgoing years were like this. @_@
    did you learn japanese entirely own your own, or did you have any classes/tutors? what resources do you recommend for anyone learning japanese and how tf do you remember kanji?
    Mostly in classes. In high school I attended Saturday school for extra language credits that weren't available in my usual school, which I used to take Japanese classes. Then I kind of didn't touch the language for years but got back into it in university classes which got me to N3 level. But everything post-university has been self-study.

I use(d) wanikani for kanji. I got a lifetime membership ages ago and got like 30 levels in or something before forgetting about it. But there are so many self-study resources out there now that didn't exist when I was doing the bulk of my learning. Not to be a redditor on main, but the /r/LearnJapanese subreddit is pretty good for finding resources or suggestions. The best you can usually do is just find a good Anki deck and start memorizing. So much of Japanese is just memorization--kanji readings, compound words, radicals, and so on.
    This site was around back then, huh? Well, what is it something from back then that you wish they brought back?
    My favourite fonts we had on vBulletin...

I think I'll always miss some of our customizations on vBulletin and the fact that I just knew its internal workings a lot better than I know Xenforo's, because, you know, 20 years of experience with it.

On the whole though most stuff that worked well for PC is still here. The only theme I missed from old oooold vBulletin was the Cherrim theme which I remade but much better on this version so I am happy. :) Stuff that isn't related to PC's internals has evolved over time... if we don't have something anymore, it's almost always because it no longer makes sense so I can't say I miss stuff like old rules or forums that would be dead now and so on.

Reactions: faf
    Back