• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

A new hacker?

LCKay

A Hacker of the Future
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    Hello all,
    I have been playing pokemon games for a very long time and now I think I have enough knowledge to start hacking pokemon games. Sadly though, I have no knowledge in this area what so ever. I have downloaded a few hacking tools such as Advance maps and elite maps, hex workshop and a-text. I have read a lot of the Tutorial documents but I still am pretty lost. If any one could please give me lessons or pointers, please do. I am really in need.

Thank you

LCkay

Teh Baro

In my times...!
    Years
    The best advice I can give you is to try to research and understand the stuff yourself. It's not too complicated. Don't be shy on trying things and MAKE BACKUPS OF THE ROM. Good luck

~Dai-kun~

The black wind howls again...
    Years
    What baro said basically but what u wanna do first is start reading tutorials and see what ur good at(Beta Tester not a skill)

Years
    • Seen Jul 12, 2007
    I can help you with hacking maps text sprits and trainers

Good Luck though because i can't help untill i get the national dex

If you want LCKAY i can type up a Few easy tutorials for you to under stan like Mapping Text editing And Spriting how does that sound.
    ill be back soon too help

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    Don't worry about being a new hacker because I started hacking a few years ago on Pokémon Blue/Red then went onto Gold/Silver then when the Pokémon came to GBA I started on Ruby/Sapphire but I am still learning minor things.

So my advice is dont be afraid to try new things and as everyone says make a back-up in case you make a mistake and corrupt the rom because that is the worst thing about corruption is that once you do it you will have start from scratch.

LCKay

A Hacker of the Future
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    Thanks all for your advice.

I made a backup of my FR and created a whole new pallet town with advance maps. I guess just going for it is the best way to learn. But there are some things im still unclear of. Such as, how can I change the starter pokemon in FR? Is it possible to put 4th gen pokemon in FR? Also, How do I change where a character event happens? For example when proffesor oak comes to get me before I go into the wild.

Thanks again for all your help,

LCkay

BlackDragonite

Austrian Pokémon Expert
    Years
    Try A-Starter (Toolsource Thread) to edit the starters.
    Yes, you can insert 4th generation Pokémon, but don´t ask me how^^
    You can change the place of events with Advance Map, or you can change everything of the event with scripting.

Hope this helped.
    Oh, and a great programm for beginner is Amplifier 2006 Ae, because you can easily change names, stats, evolving attacks, and so on.
    It´s not allowed to post the link in here, but PM me if you want it^^

SytheXP

Net Labs/UG Founder
    Years
    Meh being new isnt to complicated. Get the right tools and my advice is dont start with GBA roms but use the GBC series (More tools and resources are understood better) in my opinion and make a few basic hacks to learn the basic things. My whole teams new to pkmn rom hacking we've all used our skills prior to hacking but just started not to long ago. Um thats pretty much all the info anyone can give. To sprite is easy use MS paint or any other graphic editing program and depending on program used save as bmp or png files. For scripting I cant help you there. Also a bit of info try to join a team, Having team mates to help you is easier than soloing anything. That way you dont have to worry about everything by your self. Hope I helped some......

duncanrcook

Excellent!
    Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen Sep 20, 2012
    if you have questions about rom hacking, ask in the simple questions thread

Years
    • Seen Mar 16, 2008
    what pokemon hacking tools are the best to start off with
    Im just staring and trying to make a hack of a game

Years
    • Seen Apr 22, 2008
    ya im kinda new idk how to use hex workshop for emerald will any1help me
    (i just wanna kno how to change random encounters like from a whismur to charmander)

download advancemaps. load the ROM, find the map you want to change the encounter on. Click on "Wild Pokemon View" and it should show you every pokemon you can run into there, along with the level range. simply click the whismur in the text box, type "char" and it should take you to CHARMANDER. make sure it says that in the text box, and then select the level range you would like to have. for instance, if you want a level 50, put min=50 max=50. and you can also change the frequency index, which is how often you run into the pokemon, but i'm not sure if lower means more often or vice versa. so i hope that helped, idk cause i only started yesterday. :pirate:

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Backups of ROMs are your best friend. Usually a newbie hacker like you can make mistakes more frequently. Now, don't take this personally, because you have to face it, newbies are worse then experts, common knowledge.

If you should mess up somewhere, it might just result in your ROM crashing, therefore you have to make backups using LIPS (an IPS program) to make your IPS patch.

Next best thing is just to experiment. Best way to learn is hands-on. Use these tips you're getting from the thread to help you experiment, and just start doing it.

Sometimes people get way ahead of themselves and as soon as they make a relatively OK map, they think they can do anything and start a ROMHack, and make the thread here at PC. The following week they close it because they realize they're not half what they thought they were. So make sure you've gotten a few months of experience, because people here at PC expect a lot, PC has real good hacks, and you'll have to keep up with that.

I think that's about all I can tell you. Just remember: Keep backups, and do not get ahead of yourself...

LCKay

A Hacker of the Future
    Years
    • Seen Nov 2, 2009
    This thread was not made for all new hackers to ask questions. I just needed a few things. If you have a questoion you should ask on the Simple Questions thread.

Back