• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Article: The last episode of Generations is now live!

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    Sycamore was there so it was a fantastic episode.

Very appropriate for the end of XY to serve as the finale for Generations. A very minor complaint but I feel like AZ falling to his knees in the games made the reunion feel a bit more powerful there than here, but overall it was still a great episode and a wonderful series.

Despite its flaws, Generations is definitely my favorite thing to come out of Pokémon's 20th anniversary year celebration. I hope the creators take the positivity from Origins and Generations and work on an Origins: GS for gen 2's 20th anniversary a few years from now.

Thanks for the fun and excitement, Generations! I'll still be keeping up as more episodes are added in Japanese!

MegaKuriboh

Yare Yare Daze
    Years
  • While I had my issues with XY and it's story, I still love the story of AZ and his Floette, it was very touching.

I'm very sad Generations is over, but it had a damn good run. It showed off most of my favourite characters (Blue, Silver, N, Colress, although I wish Gen 5 got some more episodes because it's two games). It was a fantastic way to celebrate Pokemon and it's anniversary and a great treat to the fans. I just hope they learn from these that Pokemon fans love this stuff from the games, and would love more Anime based off the games, here's hoping for Origins 2!

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • This was underwhelming. On the one hand, there wasn't much to be told of AZ's story and it was nice seeing him animated when the main series neglected him. The game did the scene better though.

On the other hand, Generations was meant to tell the untold stories. Instead of a rehash of the scene, they could have explained why AZ battling the player was the path to redemption, or how Lysandre captured AZ, or how he built the weapon. So many different options to explore and they chose the one thing we already saw.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • "It's been 3,000 years."

[insert Peter Griffith quote here]

Also, Serena's not the canon protagonist despite being the more popular one? Bummer.

And thus ends Pokémon Generations, and it wasn't as good as everybody expected it to be due to failing to fully fulfill what they promised about untold stories from the six generations. Meanwhile the SM anime, which those same people scowled for its change in art style, ended up becoming better than they thought.

This was underwhelming. On the one hand, there wasn't much to be told of AZ's story and it was nice seeing him animated when the main series neglected him. The game did the scene better though.

On the other hand, Generations was meant to tell the untold stories. Instead of a rehash of the scene, they could have explained why AZ battling the player was the path to redemption, or how Lysandre captured AZ, or how he built the weapon. So many different options to explore and they chose the one thing we already saw.

Technically, it's an untold story, because it's from the perspective of the spectators.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
  • This episode was nothing short of wonderful. AZ's story is told beautifully, and the emotion was very well depicted.
    My only issue is...that's it? That's the finale? While it's definitely a great tale to tell, I was just hoping that the finale wouldn't just be the X/Y ending, and would be a bit more cumulative of the Pokemon universe, you know?
    Still a great episode, though. I really hope that The Pokemon Company takes all of this positive feedback and does more things like this in the future.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    To be honest, Generations lost me the moment Gold/Ethan appeared. It's one thing to show Red since A) he has no female counterpart outside of remakes, and B) he's already been canonized in the games.

But, to constantly show ALL of the male PCs and deliberately exclude their female counterparts isn't anything but outright sexism, no ifs, ands, and buts. What Generations is essentially saying is that girls don't deserve to be heroes or champions and that female Pokémon fans don't matter.

And, no, don't bring up the Ash anime as a counterargument. First of all, not every female PC has even appeared in it. Secondly, look at the roles female PCs play in the anime. Marina was a useless bimbo and damsel in distress, while May, Dawn, And Serena were all frilly coordinators and "girlfriends of the arc" for Ash. Lyra was literally the only one who was even a badge-collecting trainer, and she was still nothing but a ditzy CoTD. Most of them don't even pass the Sexy Lamp Test, let alone stand as heroes or champions.

The only reason we don't see male PCs in the anime is because their role is already taken by Ash. Look at the adaptations that don't star Ash (such as the various manga), and the male PCs are well-represented. However, it's a struggle to find even *one* adaptation that's centered around a female PC and treats them as the hero of the story.

Argue all you want about there being more male Pokémon fans, but if female Pokémon fans were really that insignificant of a minority, then female PCs wouldn't exist in the first place. That argument also assumes that male Pokémon fans are all sexist enough to avoid any story that centers around a female character, which I can tell you isn't true.

Maybe, one day, female PCs and female Pokémon fans will finally get their due, but Generations wasn't it.

The Mega Champion

Strategist
    Years
  • And so ends another AMAZING Pokemon anime thing they did.

It was weird hearing Hisoka's (Hunter X Hunter 2011) voice as AZ.

Either way I liked how they decided to end it.

Another GREAT Pokemon anime-related material. They should do stuff like this more often but we all know they won't.

;-;

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I am glad it is finally over to be honest. They were getting a bit annoying and I don't think it would have ended well if they continued. If they do something like this again, it needs to be like Origins.

This was so underwhelming. I honestly think the game ending when they told the story was 1000 times better. They could have ended it with a bang, and although they technically did, talking about the super weapon, but it did not have the impact at all like the games did.

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    It sucked and the male protagonists appearing all the time while the female protagonists didn't appear at all is really annoying, especially since we've never even got an animated adaptation of Hilda.

Poor Hilda doesn't have any non-game counterparts outside of Adventures, period. Talk about a forgotten character. :(

Generations really made a mistake in showing any PCs besides Red, and this is exactly why. I knew before it even started that they would be sexist and snub the female PCs, which is enough to completely ruin it for me. Gold and Brendan aren't my protagonists. There's a very good reason why they've never been canonized in the games like Red has. It wasn't even necessary to show them, anyways.

On a similar note, Generations was pretty terrible about female characters, in general. I think the Cheryl episode was literally the only one that even centered around a female character. It says a lot that even Cynthia, one of the most popular and overexposed characters in the franchise, didn't get much screentime. Say what you will about the Ash anime, but despite its many flaws, it was never a world almost devoid of women like Generations seems to be.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    The animation and the music in this one was awesome. I liked it overall although I thought the ending was lacking a bit. I think they should've done something that was more of an ending to Generations itself as a whole.

Overall Generations was good. I liked that they gave every generation a focus and that there was something different going on each time and not just following the same formula like the series. I liked too that it was a little more sophisticated than the anime, there were a few scenes that would be too intense for the anime. The animation was hit or miss and some of the episodes were much better than others. I do kind of think there should've been something tying together the episodes to make it more like one series and the cliffhangers that went unresolved were annoying, but this was still a nice treat for us.

This episode was nothing short of wonderful. AZ's story is told beautifully, and the emotion was very well depicted.
    My only issue is...that's it? That's the finale? While it's definitely a great tale to tell, I was just hoping that the finale wouldn't just be the X/Y ending, and would be a bit more cumulative of the Pokemon universe, you know?
    Still a great episode, though. I really hope that The Pokemon Company takes all of this positive feedback and does more things like this in the future.
    I agree, I wish there was some type of cumulative finale that brought everything together in some way.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Betty's post is one I agree with. Generations has been nothing but sexist by recognizing only the male protagonists as canonical and pretending the female ones simply don't exist.

It's pretty much been delivering a message that if you're female, you can't be a hero or a Champion. Doesn't also help that female protagonists in the main anime get treated as a stereotype, with May, Dawn and Serena all pursuing "girlish" goals and the only one we ever got to see even collect badges was Lyra. Hilda, Rosa, Leaf and Moon were also left out entirely.

As Betty said, this treatment is likely due to Pokemon having more male fans (and hence pretty much every single LP of Pokemon games I see on YouTube chooses the male protagonist) and heck, even in my country Pokemon toys in McDonald's Happy Meals have always been assigned as the male toys, while giving the females a counterpart set that's of a franchise that's more "girly and frilly".

I love the female protagonists' designs, and it's so terrible they receive the short end of the stick in pretty much any non-game adaptation.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I agree with the complaints about the portrayals of females in Generations and really in Pokemon in general, although at least there are several strong independent female gym leaders, trainers, and Elite Four members. Jessie is the one strong female character shown regularly, but she too gets portrayed as a girly girl obsessed with beauty. Action kids shows do skew male though, so male characters are put at the forefront. It's always been the case, not just with Pokemon. Powerpuff Girls and Kim Possible are the only notable exceptions.

But yes, the lack of female lead protagonists in Generations was a valid issue. Pokemon has many female fans, but it doesn't seem like they cared a lot.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • I agree. I like most of the female character better. It annoys me that the females get the short end of the deal. Especially Hilda/White who has one of the best character designs in all of the pokemon characters.

And just a really quick off topic thing, if you want to see the females being appreciated, read the manga. There is only 1 'girly' girl in all of the manga other than some of the non main characters.

Years
  • Although I felt Generations got slightly worse as it went on, this episode was a good end to a fantastic series. I love AZ's story and felt this did it justice, I'm kinda upset the series is over now, I really enjoyed it and don't watch the anime anymore so it was nice to go back and relive the 'Generations' :)

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2018
    Betty's post is one I agree with. Generations has been nothing but sexist by recognizing only the male protagonists as canonical and pretending the female ones simply don't exist.

It's pretty much been delivering a message that if you're female, you can't be a hero or a Champion. Doesn't also help that female protagonists in the main anime get treated as a stereotype, with May, Dawn and Serena all pursuing "girlish" goals and the only one we ever got to see even collect badges was Lyra. Hilda, Rosa, Leaf and Moon were also left out entirely.

As Betty said, this treatment is likely due to Pokemon having more male fans (and hence pretty much every single LP of Pokemon games I see on YouTube chooses the male protagonist) and heck, even in my country Pokemon toys in McDonald's Happy Meals have always been assigned as the male toys, while giving the females a counterpart set that's of a franchise that's more "girly and frilly".

I love the female protagonists' designs, and it's so terrible they receive the short end of the stick in pretty much any non-game adaptation.

Trust me when I say that Pokémon was never truly a "boys only" thing. I came of age during the late 90s Pokémania Era, and you saw just as many girls sneaking Gameboys and Pokémon cards into school as you did boys. They also made Pokémon-themed clothing, purses, and dolls for girls, and even most of the stuff that wasn't specifically "for girls" wasn't really "for boys" either. It was truly a gender-neutral franchise with gender-neutral appeal.

And, it was because so many girls played Pokémon that we started to see female protagonists in the first place! If Pokémon's fanbase is truly 95% male, then why do the games even have female PCs at all? Clearly that isn't the case, which means that a not-so-insignificant portion of the fanbase is being completely erased and ignored.

Generations may have been about nostalgia, but it certainly wasn't my nostalgia.

Back