• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A More Fully 3D World!

Years
  • Like Xander, the graphic style is similar to X/Y but the character bodies are now better proportioned, around the level we got in Colosseum and XD. Also, it appears our trainer actually now appears during the idle battle screen as well, but aside from it it's pretty much functioning like 6th Gen's.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • The graphics seem to have improved, but they do appear similar to X/Y which was to be expected given that it is on the same console as those games. It's obvious they have updated most aspects of it though, the models look more realistic and the Region as a whole looks more colourful.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Doesn't look different? The changes are actually way bigger than you think.

For one, the game is doing away with grid based movement. It actually looks like it has proper scale, on top of the more proportioned models. Pokemon is finally moving away from archaic design and is looking more like a modern RPG. This is huge. It is not gonna be like XYORAS lol.

Years
  • It's great that by 2016 they have heard of the Legend of Zelda series. Looks a bit like a Colosseum knock-off, though, not much new graphically. It does look a bit like a combination between 'Wind Waker,' for instance, and an FF game, but the cod GTA-esque parts are quite amusing. As mentioned, it's becoming a bit disconnected from the earlier games in the series, and veering more towards a different form of game with the same tropes thrown in for good luck. The graphic style here is fairly lackadaisical and upbeat, and for instance G/S's rival would look completely out-of-place in a slightly humorous way. It's a bit more simplistic and childish than those other games. They aren't that distant from X/Y, nonetheless, in terms of what they can convey and so on, and would probably make for a similar experience if they rely on the same game features by this point.

LilBueno

Boy Wonder
    Years
  • No chibi? Oh please, tell me we don't have chibi.
    I wouldn't have minded the chibi style of XY's non-battle designs if the whole game was that way. But more realistic in-battle sprites while out-of-battle sprites were disproportionate went out of style after FFVII and is just a pain for the eyes. I was rooting for the in-battle character styles to become the solid norm.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
  • Well I am a fan of the 2D games, so I lost all hopes many years ago.
    (That's not only with Pokemon, but for all the 2D games that had changed to 3D)

I saw a little improvement but honestly not that much of a big change since the last games.

Years
  • No chibi? Oh please, tell me we don't have chibi.
    I wouldn't have minded the chibi style of XY's non-battle designs if the whole game was that way. But more realistic in-battle sprites while out-of-battle sprites were disproportionate went out of style after FFVII and is just a pain for the eyes. I was rooting for the in-battle character styles to become the solid norm.

I knew that since I saw the concept art that chibi overworld trainers were no longer going to be a thing, but I love this new advancement because it shows just how much more work Game Freak have been putting into the games and as we know, Pokemon does eventually have to move to modern trends.

Years
  • I didn't like the changes in XY but I got used to them. I expect I'll do the same once I've got the game in my hands and am actually playing. It looks pretty smooth. It'll be interesting to see what the backs of things are now.

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Surprised people aren't seeing the differences. It's obviously the same engine, but there's huge changes here. Camera, geometry, lack of grid, character models, scale, etc. The game's environments actually look organic and not as awkward now that there's no more tiles. The beach isn't blocky and weird looking anymore for one. It's actually a huge jump that people have been asking for years. Basically it's an actual 3D game now.

The question is the framerate though. I'm not expecting much, but I seriously hope it's a lot better than XY.

Years
  • OR/AS was like the start of what we saw coming in Sun & Moon, since you were able to run off the grid. Alola definitely looks more detailed and less like previous regions, and while this seems to be the beta shown in the trailer, I'm sure the final release will end up being better, like Lumiose City from the first X/Y trailer compared to the actual game.

Years
  • I do like the new graphics style, but I have always loved the chibi characters for the overworld. The only thing I am hoping is that the frame rate is good and that we have freaking 3D all the time. If there is no 3D I will be so disappointed, maybe at least on the new 3DS we can have 3D permanently.

COOLTRAINER♂

Speedball 2: Brutal Vanilluxe
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2019
    The disclaimer is still there on the US box cover - the New 3DS has more CPU cores and can run at a higher clockspeed but an unchanged graphics chip, so it still won't be able to handle 3D display in multi battles. X&Y do run slighty better when forced to run at the N3DS clockrate so I imagine there will be a slightly higher performance boost with truly optimized code rather than just brute force.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I like how they're keeping more proportionate characters on the overworld. All I can hope for is that the dynamic camera is retained throughout the game, and isn't limited to just the starting location.

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    It'd be pretty cool if you could have full control over the games camera. That'd be a great feature. 8)

That is something I would love for them to incorporate! I wonder if they would do it now, though, when it would only be possible on the New3DS, or if we'd have to wait until the standard version of the system comes with a c-stick/pad.

Back