• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Tool: [A.S.H] Another Script Helper

Joexv

ManMadeOfGouda joexv.github.io
Years
  • Introduction:
    First off how many hours do you think you've put into your rom hack with just typing the same scripts over and over again? Hours? Days? Months? Definitely a long time. And for those of us with hurting joints or with failing muscles in our arms, it really takes its toll. So with that in mind heres ASH's background:
    I wanted to make something that helped the intermediate/advanced Gen 3 scripters, so I grabbed my old coding computer and got to work. I started off with the idea to help beginners learn how to use XSE commands via script generator, but then I remembered back to the days of when I first started scripting and how I had used one over and over again, not even bothering to learn how the commands worked or how they needed to be used. So with that in mind I started work on ASH, a script helper that is meant for more advanced scripters to save time. It doesnt creat the scripts for you it just makes it a little quicker and easier to write up.
    Info on program: This was written in Visual Basic 2013, .net framework is needed(as far as I'm aware)
    I do have antivirus and have scanned the program, using Eset.

These buttons do the command typing for you, all you have to do is write down what sprite or what offset you want into the 5 given text boxes and BAM! You've got yourself a script. Once you've got your script made just highlight, Ctrl-C, go to XSE Crtl-V and compile. Simple right?
    ASH has all the basic commands I could think of and as many of the advanced ones too!
    You don't even have to rewrite #dynamic 0x800000 #org @start anymore! It's now just a click of a button!
    This is an installed program, but that will allow automatic updates in the future.(it's not even half a megabyte though so don't worry about space)

Screenshots:
    Spoiler:

Planned Features:
    More commands
    Better UI
    Automatic dynamic offsets and string creation
    Ability to use dec OR hex
    Hovering over a command's button will show information on command.

Instructions:
    Spoiler:

Download:
    Current Version
    v1.1.00
    Old versions

Changelog:
    Code:
    v1 Initial release
    v1.0.01 Now a stand alone program
    v1.1.00 Added new Mart scripts and item checkboxes as a nice clean way to keep track of your marts items
    Added some automatic script generators for basic scripts. Fixed some issues with a few scripts.
    Removed annoying help after fadescreens in the warp scripts
    Added about, contact and options bar.
    Fixed some internal application stuff to better work with Windows.
    I some how made it smaller, Yay!
    Increased Font size of variable boxes

Last edited:

qaz015393

pokemon revenge developer
    Years
    • Seen May 13, 2024
    Really nice program man. I do amid when i script i spend a lot of time that my hands cramp up and start to fall asleep. Very great program.

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Seems like a good idea, and a pretty solid program, but I REALLY hope that people don't just download this program to make scripts for them and just be like "lolz i can sript with this prgram XDDDDDDD!"

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    Why not? What's wrong with making scripting more accessible?

Is XSE not accessible enough? I mean, yeah it's a pretty solid tool idea, but like I mentioned previously, I really don't want people to just have this just because it writes it for them. In my opinion, scripting is really easy to learn, there's a bunch of tutorials. But anyways, to each their own.

Years
  • Is XSE not accessible enough? I mean, yeah it's a pretty solid tool idea, but like I mentioned previously, I really don't want people to just have this just because it writes it for them. In my opinion, scripting is really easy to learn, there's a bunch of tutorials. But anyways, to each their own.
    To some people it may not be. My question is why you
    really don't want people to just have this just because it writes it for them.
    What's wrong with more people being able to hack? Reducing the barrier of entry only encourages innovation, no?

Danny0317

Fluorite's back, brah
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Nov 19, 2023
    To some people it may not be. My question is why you What's wrong with more people being able to hack? Reducing the barrier of entry only encourages innovation, no?

I don't get your first question?

And yeah, I guess you're right, but I feel as if it's making things too easy, but yeah, I really shouldn't give a **** about that

Years
    • Age 27
    • OH
    • Seen May 10, 2024
    Not a bad idea, necessarily, although using a bunch of buttons will likely clutter up the interface pretty quickly.

In the planned features, by "automatic", do you mean like a basic script generator?

Joexv

Years
  • Not a bad idea, necessarily, although using a bunch of buttons will likely clutter up the interface pretty quickly.

In the planned features, by "automatic", do you mean like a basic script generator?

Nah that would be making things too easy. No it will probably just be auto dynamic offsets so you dont have to type them. Along with the ability to start new strings for text and maybe have a built in text thing like xse.

Years
    • Seen Feb 16, 2018
    I don't get your first question?

And yeah, I guess you're right, but I feel as if it's making things too easy, but yeah, I really shouldn't give a **** about that

I can see what you mean Dark Sneasel aswell. But, There's some people like me who follow multiple tutorials and even after that the NPCs End up with some glitched shop, freezes, or even not doing anything with the new scripts

kearnseyboy6

Aussie's Toughest Mudder
    Years
    • Seen Jun 22, 2019
    Since XSE is very user friendly, clicking compared to writing won't really save time in my opinion.

I suggest making automatic scripts by clicking a button and typing a response:

#org @auto
    msgbox @manual 0x2
    end

#org @manual
    = Prompt user to type here.

Also this could be extended to general options: Yes/No etc.

Years
  • Since XSE is very user friendly, clicking compared to writing won't really save time in my opinion.

I suggest making automatic scripts by clicking a button and typing a response:

#org @auto
    msgbox @manual 0x2
    end

#org @manual
    = Prompt user to type here.

Also this could be extended to general options: Yes/No etc.

This is a nice idea, but ultimately XSE still trumps this tool in the form of Script Templates which are customisable and everything.

Years
    • Seen Apr 17, 2015
    Norton detects a virus in this program are you sure there isn't one?My norton is infamous for screwing up so that's why I'm asking.

Joexv

Years
  • Norton detects a virus in this program are you sure there isn't one?My norton is infamous for screwing up so that's why I'm asking.

Yep Im positive theres no virus scanned it myself with Eset and the built in window antivirus. Which I dont trust windows but ya know.

Zehn

[color=red][font=Foto Serif]Sacred[/font][/color][
    Years
  • This is really good, it will help with scripting since I am a slow at type xD. Anyway just wondering do I still need XSE to compile the script into the hack?

Joexv

Years
  • This is really good, it will help with scripting since I am a slow at type xD. Anyway just wondering do I still need XSE to compile the script into the hack?

Yes you still need XSE, this program does not compile scripts for you. Maybe in a future update though....Maybe..

Zehn

Years
  • ok thanks! should I credit you in my hack if I use this tool?

Zehn

Years
  • by he way, sorry if this is not relevant, but is this a change sprite command. I need to change the playable characters sprite at different points during the hack. is there a way to do this or will I have to hex edit.

Back