• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

3rd Gen Advanced generation? Old? Well...

MysticFlames

~Fedoras~
Years
  • I don't see 3rd gen games as old for probably several reasons:
    -I bought a GBA a bit late (like a while after the release of the SP... but before Emerald, I guess?), and thus I started playing R/S a little into in the generation.
    -I've recently restarted Emerald and XD, and have 3rd gen on the brain.
    -Have been working on a rom hack of FireRed which involves completely delving into 3rd gen.

I dunno. It just feels like it would be hard to see them as "old" because the graphical jump from 2nd and 3rd was pretty huge, and still looks pretty similar to 4th gen games.

BenjiTheKid

Cooltrainer Benji
    Years
  • Definitely an interesting topic. I'm kind of like you. I have this part of me that thinks of it as old, because I remember begging my mom for it for Christmas when I was in like middle school. I finally got Sapphire out of her, and that was it. The game certainly isn't as nostalgic for me as Red, Blue, Yellow, Gold, Silver, and Crystal are. I guess because I pretty much stopped playing for the longest time after Sapphire. That was literally it for me. So, there's another part of me that wants to think it's new. I remember the first 150 (er, 151) Pokemon and then many from the second gen. That's how I want to remember it. I love the newer generations, don't get me wrong... but I think, to me, even ten years from now... S/R/E and D/P/P will still be the "new" ones.

KtTuLu

P-a-t-t-y-w-a-c-k-e-r
    Years
  • I view every pokemon game before the DS old
    I really don't like all the new stuff that Nintendo has implemented, some of the funnest times of my childhood was playing Silver on a non-color regular Gameboy and just battling all of my friends
    I liked the simplicity of the old games

Just thinking back to first getting Silver and Ruby takes me back to elementary school

I can't believe how advanced the games have become.
    It seems like to me that the old games will be forgotten; the new children growing up with D/P/P and B/W won't have the patience for the old graphics and gameplay, I don't think

XDragonRiderX

Time flies.
    Years
    • Seen Apr 24, 2021
    NOT OLD. FR was the first game I got, that got me into PKMN. Nostolgia.... trading a Mewtwo for a masterball, then having my friend lose his FR.... good times.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
  • The only people who think these games are old are younger than the games are.

Years
  • I never realized that the games were already 7 years old. I guess it might be due to the fact that I don't actually own any of the DS games, but it seems like just yesterday that I opened up my SP and Sapphire on Christmas morning.

Years
    • Seen Dec 21, 2010
    Even though I started playing Pokemon as soon as Red and Blue came out, Gen III is the undisputed champ in my mind. To be honest, I was a bit disappointed with Gen II, which, I thought, had boring starters and a boring region. FireRed and LeafGreen were great as they revived the Kanto that had been nuked by Gen II.
    To this day, I play all of the games, but Sapphire is my favorite.

CHAZ The Cat

Come Charmander light my fire~
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2011
    I agree with the post above.
    FireRed and LeafGreen are great because they have revived the Red and Blue nostalgia, with way better graphics, and a few surprises.
    And for us players who started their journeys in Red, Blue and Yellow, that nostalgia is the best!
    I still remember the first time I even discovered the Unknown Dungeon, and what I thought was Mew, but it was actually Mewtwo! There was no knowledge about anything yet! Those were the times. Now it's all done and redone on the Internet.
    The third Gen was the epic Gen, in my opinion. Not only for bringing back Red and Blue, but also because it was the last tolerable Pokémon adventure evolution in Ruby Sapphire and Emerald. And at least for me, who have been playing from the start, the games just lost their magic since Emerald.
    That's why I'm sticking to my Ruby and FireRed.

Weavile05

Currently Hacking BW
    Years
  • I view every pokemon game before the DS old
    I really don't like all the new stuff that Nintendo has implemented, some of the funnest times of my childhood was playing Silver on a non-color regular Gameboy and just battling all of my friends
    I liked the simplicity of the old games

Just thinking back to first getting Silver and Ruby takes me back to elementary school

I can't believe how advanced the games have become.
    It seems like to me that the old games will be forgotten; the new children growing up with D/P/P and B/W won't have the patience for the old graphics and gameplay, I don't think

I feel you on that last part. My first game was Diamond, and I could barely play 1st and second gen at first. 3rd was tolerable though.

Years
    • Seen May 7, 2024
    Well, as I've mentioned in my own thread, and countless times in others, these games still hold re-play value for me. And now I've seen it says "compatible with Nintendo DS" on the back of my Emerald box, I really don't consider that old (although the battered box from my second-hand LeafGreen copy states otherwise, despite only being 1 year older).

When I remember that Emerald was my first, it seems old, but overall it doesn't.

Sert908

Hi guys :)
    Years
  • I know what you mean, Pokemon Emerald was the first pokemon game I bought (I was 9-10 at that time) and I have probably restarted that game over 10 times. I love the Hoenn series, and I also love LeafGreen.

sab

Now too much of a life.
    Years
  • I've been playing emerald for a long time, and even though I take breaks, I never give up on playing it. I've currently got 750+ hours on it with the secret box covers all tried. I've had the enigma berry, got four trainer stars, and have my ultimate pokemon team on there. I don't like 4th gen so I play this instead. It may be old, but I still love it, cause generation 3 will never lose its flair!

Years
  • I don't consider it old, despite the fact that I've probably played through my GenIII games (Sapphire, Emerald, LeafGreen, and FireRed) almost as much as either of the previous generations, for a few reasons:

1. They're on the GBA and in full color--the graphics aren't really dated at all, and I actually prefer this style to that used in D/P.
    2. I grew up with RBY and GSC and was a continuous fan of Pokémon between those games, whereas I took a long hiatus from the franchise before RS came out and again before FRLG and Emerald came out.
    3. I've only played one GenIV game (Diamond), and only once. I've started Soul Silver, but to me RSE and FRLG are the newest generation just because Diamond was so forgettable.
    4. They're a midway point between the awesome Pokémon of the GBC games and the terrible Pokémon (just my opinion) of the DS games.
    5. I grew up with the anime of Kanto/Orange Islands and partially Johto, whereas I've only seen scattered episodes of Hoenn.

So, yeah. I think reason #2 is the biggest reason I don't consider them "old." They don't really have the nostalgia factor for me (well, FRLG do, kinda, but that's because they were based off of RBY).

Years
  • Not at all lol - I'm currently playing this generation! :) It's the most "modern" that I have, so I always regard it as new-ish lol :)

(I don't have a DS which is why I haven't played Gens 4 & 5, but I'm still clued up about them lol) :)

GlitchCity

GlitchxCity
    Years
  • I dont really consider it old, but looking at it now, I was 8 years old. Its almost been 10 years since I started my journey through the Hoenn region. But Im still playing Emerald, and I say to myself that its still up to date, even though it really isnt xD

Well it may seem old, but it doesnt feel old to me. They're not ancient like Red/Blue :P

Years
    • Seen Jun 26, 2012
    I'll only consider it old when you can't transfer your Pokemon to the next generation.

-Cygnus-

It's an odyssey
    Years
    • Seen Nov 10, 2015
    Not at all lol - I'm currently playing this generation! :) It's the most "modern" that I have, so I always regard it as new-ish lol :)

(I don't have a DS which is why I haven't played Gens 4 & 5, but I'm still clued up about them lol) :)

Ditto. I don't think I will be buying a DS anytime ever soon, so Gen III works well for me. It's the newest I have so it's new in my book lol

Back