• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Ability without Move support

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
Years
  • I was filling up my Pokedex, by trading on the GTS, and managed to get a Fenniken with the Magician ability. Cool!

I've noticed one glaring omission that has me bewildered- none of the Fenniken evolution stages can learn Fling.... It would be so perfect a move when you can grab items consistently :/

Maybe they didn't want a Magician Delphox to wreck PvP?

Has anyone else noticed new Pokemon that have an ability they can't really use to full potential due to move pool limitations?

EDIT: The funny thing about my Delphox is that is has Hidden Ability - Dark :)

Last edited:

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Delphox is just an all around fail. Even if it had access to fling it wouldn't wreck PvP as it would have to survive a hit to then fling the item, which is highly unlikely. Plus both the initial attack to activate Magician and the subsequent fling are physical attacks which Delphox sucks at.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I was filling up my Pokedex, by trading on the GTS, and managed to get a Fenniken with the Magician ability. Cool!

I've noticed one glaring omission that has me bewildered- none of the Fenniken evolution stages can learn Fling.... It would be so perfect a move when you can grab items consistently :/

Maybe they didn't want a Magician Delphox to wreck PvP?

Has anyone else noticed new Pokemon that have an ability they can't really use to full potential due to move pool limitations?

EDIT: The funny thing about my Delphox is that is has Hidden Ability - Dark :)

Yes. Tyrantrum. It has an ability that boosts the power of biting moves, but only learns 2: Bite and Crunch, and Crunch is just a better version of Bite. It has to learn Fire, Thunder, Ice, and Poison Fang via breeding.

But it gets better. Tyrantrum learns Head Smash! It also gets Rock Head as a Hidden Ability! The problem? There's currently no way to get a Tyrantrum with Rock Head (and I would love a Head Smash Tyrantrum).

Quinn

Shall we get down to business?
    Years
  • I like delphox, it and Greninja are one of my favorite starters. However it's hidden ability to me without fling or not is not very good, so i keep blaze on mine.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Doublade has almost no use for No Guard since its less accurate move is Metal Sound which is at 85. If it had gotten moves like Will o Wisp or Cross Chop then it would have taken advantage of the ability.

hiff8

Gotta Derp em all
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2015
    Seeeppt, that Even if she DID have that ability, she has 0 bulk, very little psychical (to use fling) and 0 coverage.

Years
    • PR
    • Seen Sep 16, 2014
    Pyroar has a base 65 attack stat, yet its hidden ability is Moxie. Why.

The only proper use I can think of, is to use it in Doubles with Entrainment. Maybe you could pass Moxie to a Pokemon like Garchomp or Metagross, just an idea.

Sandslash Fan

Spikey Boi
    Years
  • Delphox is just an all around fail. Even if it had access to fling it wouldn't wreck PvP as it would have to survive a hit to then fling the item, which is highly unlikely. Plus both the initial attack to activate Magician and the subsequent fling are physical attacks which Delphox sucks at.
    Having the Magician hidden ability, though, means that you wouldn't need to learn Thief... and special attack should also steal a held item (unless I'm reading the ability incorrectly).

Christopher

Hear Me Roar
    Years
  • Having the Magician hidden ability, though, means that you wouldn't need to learn Thief... and special attack should also steal a held item (unless I'm reading the ability incorrectly).

I thought I read somewhere that it had to be a physical move, but I can't find where I read it so...maybe not. I'll go test it later.
    Even if it can steal with special it has to out speed the pokemon it's stealing from which it might be able to do with pokemon other than sweepers, but what's it going to once it has the item? Nothing, it would be a small nuisance at best, knocked out on the next turn. I guess you could use a gem + the ability but according to outside sites the ability won't activate on the turn an item is used.

EDIT:
    Special moves do indeed activate Magician, I still don't see this pokemon catching on in competitive play(opinion).

Last edited:
    Back