• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Acclaimed anime that you dislike because reasons

Melody

Banned
Years
  • The inverse of grimdark is noblebright.

Examples:

Slayers = noblebright, Berserk = grimdark
    Fable = noblebright, Dark Souls = grimdark
    South Korea = noblebright, North Korea = grimdark
    Advance Wars (in general) = noblebright, Advance Wars: Days of Ruin = grimdark
    Power metal = noblebright, Black metal = grimdark

Here's a few more examples: https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Noblebright

Also, if grimdark is not your forte, Melody, then I recommend you do NOT watch Now and Then, Here and There

I wouldn't say that I'm adverse to Grimdark; Digimon Tamers, Soul Eater, Harry Potter (4-7), Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Kaze no Stigma and more are all examples of grimdark that have spots in my heart as great anime/grimdark works!

What I have a dislike towards is examples of gratuitous Grimdark which only one title in that category has ever made my favorite list and that's Puella Magi Madoka Magica simply because it was SO BAD that it LOOPED AROUND and became GOOD again. Like seriously! Madoka is THAT BAD. It's literally everything I hate in an anime; and yet...and yet...it was really freaking AMAZING! I don't know, I guess I really enjoyed it for some other reason entirely. Perhaps it was simply grimdark in all the right ways; so I didn't really have to get my heart wrenched out by it because I knew that bad things were coming. Lemons are more my weakness than Grimdark is.

And yes; I know a good portion of "grimdark" are also "lemons" and I do my duly good duty to avoid them.

EDIT: Oh yeah; that reminds me: the other thing that pisses me off very badly about any anime is when the series starts out Noblebright then declines into grimdark lemony ****. Or just badly written grimdark in general. There's a way, a time, and a place to take the "Kid Gloves" off, and it's not mid-season, nor is it at a point where the viewer least expects it. Shock value is something I severely dislike, and turning grimdark for shock value as a plot twist will severely annoy me and cause me to stop watching it entirely in most cases.

TL;DR: I FREAKING HATE BAIT AND SWITCH WITH A FIREY PASSION Violations are usually harshly judged.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jun 2, 2018
    Hopefully they never (really) animate Warhammer 40k since that's an unholy union of noblebright and grimdark. Have to admit it would be hilarious though. -not terribly unlike Shingeki no Kyojin either.

Fullmetal Alchemist... Did it have to have a season that was nothing but Nazi Germany? Don't mind just watching the movies for it and Bleach, but would need a serious head injury to watch either series. The series almost redeems itself just because of this AMV, but not quite.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    Despite all its budget problems, gender stereotypes, and hit-and-miss animation, absolutely loved the original Macross and DYRL. Every subsequent Macross though has been a painful blob of fanservice and superficiality. If any of those are acclaimed (pretty sure some are) then yes, I'll be willing to be that person who adds a bunch of Macross to the list.

Dragon Ball's big issue is the mountain of intentional filler that makes it impossible to watch the show in its completeness without dedicating real-time years to watching it all. With serious editing it has the potential to be amazing; it's basically nothing but character development--even most of the fights. Maybe Kai fixed this. So yes, I'll be that person too.

Ghibli is untouchable ;*)

I meant the original Macross yeah. Did you see Macross Plus though? It's not as good, still not just fanservice though.
    Also I just mean the original Dragon Ball. Not Z or any of the other spin offs; just the original series.

Will also add Lupin III (original series) to my untouchable list

As for NGE; most people dislike the rebuilds compared to the original series actually. I've seen almost universal praise and it's really not that deep; it just actually attempts to go for themes that aren't superficial which is surprisingly uncommon for most anime.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2016
    I personally never got into HunterxHunter or Trigun, I know I'm a noob but what can I say they never tickled my fancy. I will say though a Warhammer 40k anime would be awesome solely based on gratuitous amounts of senseless violence that series is known for.

Years
  • FairyTale. Maybe i didn't give it enough of a chance but it was one cliche too much for me to handle. Dunno if it was:
    - The main characters' near baseless craving to be the "best ever"_____
    - Main char's omnipotent plot armor/power of friendship
    - Main char having a rival teammate that initially hate's him but will probably end up becoming his best friend
    - Transparent busty scantily clad women
    - Death being very selective about whom it claims no matter how "lethal" the attack(at the point i gave up on it no one died)
    - A somewhat dysfunctional team put together to tackle various 'quest' slowly falling in love with each other
    - An adorable yet snarky, talking cat/moogle-esque type creature...
    etc.. etc.. i'm sure they covered way more tired themes and tropes but i just wasn't having it.
    Many anime's/manga series follow a similar list of cliches but i just couldn't take anymore. There's something about this one that just makes me say "..Nope.." no matter how many times i attempted to try and like it.

i also agree about what was said about FLCL. not s****y but not amazing either.

Years
  • Angel Beats. Terrible pacing, the story was terrible as a result leaving the only good things being the parts that focused on the relationship between Otonashi and Kanade since it was the thing the only thing that didn't get butchered by trying to fit too many story arcs into a 1 cour anime. The final episode was great, the episode about Otonashi's past was also pretty good.

I'm not sure if DanMachi is acclaimed or not since the only popular thing about it is a blue string but yeah, hate that one.

derozio

[b][color=red][font=helvetica][i]door-kun best boi
    Years
  • I can't believe what i'm seeing. BLASPHEMY! How can you not like FMA?

Well, that was just a joke, tastes are tastes. I understand that you can dislike it.

I haven't been much onto anime lately but i think SAO was just BAD. The main character's personality was the saddest thing i've ever seen, he has nothing special, he is the most generic anime character ever, he should've been called "Grunt #3".

The general idea of the anime is pretty cool, but i don't think they exploited it's potential well enough, they used the death of a character that only appears in 3 or 4 episodes as their big drama event. They did that a lot actually, even with the bosses fight, they killed a lot of generic characters and those were the most "shocking" events in the series. And the way they completed the game, UGH. Bad, really bad anime.
    SAO = Good premise but underused. And the romance didn't tick with me. Good for people with whom it did, really, but it felt superficial and Asuna's character degraded over time I felt. I wish it did more with its world than only being concerned with how sugoi kirito-kun is or the DRAMA that it deals with. Something like taking the Log Horizon route. But that's just me.

Angel Beats. Terrible pacing, the story was terrible as a result leaving the only good things being the parts that focused on the relationship between Otonashi and Kanade since it was the thing the only thing that didn't get butchered by trying to fit too many story arcs into a 1 cour anime. The final episode was great, the episode about Otonashi's past was also pretty good.

I'm not sure if DanMachi is acclaimed or not since the only popular thing about it is a blue string but yeah, hate that one.
    Angel Beats. God, that one. My thoughts on the show are, pretty much, the same as yours. Except for the fact that I didn't manage to get into the Otonashi - Kanade relationship parts either. As a result, all that remained for me in the anime were the songs, the production values (PA Works doesn't disappoint!) and the parts that focused on Otonashi's past (almost cried when he lost someone and again when we see him die the way he did). I definitely cannot appreciate this anime the way other people somehow can.

My friends told me I'd cry bucketloads. And this is a great anime. All I got were pretty visuals, parts of it being good story and decent OST. A very average show otherwise that's marred by bad pacing as you said with not enough focus on anything in particular. Also, the comedy wasn't funny. Except the rocket-chair scenes. They're an exception. XD;

Thoughts differ on danmachi though - I found that one pretty fun. Hestia, call her Miss String all you want, was still pretty attractive a character for me personally. A busty loli. Now that's something you don't usually see. <3;

Naruto, because I find its art disgusting.
    Best reason ever. XD;

Hopefully they never (really) animate Warhammer 40k since that's an unholy union of noblebright and grimdark. Have to admit it would be hilarious though. -not terribly unlike Shingeki no Kyojin either.

Fullmetal Alchemist... Did it have to have a season that was nothing but Nazi Germany? Don't mind just watching the movies for it and Bleach, but would need a serious head injury to watch either series. The series almost redeems itself just because of this AMV, but not quite.
    @FMA - No, but it did have a movie that was set in that time and had Nazis and stuff. The original series' sequel movie "FMA - The Conquerer of Shamballa" - did.

What I don't get though is, well, why not? Why not give FMA a shot? It has good story. Both the series do. And great characters. And good production values. Why not? If you hate that kind of story, well, yeah, I'd understand. But you haven't exactly stated why you'd need a head injury to watch it, have you?
    or maybe you did and I missed it. in that case, well, sorry! :p

I understand Bleach because let's be honest, anything after Soul Society arc is legit dogshit. Soul Society is amazing, yes, but it doesn't make up for what the anime-watcher has to suffer through later in the series if he's decided he's gonna watch the anime. And it is LONG. FMA, both of them, are much shorter. 1/5th or 1/6th depending on which one you are looking at.

Years
  • I think Hetalia is my only big one. For a comedy it just simply isn't funny, and there's little appeal elsewhere. I'm quite interested in history too so it was a bit of a shame especially since it came so highly recommended.

The only other acclaimed anime I haven't enjoyed were Claymore and Soul Eater. In both cases I enjoyed them to begin with, but my interest soon dropped off. There wasn't anything specifically bad about them.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • I think Hetalia is my only big one. For a comedy it just simply isn't funny, and there's little appeal elsewhere. I'm quite interested in history too so it was a bit of a shame especially since it came so highly recommended.

SOMEBODY FINALLY SAID IT.

I know a thousand fangirls will be outside my house waiting to kill me but WHAT'S THE FUNNY PART ABOUT HETALIA CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME.

Stupid shorts made by stupid STUDIO DEEN.

God please forgive them, they don't know what they are watching.

Years
  • SOMEBODY FINALLY SAID IT.

I know a thousand fangirls will be outside my house waiting to kill me but WHAT'S THE FUNNY PART ABOUT HETALIA CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN ME.

Stupid shorts made by stupid STUDIO DEEN.

God please forgive them, they don't know what they are watching.

I mean, I find it dumb but amusing. But I also have an interest in politics and am curious about Japanese stereotypes about other nations. I know American stereotypes of other nations insanely well because they dominate popular culture. It's an interesting look from a vantage point that isn't mine.

Also Funimation clearly had a hell of a fun time with that dub using all the stereotypical voices.

Polandball comics are a hell of a lot more fun, though.

Kenchiin

1/2,578,917 ☆
    Years
  • It's like a great idea but the execution actually sucks. Wasn't there a similar series out there? I have flashbacks, something about politicians fighting in a board game.

Damn, I need to get that now.

Back