• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Addicted?

Yuukihime

I'm allergic to people.
Years
  • Well this question came to mind while i was sitting in the thea watching our school performance of, "Our Town" and I noticed the girls sitting next to me couldn't sit two hours without sending a text message.

So, this raised the question, are teenagers or just people in general to addicted to texting?

BrandonE

DDR Elite
    Years
  • Teenage girls are addicted to texting, and teenage boys are addicted to teenage girls. Thus, teenagers are addicted to texting eachother.

Agent Clank

Bye PC
    Years
    • Seen Jan 11, 2011
    I think people are addicted to texting.
    I saw these two people in a hospital and they couldn't stand 2 minutes without texting.
    Some people who text make me aggetated -.-

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    A LOT of kids that I know are addicted to texting, but the majority of them are girls. One of my friends, even texts while she's in the hospital getting medical treatment.

But, yea, I completely agree some people are just addicted to it, I for one don't even have texting and I don't really need it.

Zet

Years
  • I rarely text anyone, so no I'm not addicted. But it is sad seeing people everywhere paying more attention to their phone instead of where they are going.

Kura

twitter.com/puccarts
    Years
  • I think people are in constant need of feeling close and communicating with each other.. I think that texting makes it much easier than calling because talking requires a bit more attention than texting. Texting is more subtle.. but people can use it to web out to others more easily and have a constant feeling of connection for longer. "If I text, I'll wait 5 minutes for a response and still feel connected in that time" but when you call the response is immediate, and if you don't get a response right away, you instantly don't feel connected anymore.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • I don't use my cellphone often, so texting isn't an addiction for me. In the case of the girls sitting next to each other in the OP: I wouldn't call that an addiction; I think they just needed a way to communicate with each other without disturbing anyone.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Mar 4, 2018
    Teenage girls are addicted to texting, and teenage boys are addicted to teenage girls. Thus, teenagers are addicted to texting eachother.
    Not all teenage boys are addicted to just teenage girls, there's other things that take up their own time, such as internet, crushes, games, television and much more, but that's only from my point of view as a boy, though I can see teenage girls much more addicted than a teenage boy for some reason. Luckily I'm not addicted to texting or anything, it sometimes can take over your life unfortunately and it doesn't seem like a healthy thing, I am addicted to the internet somewhat, but I try and get off everyday and do something more productive. Sorry if it seems a bit off-topic from the post attached to the thread itself, but this can possibly be a thread for any kind of addiction.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • I personally am not addicted, I do prefer to text than to talk on the phone but I do think this generation is addicted mostly... hey, they even have world texting championships!!!

BrandonE

DDR Elite
    Years
  • Not all teenage boys are addicted to just teenage girls, there's other things that take up their own time, such as internet, crushes, games, television and much more, but that's only from my point of view as a boy, though I can see teenage girls much more addicted than a teenage boy for some reason. Luckily I'm not addicted to texting or anything, it sometimes can take over your life unfortunately and it doesn't seem like a healthy thing, I am addicted to the internet somewhat, but I try and get off everyday and do something more productive. Sorry if it seems a bit off-topic from the post attached to the thread itself, but this can possibly be a thread for any kind of addiction.

I think you've taken my post too seriously.

SIN1488

Dedicated FluoroCarbons :P
    Years
  • Yeah it's sad, and it's more sad to see some 3rd grade girl that owns a cell phone. Seriously? What could you possibly need to tell your friends about everywhere you go, that your dolly is depressed? >_<

But maybe in the future people will have implants that will allow them to think directly to each other with the use of cellphone-like technology, and you won't have to see people texting everywhere. >_<

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • But maybe in the future people will have implants that will allow them to think directly to each other with the use of cellphone-like technology, and you won't have to see people texting everywhere. >_<

hahaha too bad if you start to think off topic while mind-writing that sms!

Chibi-chan

The Freshmaker!
    Years
  • I'm not addicted to texting. It's just a means of quick communication...I'll just meet up or call someone if I need to! But then again I still use t9w =w=;;

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Dec 11, 2023
    I am definitely not addicted to texting. There may have been only one time, and that was when I was up in New York. I texted so much, but I was really only texting one person, and that was my sister. Before the trip, and after the trip as well, I've barely text. Half the time, my phone isn't even alive. I will agree that at times, texting is a quicker means of communicating with someone (and much easier if you're multitasking), but depending on the situation and/or person, it can be easier to just phone them instead.

I'd say that yes, there are quite a few people that are addicted to texting, and can not survive without their phone. However, there are plenty of others who can live without texting, or at least doesn't have the means to have to text everyday.

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • In my opinion there is no harm in texting.. no matter if you're a teenager or not. It's just a means of keeping in touch with someone. Maybe this someone could be a person you've not seen in a while, and want to stay in touch with them. Or maybe this someone could be a friend you'll see at school the next day and you just feel like talking to them because you can't irl. As for texting in school.. it's the teacher's job to take the phone off the student to stop them texting. I thought phone's aren't allowed in hospitals let alone texting? o_o;

I don't think there is such as this as 'texting too much'. Really. Phone's were made for phoning/texting people.

o0PinkSquid0o

Squidtacular
    Years
  • Actually you can text too much, a few years back a girl was put in hospital because she got RSI in her fingers. Her phone company gave her some special text bonus with her plan and she took full advantage of it :S

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Zebeedoo

Always remember to smile. ~
    Years
  • Actually you can text too much, a few years back a girl was put in hospital because she got RSI in her fingers. Her phone company gave her some special text bonus with her plan and she took full advantage of it :S

Spoiler:

Hmm, well that is a pretty good point. I've never heard of it, however. o__o But look at the last line of highlighted text.. it's a good way to keep in touch with people. OKay maybe there is such a thing as texting too much. But hey, it's all for a good cause, right? :/ Even though it can lead to what you have mentioned. D:

I don't text all that much, maybe only around a couple of times a day since I tend to forget to check my phone for new texts.

Tony Stark

Mr. Stark
    Years
  • I would go as far to say it's a true addiction for teenagers as a whole, I know a few people my age that don't text at all. But for the people that do text, I'd say it's awfully close to an addiction.

Back