• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

News: Pokémon Red and Green inducted into World Video Game Hall of Fame

bobandbill

one more time
Years

• You may know them as Pokémon Red and Blue. The first Pokémon games joins the Hall of Fame along with the like of Donkey Kong, Halo: Combat Evolved and Street Fighter II.

Read all about it!

Wicked3DS

[b]Until the very end.[/b]
    Years
  • Totally deserved. Considering how revolutionary Pokémon is and how successful the franchise has been, there's no way it doesn't belong in the all of fame of gaming.

Years
  • Really deserved, I was able to play Red as a kid although I never owned a copy myself. Definitely two iconic games.

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • I take it that there's a "one game per franchise" policy for the World Video Game Hall of Fame? If so, then I find it confusing how a game like Pokémon Red and Green that hasn't aged well and is riddled with broken mechanics gets in over its successors that fixed those problems, because I feel the World Video Game Hall of Fame reserves only high-quality games that withstood the tests of time.

lilbluedemon

Crunching the numbers!
    Years
    • Seen May 4, 2019
    Heheh, hall of fame!

It's well deserved, Generation 1 raised a Generation of children, and will always be in their hearts. (Me being one of those children).

Years
  • I take it that there's a "one game per franchise" policy for the World Video Game Hall of Fame? If so, then I find it confusing how a game like Pok?mon Red and Green that hasn't aged well and is riddled with broken mechanics gets in over its successors that fixed those problems, because I feel the World Video Game Hall of Fame reserves only high-quality games that withstood the tests of time.

Aside from the possible "one game per franchise policy", I think it's based on how influential a game is, especially in relationship to Pop/Gaming Culture and History. Although the new games do sell well and they are also less buggy and technically speaking, more mechanically refine, they are not as well known to the general public in comparison to Pokemon RGBY. Thus Pokemon RGBY has a larger presence among people who aren't Pokemon enthusiast. Therefore, the mainline gen 1 games are generally consider more influential.

But that being said, Pokemon's success was a pretty grand accomplishment for it's time. When Pokemon was still a new franchise, it was one of the few JRPGs were it's popularity in Japan was almost on par with it's popularity outside of Japan. That feat alone is enough to justify it's place on the Hall of Fame. I do think the anime had a lot to do with it but that's a story for another time.

Back