• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Music '80s jams

Her

Years
    • Seen today
    itt we discuss/share our favourite '80s songs
    extra points for synth
    minus points for non-synth

Last edited:

killer-curry

Oro.........?
    Years
    I start with the very first song of 80s - Video Killed The Radio Star by the Buggles.

The mix of disco 70s and new 80s pop is quite great and the mtv is the first music video ever aired in the tv stations.

Years
    Elvis Costello was active with The Attractions right through the 80s. Although his music was incredibly varied I unfortunately can't remember any synth loops.

Here's a song from King of America, an album with a touch of country music of all things. This arraignment has traditional Irish pipes, gotta love pipes.

Elvis Costello is one of the more enviable people in music for me. Easily one of the best that our country has produced and then goes on to marry an equally talented [and much more beautiful] jazz musician.
    Spoiler:

Talk about a power couple.
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    I can't narrow down my favorite songs of the 80's. I enjoy the entire decade of music.

So I'll start of with two of my absolute favorites.

Toto's "Africa" is one I like just because of the feelings it invokes. It just sounds like a great song. The lyrics don't always make sense (I type as the line about Kilimanjaro plays), but it's just...a great song.

And I like the Outfield's "Your Love" simply for the drums. Also, for some reason, this is one of the many songs that just feels like the 80's, and I can just imagine what the world was like when this song was released.

When I have more time, I'll just dedicate an entire post to Paul Simon's Graceland album. And then another one all about Phil Collins.

maccrash

foggy notion
    Years
    I FUCKING LOVE 'AFRICA.' that song is incredible. I'm gonna make a big list of my favorite '80s songs that have no business being as good as they are, but for now I'll name two: 'The Boys of Summer' by Don Henley & 'Take on Me' by a-Ha.

Years
    That Toto song is so overplayed for me I can't listen to it anymore.

I mostly like my 80s dark but I can't help but like a good synth pop song.

Spoiler:

Margot

some things are that simple
    Years
    • they/he
    • Seen Apr 16, 2022
    80's music in my main love, how did I miss this? My freshman year of high school was spent listening to 80's pop and my freshman year of college was dedicated to 80's rock. I got the best of both worlds. I'm sure I listened to "Crazy For You" by Madonna a little over 100 times.

Other songs:
    I wanna Dance With Somebody - Whitney Houston
    Total Eclipse of the Heart - Bonnie Tyler
    Like a Prayer - Madonna
    Open Your Heart - Madonna
    Thriller - Michael Jackson
    Welcome to the Jungle - Guns n' Roses
    Rocket Queen - Guns n' Roses
    Really, the entire Appetite for Destruction album to save myself time.
    Aerosmith + Run DMC - Walk This Way
    Livin on a Prayer - Bon Jovi
    You Give Love a Bad Name - Bon Jovi
    Bad - Michael Jackson
    Angel - Aerosmith
    Janie's Got a Gun - Aerosmith
    I Don't Want to Miss a Thing - Aerosmith
    Crazy - Aerosmith

I could literally go on forever, I barely got the tip of the iceberg, 80's had the some of the best music and fashion and I loved it ALL.

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    Aerosmith didn't record "I Don't Want To Miss A Thing" until 1997. Their song "Angel" is one of my favorite songs, and the entire reason why I bought the 2-CD greatest hits album.

We need more songs by female artists in here, and since I was listening to my "Women of the 80s" CD one night, I have a few songs in mind.

I don't know exactly why I enjoy this song so much, but I do.

Here's some synthpop by Bananarama.

This song just gets me amped up and ready for adventure. To the point where I want to kick in doors.

Years
    • Seen Sep 4, 2017
    My favourite songs from the 80s have to be:

Def Leppard- Hysteria
    Van Halen-Hot for Teacher
    Motley Crue- Dr Feelgood
    Asia- Heat of the Moment
    Journey-Anyway you want it
    Iron Maiden- 2 minutes to midnight
    Marillion- Kayleigh
    Genesis-Abacab
    Queen- A Kind of Magic
    AC/DC- Hells Bells
    Starship-We built this city
    Quiet Riot-Come on feel the noise

Harmonie

Winds ღ
    Years
    I'm really not a big fan of the 80s. Such an awkward decade.

Despite not really liking Journey, and especially not liking their 80s output which is so annoying and overplayed, I think that 'Separate Ways' is a great song.

Tears For Fear's Everybody Wants to Rule The World is also pretty good, and I really don't like synth pop.

Otherwise, the 80s can go away. lol

Back