• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A moderator thinks they might want to quit.

Years
    I would advise the moderator to do a LoA, and detox themselves from the forum. Come back after about two weeks, and see how you feel.
    If you're still not feeling it, it's time to resign.

Meganium

[i]memento mori[/i]
    Years
    A part of me should have taken a DLoA than just outright resign when I gave up my modding position @ TWL. xD

But I was just emotionally stressed out at the time that I couldn't think straight, which is something that I will tell the mod first and foremost if they want to quit. A 2-3 week Demotion Leave will be much essential because they can reflect on whether they want to stay on PC as a staff member, or stay on PC as a regular member and not deal with mod duties, or leave PC as a whole and enjoy life the way it's meant to be. It's the best way because outright resigning will leave you with a feeling of regret, so it's always best to *think* about it before you jump the shark.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    A part of me should have taken a DLoA than just outright resign when I gave up my modding position @ TWL. xD

But I was just emotionally stressed out at the time that I couldn't think straight, which is something that I will tell the mod first and foremost if they want to quit. A 2-3 week Demotion Leave will be much essential because they can reflect on whether they want to stay on PC as a staff member, or stay on PC as a regular member and not deal with mod duties, or leave PC as a whole and enjoy life the way it's meant to be. It's the best way because outright resigning will leave you with a feeling of regret, so it's always best to *think* about it before you jump the shark.

Would you ever go back to NU/W given the chance?

Clebby

Antidisestablishmentarian
    Years
    I have never had this happen to me, but I'm sure other people have. From my perspective, there is nothing really stopping them from leaving; you cannot force them to stay and keep their obligations as a moderator, but at the same time, you cannot force them into leaving and getting considered yourself as a result. Either situation would result in some form of guilt occurring in the long run, and that is never good. The best thing to really do is to tell them that they should think things through and do what they see as the best choice.

Though, if I had to go for one or the other, I would lean toward them staying, depending on the situation. If it's a minor matter with stress or something like that, then staying could help, as long as it comes with a bit of time away from the forum. If the issue is more dire (i.e. a personal loss, hospitalization, etc.), then I'd steer them in the direction of leaving. From my perspective, their suffering will not be helped as much online as it would in the real world.

DarkSerenity

Kari-Chan
    Years
    I'd tell them to stay... I could not handle the responsibilities if I were to become one XD
    But If they kept acting all 'nnuuu i wanna go' then I'll shove them out the door ^^

Blastin'Tyruntz

Keeps blasting off again!
    Years
    It would be hard to let any mod go, but, i would say them to pursue whatever they like in life and that they have my full support. I don't care if i have a chance to replace them, i want them to know that the community thanks them for what they have done, because being a mod on a forum is something like a hobby. You don't get paid for that, it's from your free time and you need to handle a lot. So i would like them to know how much i care about them. Really, the mods are humans too, they have lives and families. They can do anything they want in life, and if it involves being off PC, so be it.

Limey-chan

Batzu
    Years
    I've been a moderator/global mod on forums where staff have either quit or been removed, and it's not a nice feeling knowing they want/have to go, especially if they're your friends.

It all depends on the person and the situation though. The most common reason I got for people wanting to step down was to focus on school/college/uni, which is understandable really. No matter how good a job you're doing, how active you are, or how much you enjoy your role/where you moderate, you can't really let it stand in the way of more important real-life stuff.

Last edited:

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I try to get them to stay. I haven't actually been here that long, but what time I have been here and what interaction with mods I have had I like the ones we have and it would suck to see any one of them have to leave because I'd be worried of someone else getting their power and abusing it or not doing as good a job/not being able to fill the old mod's shoes. But if the mod really needs to/wants to leave then I'd wish them the best and hope they come back to that position again sometime.

Salamence62

you're gonna hear me rawr :3
    Years
    if i liked them then i'd sadly tell them what they're doing is right because checking somebody else's posts all day to see if they're spamming is a waste of life. :(

i'd encourage them to seek out better things in life and stuff. and if i got the job, yipee!! ^^

Tlachtli

Crit happens.
    Years
    Having been a mod on a different forum, I can say I've seen situations like this more than once. If you ask me, it really isn't our place to weigh in at all; unless asked directly I never suggested to go or to stay.

Usually when someone considers leaving a community they are invested in (such as, one in which they are a moderator) it's for good reason. Maybe they are having personal issues, or maybe their work has finally caught up to them, or maybe they're just fed up with member drama. Whatever the reason, it's their reason and not mine.

Back