• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Bikes and HMs gone in Sun and Moon

Starry Windy

Everything will be Daijoubu.
Years
At least some of well-received HMs like Surf is still there even though in form of TMs, and I didn't expected that Poké Ride is there as the replacement of Bike (and HMs as well)... but then, I think it's fun riding on Pokémon for real after testing one in the Demo :) And another plus side is that I don't have to put some HM on my Pokémon in order to advance in the game, so that it gives more room for my Pokémon team rosters.

Azire

Mr. Premier Ball
Years
  • Seen Dec 25, 2016
Can it be? Is this possibly one of the greatest updates ever?

Years
I realized that with HMs gone, Alola might not even have a Move Deleter anymore since Poke Ride killed off his main purpose. Move Relearners will still be here to stay though.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
Years
HMs need to be ridded of since a long time ago, I am glad!

Not going to be entirely comfortable about not being able to get on a bike now, but at least there is a Tauros for riding!

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
Years
  • Age 30
  • he/him
  • Seen Mar 8, 2024
It's been a long time coming for HMs and they have been getting more and more of a nusiance. I'm glad they're keeping a few of the staple ones as they are pretty good in-game wise. I can see the reason for no bikes though. The region is smaller and since the default animation is now running they probably didn't see a need to include it.

Years
  • Age 31
  • USA
  • Seen Mar 30, 2024
It's been a long time coming for HMs and they have been getting more and more of a nusiance. I'm glad they're keeping a few of the staple ones as they are pretty good in-game wise. I can see the reason for no bikes though. The region is smaller and since the default animation is now running they probably didn't see a need to include it.
The default movement speed is walking, not running. The person who claimed that (Ash from Gamexplain) just recently admitted he made a mistake in saying that, and that the walking animation is not fast enough to warrant not running. Time to prep our B buttons.

Desert Stream~

Holy Kipper!
Years
  • Age 34
  • She/Her
  • Seen Aug 20, 2023
Not suprised about HMs, But am about the bikes.
Also, what if registering items is gone too? Y seems to be repurposed

bobandbill

one more time
Years
Not suprised about HMs, But am about the bikes.
Also, what if registering items is gone too? Y seems to be repurposed
D-pad serves that purpose now, going by the Demo. It can be also used for quick selection of Riding Pokemon. Explains why we can't move with the D-pad.

Years
The Y button no longer registers Key Items? Damn, this generation has been changing things way too drastically but I hope that button gets a new purpose.

Mister Coffee

Blathering Fool
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen Nov 7, 2020
HM's are finally gone! FINALLY GONE!!!
After all these years of destroying move pools and taking up my sixth party slot, they have finally been put to rest!
Ding dong the HM's are dead! The HM's are dead! *Does a small dance to "Wizard of Oz music"

Nah

Years
  • Age 31
  • she/her, they/them
  • Seen today
really I thought that they might not actually remove HMs just because people have been complaining about them for eons, y'know, just to screw with us

So this'll be great provided the Pokemon riding feature is a good replacement.

Don't miss the bike either, I only ever really bother to use it when breeding, and if we get a replacement for it I'm good.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
Years
I would have missed the bike, but since we can ride Tauros everywhere, there is no need for it really. So I am not disappointed.

Originally I didn't think they would get rid of bikes. However, that was before I knew we could ride a Tauros everywhere.

I am disappointed that Strength is gone. It was one of the best Normal Type Attacks.

I just wish we didn't have to wear that crappy outfit during wild encounters.

JoyStar

We're all mad here...
Years
  • Age 32
  • Seen May 29, 2019
HMs are gone, YAY!

Glad they kept Surf, Waterfall, and Fly as TM moves though, they're good moves.

Back