• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Third trailer for 20th movie released — featuring Marshadow!

Years
  • So I guess from this trailer we can assume that the movie is 100% going to be more than just a remake of the first episode.
    But this is not what I was expecting at all. Is this even a remake or retelling?
    There's new companions, 7th gen Pokémon, and Ho-oh and Marshadow appear to have big roles in the film.
    So many questions, Piplup appeared, so does that mean we could be seeing Dawn and possibly other companions?
    I'm really looking forward to this now, I feel like (I'm hoping at least) it could be something special.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I knew that this movie wouldn't have high hopes of nostalgia, especially when you look at two entirely new characters stepping in as Ash's partners, and Marshadow's appearance in the movie.

Reboot or retelling is definitely what this movie now seems to be, and it has unfortunately alienated Pokeshippers and those who were hoping for nostalgic throwbacks.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    The new companions have Gen IV Pokémon as opposed to Gen VII. Hmm... Suspicious
    I don't know how to feel about the new characters in Misty and Brock's place, I'll have to wait until the premiere for a better judgement. Also, Piplup's a rather random choice; why not Psyduck or even Togepi as a reference to Misty?
    Marshadow's also worth mentioning. With Ho-Oh and Ash's journey being the main focus, I'm curious how this mythical will tie into the plot. I hope this doesn't mean another short generation imo.

Last edited:

Twilight-kun

Pokémon World Champion
    Years
    • Seen Jul 27, 2023
    I, for one, am overjoyed that we've got new characters

That means that Brock and Misty will actually be doing their jobs instead of ignoring them to tag along with some random stranger

I welcome our new Alternate Universe Ash and wish him the best of luck on his journey

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
  • So I guess from this trailer we can assume that the movie is 100% going to be more than just a remake of the first episode.
    But this is not what I was expecting at all. Is this even a remake or retelling?
    There's new companions, 7th gen Pokémon, and Ho-oh and Marshadow appear to have big roles in the film.
    So many questions, Piplup appeared, so does that mean we could be seeing Dawn and possibly other companions?
    I'm really looking forward to this now, I feel like (I'm hoping at least) it could be something special.

The Piplup belongs to Makato (the girl).

Anyway, I'm more interested in this movie now; it's more than a simple retelling of the OS first few episodes as it was originally presented as.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    Personally? I'm looking forward to seeing how this turns out. I'm glad that it's not just a retelling of the same exact story and that it's more like an alternate universe thing that it's turning out to be. Looking forward to how Marshadow fits in as well and regardless I'M SO GLAD HO-OH IS GETTING AN ACTUAL ROLE??? Like holy shit it's been 20 years they've been waiting for this moment.

Really though I'm looking forward to seeing all those people complain 'oh no it's not misty and brock it's not a complete retelling'. If they wanted to do that they would just remake the first episode. :')

Years
  • I'm glad that we're not just getting a retelling of the first few episodes but instead TPC seem to be incorporating moments from those episodes into a wider story with new characters. So really, we're getting nostalgia and a new awesome story (cause Ho-Oh) which will be really cool imo.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Hmm, I have mixed feelings about the news revealed about the film, to be honest.

On the one hand, they're actually focusing on Ho-Oh, which is a good thing since they haven't focused on Ash's connection with Ho-Oh at all since, what, early DP? And quite frankly, I can understand needing to retell Ash and Pikachu's first meeting since, let's face it, Ho-Oh played a small but significant role in the first episode anyways, so it's a good fit. And I must admit, I didn't expect them to actually distribute both Ash-Pikachu and Marshadow.

But on the other hand... I honestly think that it seemed completely unnecessary for Gary, Misty and Brock to be replaced with new characters to fill the same role. I mean, just because it's a retelling doesn't mean they should remove any and all characters who were involved in the original work besides Pikachu and Ash obviously, especially when they actually helped Ash become the trainer he is today, and helped Pikachu as well. To put it another way, the Dragon Ball franchise had a similar idea to the upcoming retelling of the first episode with one of their films: Path to Power (which in fact was created to celebrate the 10th anniversary of the Dragon Ball anime). It was a retelling of Goku's first journey. Like I Choose You!, it also featured significant changes to the plot (namely, instead of trying to find the Dragon Balls before Emperor Pilaf, he has to contend with the Red Ribbon Army). However, even with those changes, they kept his first meeting with Bulma, Yamcha, Puar, Oolong, as well as his meeting Master Roshi. In fact, they even further developed Bulma and Yamcha's characters in that movie than in the original arc it was based on. Heck, Path to Power was even released 10 years after the first episode of the Anime. They could have done the plot like the guys who did Path to Power did regarding their plot as well as especially the characters. And let's not forget, Misty and her fishing rod was the reason why Ash was even able to go to Viridian rather than end up a floating body at best. Heck, forget Misty or even Brock: Gary was Ash's longtime rival, and a relative to Professor Oak, and a large part of Ash's motives in Season 1 was to surpass Gary, so removing him was just stupid. Besides, they, Misty especially, haven't gotten any focus as of late, so it's best if they actually include them, especially since it is the 20th anniversary anyways.

Well, either way, let's see how the film does (and I suspect that it may be the last film in the series. since not only are they focusing on Ho-Oh, a Pokémon that formed the crux of Ash's character arc up to DP, but they even are debuting both Ash-Pikachu and Marshadow, the latter of which is the only Mythical Pokémon of Generation VII besides Magearna which already debuted in the Volcanion movie earlier. Hard for them to make another when they've already used up all of the Gen VII Mythical Pokémon available. I mean, they never had a movie without distributing a Pokémon, namely one of the stars of the movie and especially a Mythical Pokémon, since Pokémon Heroes fifteen years prior.).

I, for one, am overjoyed that we've got new characters

That means that Brock and Misty will actually be doing their jobs instead of ignoring them to tag along with some random stranger

I welcome our new Alternate Universe Ash and wish him the best of luck on his journey

Misty was already traveling by herself before she met Ash, all in an attempt to prove to her sisters that she actually had worth, so technically she wasn't actually active in her job beforehand anyway. And she certainly took the job far more seriously than her sisters did in either case and it was implied that the only reason she wasn't often participating was due to her age, being the youngest of the Cerulean Sisters. Heck, she even fought Ash when it seemed like her sisters were just going to give the badge away, and also protested how Ash got the Cascade Badge despite not actually winning against her, so she definitely took the responsibilities of the job pretty seriously and certainly didn't ignore it.

As far as Brock, he didn't even initially intend to go on a journey with Ash, or journey at all, because he felt obligated to take care of his siblings after his parents ditched them (or his dad, depending on which version you go by). He in fact specifically requested that Ash take care of his dream for him when giving him the Boulder Badge, and only went journeying at all, let alone with Ash, when his father, Flint, returned and encouraged Brock to pursue his dreams himself to make up for not being with his family. In fact, when Ash met Brock, he WAS focusing on his job as Gym Leader. He even had to fight Brock as the first Gym Leader.

Sorry for going into this tangent, but I get annoyed when people act like Brock and Misty ignored their jobs in the anime, even when that's far from the truth and a very shallow way of looking at it. Besides, like I said, it seems to be pointless to have Gary, Misty and Brock replaced with three characters who are going to fill the same role anyways. It would be simpler to actually have them be in the movie (and it wouldn't even necessarily hamper the film with their presence either. Don't forget, Path to Power did something similar, yet they not only retained the characters from the original anime besides Goku himself, they even gave them even MORE development than originally). Let's hope Misty at least has a role in the movie, since apparently they personally delivered the script to Mayumi Iizuka back in 2016 if the YMMV section for the I Choose You article for TVTropes is to be believed.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • This trailer is actually really intriguing, there's so much going on! I'm not usually bothered by the Pokémon movies, especially not the trailer, but this one I might actually watch if I get the chance.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • This movie seems to combine the first 5 or 6 episodes of the anime.

Piplup is a throw back to Dawn and Piplup because Dawn was by far the most popular female other than maybe Serena in Japan. Even though she was hated by a lot here. She also has a similar hair style to Misty and is a tomboy. Therefore I think she is a combination between Dawn and Misty,

The boy with the Incenaroar is based on Paul and probably Gary.

This hints strongly that 4th Gen Remakes are coming this generation. Also I don't mind all the new characters, I am overjoyed to be honest. I am tired of Brock and Misty,

They are taking the most popular parts of the anime and combining them into one to make a new story.

Also, Heroes of Rainbow, seems to be making a reference to the Rainbow Prophecy.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    I'm pretty intrigued now. It looks like we're getting a reimagining of the first episode and probably more than that rather than a simple rehash of episode 1. I'll assume Brock and Misty won't be involved now unless they show Ash getting the badges from them which is a little disappointing but not horrible. The American production company is probably happy now because if Brock and Misty aren't in this because they won't be pressured to invite Eric Stuart and Rachel Lillis back to voice them.

TequitoClown

Swim swim. Swim sw- Tentacool
    Years
  • I am super excited to get my tickets for this! It keeps getting more and more interesting as time goes on. I'm glad to see Ho-oh got his own movie, instead of Lugia taking all the spotlight. I can't wait ;~;

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • So, this means the 20th anniversary movie isn't canon to the main anime after all. I thought it was going to be an extended retelling of the first episode since the anime's celebrating 20 years, and there have been anime who have movies that are retellings of certain arcs such as One Piece.

Oh hey, you're back. I thought you were banned from this subforum.

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    I know people hate hearing this, but the inclusion of a random Piplup and Lucario all but confirms Sinnoh remakes for me.

Years
  • Eh, I'm not terribly a big fan of these choices they are making so far. It's not because I don't want them to make changes in a Pokemon related AU or that I'm super nostalgic over Misty and Brock, but I think the trailer implies that these choices are a bad mix of "changing things to be hip with the kids" and using nostalgia as a way to "bait old Pokemon fans that left so they will be interested in new stuff again".

What I mean by this is that the early trailers play up nostalgia to get old fans interested but then the new trailers strongly implies that they are going to replace Misty and Brock. I'm getting hunch that they replaced Misty and Brock because their designs are consider outdated and they haven't been in the show in years. What we get instead are new characters whom designs are more modern and they have popular 4th gen Pokemon (probably for advertising 4th gen remakes as well).

The inclusion of Marshadow despite that the fact that the Pokemon has nothing to do with Ho-oh or Ash's Kanto journey. It seems like a method to attract old fans that have left to become interested in Sun and Moon, since it's attach to the movie that's nostalgic in the surface. I won't be surprise if this was their intent because that was the problem that plague Origins and it's been an issue within the franchise for quite sometime now.

I acknowledge that this movie would still be technically a nostalgic cash grab if they just stuck to a retelling of the first couple of episodes, but I think these choices do come of as dishonest and disrespectful, especially to the old fans. I think it would be better if they made it about Ash's dad and his journey to find Ho-oh instead. His connection to Ash would be nostalgic to old fans but the story would have room to introduce new characters so the whole, "making characters to be hip with the kids/advertised 4th gen remakes" won't feel as blatant and it would be more welcomed.

I know that my feelings towards the movie can change but these are my impressions based on the trailers and my experience with how this series handles itself.

Last edited:

Z25

Team Player
    Years
    • Age 26
    • Seen Aug 27, 2023
    I know people hate hearing this, but the inclusion of a random Piplup and Lucario all but confirms Sinnoh remakes for me.
    -One of the most marketable Starters in Japan

-One of the most over saturated Pokemon and founder of Mega Evolution.

I mean I think Shinnoh is coming but I doubt this means anything. Its meant to combine all gens.

Also there is a full summary of the plot in this spoiler
    Spoiler:

Essentially Ash is looking to meet Ho-Oh again while on his journey. It sounds pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to this.

Years
    • Seen Feb 25, 2018
    Eh, I'm not terribly a big fan of these choices they are making so far. It's not because I don't want them to make changes in a Pokemon related AU or that I'm super nostalgic over Misty and Brock, but I think the trailer implies that these choices are a bad mix of "changing things to be hip with the kids" and using nostalgia as a way to "bait old Pokemon fans that left so they will be interested in new stuff again".

What I mean by this is that the early trailers play up nostalgia to get old fans interested but then the new trailers strongly implies that they are going to replace Misty and Brock. I'm getting hunch that they replaced Misty and Brock because their designs are consider outdated and they haven't been in the show in years. What we get instead are new characters whom designs are more modern and they have popular 4th gen Pokemon (probably for advertising 4th gen remakes as well).

The inclusion of Marshadow despite that the fact that the Pokemon has nothing to do with Ho-oh or Ash's Kanto journey. It seems like a method to attract old fans that have left to become interested in Sun and Moon, since it's attach to the movie that's nostalgic in the surface. I won't be surprise if this was their intent because that was the problem that plague Origins and it's been an issue within the franchise for quite sometime now.

I acknowledge that this movie would still be technically a nostalgic cash grab if they just stuck to a retelling of the first couple of episodes, but I think these choices do come of as dishonest and disrespectful, especially to the old fans. I think it would be better if they made it about Ash's dad and his journey to find Ho-oh instead. His connection to Ash would be nostalgic to old fans but the story would have room to introduce new characters so the whole, "making characters to be hip with the kids/advertised 4th gen remakes" won't feel as blatant and it would be more welcomed.

I know that my feelings towards the movie can change but these are my impressions based on the trailers and my experience with how this series handles itself.
    Movies based on TV shows never completely do everything exactly the same as they were on the show itself. We've seen that big time with the current Power Rangers movie. We also already saw in the early trailers that Ho-Oh is playing a bigger role rather than Ash just seeing it at the very end like he did in the first episode. They know what they're doing baiting the long-time fans with going back to Ash and Pikachu's beginning but they're including new characters and mixing Pokémon of different generations along with new ones together to appeal to everyone.

Years
  • Movies based on TV shows never completely do everything exactly the same as they were on the show itself. We've seen that big time with the current Power Rangers movie. We also already saw in the early trailers that Ho-Oh is playing a bigger role rather than Ash just seeing it at the very end like he did in the first episode. They know what they're doing baiting the long-time fans with going back to Ash and Pikachu's beginning but they're including new characters and mixing Pokémon of different generations along with new ones together to appeal to everyone.

I don't think the issue is that they are changes, I think everyone knows that they will be changes(afterall it's going to be movie length). However, the issue is that they played out the nostalgia so hard in the earlier trailers that it seemed like a pretty direct adaption that will that fillin the gaps when it comes to Ho-oh and among other things. I think people didn't expect(or at least I didn't) this movie to market the new legend(this movie seem to be going outside of that formula based on the past trailers) or that the past characters will be replace by a more marketable modern set. We don't really know how these changes will be implement until the movie is out but my first impression is that their way of attracting both old and new fans does feel superficial and by the numbers(not the first time the series does this but I don't think it comes of as disrespectful to it's audience).

I don't think this approach would be much of an issue if the early trailers weren't so misleading. I don't know much about the new Power Rangers(I wasn't interested in the series as a kid) but I'm pretty sure people knew that the cast will be reinterpreted versions of the old characters from the get go or at least it didn't play out like it was going to be a direct remake then peddle back on it.

I really wish that Pokemon would stop using nostalgia as a way to bait fans because it feels dishonest. Pokemon Origins has a similar issue but I do think this is slightly better than Origins because Origins' method of using nostalgia baiting(aka using nostalgia as sneaky marketing for Mega Evolutions) wasn't revealed in the trailers, so at least people who are going to watch this movie know what they are getting into. Unless, you know, they only watched the early trailers...

Last edited:

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • -One of the most marketable Starters in Japan

-One of the most over saturated Pokemon and founder of Mega Evolution.

I mean I think Shinnoh is coming but I doubt this means anything. Its meant to combine all gens.

Also there is a full summary of the plot in this spoiler
    Spoiler:

Essentially Ash is looking to meet Ho-Oh again while on his journey. It sounds pretty interesting and I'm looking forward to this.

I see what you mean, but pokemon has a habit of hinting at a lot of stuff, but it doesn't seem like a hint until what it hints at comes out. Look At it this way.

~ The Alola anime is a lot like Sinnoh right now. Don't want to spoil anything, so I won't. His teaming possibly being like Sinnoh. (This happened in XY as well, a lot of similarities between Kalos and Hoenn anime.)
    ~ The Incenaroar Trainer seems to be like Paul, like I said earlier. Thinking power is all that matters.
    ~ The girl has a Piplup, similar to Dawn. But also has Misty's hair style and is a tomboy.
    ~ Lucario is overused, but out of all the overused pokemon, why choose another Sinnoh pokemon?

I know that is a bit off topic, but just trying to explain what I think. But I know what you mean.

Also, do you guys think Ash will catch Charizard again? I kinda want him to, but then again I don't. I'd rather see Infernape and Incenaroar go at it. What other pokemon do you guys think he will catch in the movie? It seems that he catches Butterfree again.

Back