• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen 3rd Gen Underrated?

Status
Not open for further replies.

psyanic

pop a wheelie on a zeitgeist
Years
    • Age 27
    • USA
    • Seen Apr 10, 2023
    I'm surprised it's underrated. It was a transitional series really, testing out natures and variable ev's/iv's, making competitive battling more... competitive. The games were a bit more lengthy, the maps looked bigger in water and also the Pokemon looked more interesting. The Hoenn games are probably my favorite. The only downfall I could see was that the Pokemon began to drop in design and incentive. Look from each generation to the next, and I say they look gradually a little more "realistic" as in a character view. Such as them looking more evil and tougher I guess. This is probably why I hate Gen 5. But anyway, the Legendaries took a more bigger and badder look, being used to seeing cute Mew and Celebi, along with majestic birds, it was kind of a step forward.

Well, I probably contradicted myself in a few points, but that's just my general view.

solarowl

I'll always be an Outsider.
    Years
  • RSE were great games.
    People are usually in two groups about 3rd Gen. It's either people who loved the game (like me), or people who absolutely hated it.
    I'm not really sure why it is underrated. They were awesome games, yet no one really plays them anymore. :/

Years
  • I don't see why 3rd gen is underrated. The addition of two rivaling villain teams was was creative and no other generation has that to come yet. It also made me start loving animated sprites and battle themes. :)

Also, I don't quite understand how Legendaries aren't majestic and cool-looking? Kyogre and Rayquaza totally look godly IMHO. And if you want cuties like Mew, you have Jirachi here. :>

I have to agree with Sydian too. I like Gen 4, and don't see a fuss over it. Maybe it's just the irony of us hardcore Pokefans? o_O

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    No, they're not underrated. As this thread shows, plenty of people still like them. Just these people tend not to emphasise this fact in other forums, and most of the new people are more into Gen IV/V, hence why they're new.

Obviously, with Gen IV being newer and Gen V being, well, the newest, they get more attention - I'm pretty sure most if not all of the people posting in this thread play those generations.

I do like how people pointed out the pattern, and that surely it's Gen III's time to enter the spotlight again, albeit hopefully as part of Gen V (but on DS, not 3DS, or I'm sure quite a few people will be disappointed).

Pokemon Game Fan

The Batman
    Years
  • No they are not. Fire Red and Leaf Green are talked about so much, and almost every person I personally know that plays Pokemon games has one of the two. Maybe RSE is, although even those games are talked about a lot so I wouldn't exactly say so.

~*!*~Tatsujin Gosuto~*!*~

Buffalo State College
    Years
  • I dont think its underrated now because many people want to see a remake of Ruby and Sapphire. But as for FireRed and LeafGreen, not that many people that I know of talked about the games even when it came

:t354:TG

Years
  • All I acn say is 3rd Gen had the best pokemon, the best story line and most frankly the best HM, Dive. In my opinion that is.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024

I believe you mean some of the best pokémon :P
    You can't dislike Munchlax...or Bonsly really. Mime Jr. I'll forgive you, but Gen IV did have some good ones.

And quite a lot of the Kanto pokémon, which were featured in Gen III, are pretty cool like Bulbasaur.

But Dive is brilliant. As is Hoenn.

TheGr8

lovely pair<3
    Years
  • After my black run through, VGC I went to, Working on my shiny Snivy, I am going to be finishing my Emerald run through, which I can't wait. I have played since Red and Blue, and I like all of the gens to be honest.

Brendan859

Hoenn Champion
    Years
  • In my opinion,I don't think it's underrated.Recently more and more people want an R/S/E remake.R/S/E have the best Plot,the best Music and the Best Legendaries.I think FR/LG is underrated now,not R/S/E.

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
  • Their not underrated their acknowledged. RSE and LG/FR had it's glory day it was the big thing, would anyone at that time think it is underated with all the things it brought to the table? Like Two Criminal Syndicates, Use of Wireless when trading eliminating the need for link cables, EVs, Weather, Contests, and so on. There is no Generation that is underrated they all have their quirks to them. People will always have their own bias to what they think is the best and what is not. Personally they are all highly rated in my eyes or else they wouldn't be some of the top selling games for the time they were "it".

Golden Warrior

Pokemon Professor
    Years
  • Truly...

I believe that Pokemon is getting more different looks. It basically depends on the person. When Black and White came out, I thought those Pokemon were WIERD compared to the gen. 3 Pokemon. Although, the third generation was my favorite. So to answer you question. For me: No. For others: All dependson the person.

Years
  • Do you think 3rd Gen is underrated?

I do. Most people play R/B/Y/G/S/C for nostalgia and others play D/P/Pt/HG/SS/B/W just because they're new. I think 3rd Gen needs more love.

What do you think?
    Oh my gosh, this is so true. If I had a coin for every time I've been told to take off my nostalgia goggles I could get myself a Porygon! They say "you only like the old Pokemon because of nostalgia". Maybe they only like the new Pokemon because they're new? /rant

Gen 3 seems to be getting a lot o love now, it' like the nostalgia shifted from Gen 2 to Gen 3. It makes sense though, Gen 3 had the best region, Pokemon, music, etc. Emerald's my favorite Pokemon game, if you couldn't already guess.

I believe that Pokemon is getting more different looks. It basically depends on the person. When Black and White came out, I thought those Pokemon were WIERD compared to the gen. 3 Pokemon. Although, the third generation was my favorite. So to answer you question. For me: No. For others: All dependson the person.
    Pokemon are changing. People are denying it, but this is a fact. Generally the designs are getting less realistic and animal-like and have begun to get more complicated with a more cartoonish style.

Years
    • Seen Sep 9, 2011
    Definitely underrated! I can't really get into any games beyond Emerald tbh... I'm just not feeling it, and they keep adding all of this unnecessary stuff imo idk...

Pokemon are changing. People are denying it, but this is a fact. Generally the designs are getting less realistic and animal-like and have begun to get more complicated with a more cartoonish style.

Yes, I agree; now all of the Pokémon are like these extravagant sprites that don't even look as cool as the first 3 gens imo
    I really don't like the new stuff at all for that as well

Last edited:

Major Tom

♖♞♝♚ ♛♝♞♖
    Years
  • I loved Gen III and Ii think it was the second best gen only behind Gen V.

But I do see why quite a bit of people hate it, it was before the newer games (Gens IV/V) and the older games (Gens I/II) so it was stuck in the middle as the odd one.

But they where still extremely good games and also they where the first to have many things that made the new games so good and still had the things that made the old ones good too. But one of the big reasons why people hate it and it did not sell quite as well as the other Pokemon games was the fact that they where released when Pokemon's popularity was at a low and also that people could not trade Pokemon from Gen II games to it.

So over all I think they are very underrated.

Last edited:

blue

gucci
    Years
  • When I saw this thread I had to have my say.

Of course Gen III was underated (R/S/E anyway) they're such great games that hardly anyone appreciates for what they actually are and hopefully if a remake comes along in a couple of years people will change their opinion.

Nerdy Mojo

No Lifer
    Years
    • Seen Jul 28, 2014
    i REALLY think its underrated. atm i dont have a ds so ive been playing gba games for a while, and the main game i play is sapphire(harvest moon friends of mineral town is second). so far ive played a new file with omega(combusken) instead of swampert. started about 45 hours ago and have clocked 22 hours sooooo........i love this game. honestly though nothing beats your first pokemon game so ill stick with red version as my favorite of all time

B3R

UK Number 1
    Years
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 27, 2012
    I started on Ruby so that must be my favourite.
    It isn't liked much by the mainstream but rom hackers seem to love it.

okjoek

Hoenn champ
    Years
  • Well There are a lot of viewers on the gen 3 forum selection so I don't think so. What could be causing the feeling might be that it was such a great region of the past that still hasn't been remade while the others have.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back