• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Advice/Tips for first EVER playthrough of Platinum

Years
    So I'm an old old Gen 1 player who has never played any other Gens before. Decided to get back into the series and I've just obtained a copy of Platinum to reintroduce myself to the games. So my question is, What advice/tips would you give for a first time playthrough of Platinum?. Broad question I know, but whatever you've got. I'd like to get the most out of my first playthrough as I intend to move onto HG or SS as soon as I finish.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
    Years
    It's been a good few years since I played Gen IV, but I have a few things.

As someone who likes to be selective about what Pokémon they catch, I like to usually start with Chimchar as it allows me to type-trump both the first two gyms (Rock<Fighting and Grass<Fire) and therefore not have to catch anything at the start of the game. You'll need to evolve your Chimchar, but there's a rival battle and plenty of tall grass to grind in if you're willing to take the time.

Make sure you've grinded plenty before going into the first Team Galactic outpost, the Admin has a Purugly with Fake Out and a couple other annoying moves. I believe it's level 19, which is high for that point in the game.

There's not a lot of Dark-types available in Sinnoh, but there's plenty of trainers weak to Dark, so I usually grab a Murkrow in Eterna Forest as my second Pokémon and use it as my main bird. Eterna Forest is also AMAZING for grinding, because you get fully healed after every battle, but once you reach the exit your partner trainer will leave and can't be brought back, so make sure you've had your fill of wild Wurmples before you go near the exit.

I can't really remember much from mid or late game, but if I do I'll add more. Hope this helps you a bit.

Years
    That's brilliant mate. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was already leaning towards Chimchar, so that makes things easier! I've got no problems with a good grind too so thanks for that tip as well. That Eterna Forest advice is great! Thanks so much :)

Years
    • Seen May 11, 2017
    This is great for me too. I'm starting a new playthrough of Platinum today. I remember really loving this game and I hope it holds up.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
    Watch out for Ace Trainers. Platinum is kinda notorious for these out of nowhere Ace trainers that may ruin your day if you aren't prepared to face them, especially those Aces with one but very strong mon in their arsenal relative to the time you face them early in the game.

Xherdan

Bad at Good Games
    Years
    You would like to keep your team high-leveled at all times, considering the game expects your Pokémon to be at least level 38 after the 5th Gym. The game is very fun and in my opinion one of the best in the franchise. I always pick Torterra because he's tanky and knows how to attack very well, besides its giant disadvantage against Ice. As my main bird, i've never used Murkrow but i adore Honchkrow. I always used Starly, Zubat or Togepi (It evolves into Togekiss in this Gen via Shiny Stone. Thing's beastly). For the Fire typing, i suggest Chimchar, Houndour or Ponyta. I always go for Houndour due to the great Sp. Atk its final evolution offers, but Rapidash, if used right, can be pretty deadly too. As for the Water type, i'm currently using Gastrodon and liking it. There are choices like Piplup, Buizel, Vaporeon and Shellos, among others. You might want to catch a Bidoof aswell, since it's a good HM Slave. Also Bibarel is neat. I used to dislike it, but now i absolutely regret my decision. And finally, catch a Gible under Route 206 (secret passage, might take you a while to find it) as it is very rewarding as a Garchomp.

Overall, a normal team for this is Torterra, Staraptor, Floatzel, Houndoom, and Garchomp. The last slot can be used for whatever you want. Hope i helped!

Years
    Thanks for all the advice. I've just got to Hearthome (about to hit 3rd gym) but have 35 hours racked up already. I've got level 36 Infernape, 34 Golduck, 33 Kadabra and 31 Luxray (I grind like a m'fga). Also plenty high 20 level randoms like Aipom, Noctowl etc. and just received my lvl20 Eevee. So these ace trainers showing up whilst fun, aren't much of a threat (one hit faints usually) still great for exp though.

I couldn't find Murkrow in Enterna Forest despite hours of trying. Heard later that you can't get in Platinum. Only in P&D then can trade (not sure if 100% true though). I did get a Togepi though which level 21 atm, so I'm glad you said can evolve from shiny stone because Togekiss looks awesome. My Golduck seems to be working well as Water type for now, pretty strong. Just don't know if his relative strength will decline as game moves on.

I was at route 206 for a while and did the rescue of the girl from cave (exploiting grind there with endless heal) but didn't find a Gible. Will head back and look more, so thanks for that, Want a Garchomp for sure.

Loving Platinum!

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    When you go on your search for Gible in the cave on Route 206, make sure you're in the hidden entrance to the cave. It's under the bridge on the route, so you'll have to search a little for the actual entrance. It's more under the middle of the bridge. Gible isn't found in the "main" area of the cave where Mira--the girl you helped--is. It's only in the secret area.

Starlight Latias

Gible is an Awesome Pokemon for Platinum and i really like Starly, if you get your Eevee i recommend Espeon, Jolteon or Vaporeon for a Single Player Run, Umbreon is Stall and Glaceon is rather late in the Game and Leafeon doesn't get Leaf Blade it's best move until level 71

Years
    • Seen May 28, 2019
    Plan your team first.
    This is a bad idea, especially if you're coming back into the series for so long. You're putting off one of the major pulls of the franchise, and that is exploring and finding new Pokemon after each area. That feeling of suddenly wanting to use a Pokemon you just found and put it on your team is a large part of the fun. Of course, everyone is different and maybe you disagree, but if someone is completely new to this I'd just watch them build their team on their own pace. It's great not knowing what you'll team will end up like at all.

As a matter of fact, I'm playing Platinum right now for the first time since launch, and my team is very strong considering I only caught them as I went along. Did not plan to use any of them! Going strong with Crobat/Steelix/Gengar/Gyarados/Magmortar/Froslass.

semi

the magnificent steiner
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2023
    As it so happens to be, I started Platinum on Tuesday, an hour after my cousin, so that we could have some sort of a race to league champion.
    I can tell you've been grinding madly. Your team is nearly exactly like mine, except that I prefer to keep my party full at all times.
    I can see that you're building yourself quite a party there. Perhaps I'm forgetting the way it worked in Gen. 1, but I'll assure you now that the team plan you may have now is sure to rotate immensely as you process in the game.
    I can't recall if there's a Gible in the cave under the bridge, but choosing to train there with the healing girl was a smart move. Personally, I prefer using the Vs Seeker.
    Prepare yourself for some tough gyms up ahead. Hearthome's leader Fantina has a Pokémon with absolutely no weakness, so I suggest you find a move strong enough to beat it quickly before it causes too much damage, and train as much as possible.
    Veilstone's gym leader has a Lucario, who can wipe most Pokémon out in one or two moves, so you may have to hastily flame it down with a fire attack etc.
    I hope you get a hang of the game style pretty soon, because indeed it is a game to love. Generation IV is by far the best.

TheLegendaryGuy

The greatest Ash Ketchum fan!
    Years
    That's brilliant mate. Exactly the kind of info I was looking for. I was already leaning towards Chimchar, so that makes things easier! I've got no problems with a good grind too so thanks for that tip as well. That Eterna Forest advice is great! Thanks so much :)

Although you were inclined towards chimchar, you should atleast catch one fighting type pokemon and train it a bit for the first gym badge. I had to suffer the conquences coz I didn't do that and I got the badge in my third try.

Years
    This is a bad idea, especially if you're coming back into the series for so long. You're putting off one of the major pulls of the franchise, and that is exploring and finding new Pokemon after each area. That feeling of suddenly wanting to use a Pokemon you just found and put it on your team is a large part of the fun. Of course, everyone is different and maybe you disagree, but if someone is completely new to this I'd just watch them build their team on their own pace. It's great not knowing what you'll team will end up like at all.

This was kind-of my approach when I first played a Pokemon game as well, I just used what I caught and was surprised at how well some of them handled. It's down to personal opinions, since some like planning teams and others may enjoy randomly building a team as they play along.

Xertified

Shtposting is my life.
    Years
    This was kind-of my approach when I first played a Pokemon game as well, I just used what I caught and was surprised at how well some of them handled. It's down to personal opinions, since some like planning teams and others may enjoy randomly building a team as they play along.

Read Karen's (Gen 2 Elite Four) quote.

"Strong Pokémon. Weak Pokémon. That is only the selfish perception of people. Truly skilled Trainers should try to win with the Pokémon they love best. I like your style. You understand what's important. Go on — — the Champion is waiting."

Wovoka

Glaceon = Best Pokémon
    Years
    • Seen May 14, 2020
    Don't forget to get rotom, he isn't the best pokemon but you can change his type to suit you you can only do that in gen 5 nvm.

Last edited:
    Years
    Thanks for the tips on Gible. Ended up catching 2 so I could have a spare (don't know why haha). Anyway the one I trained is now lvl35 Gabite and going strong.

Regarding team planning. I went in with some kind of half baked plan to use a few old favourites, but that idea fell apart pretty quick after discovering so many of the nice new Pokemon. Apart from Kadabra and Golduck, the rest of my regularly rotated team is mostly 4th gen. Much like your above quote, I'm really enjoying just building a strong team with Pokemon I like, not just ones with strong/rare reputations.

Up to 4 badges now. 55 hours and my top 4 or 5 used Pokemon are around lvl 40. This game just keeps growing and growing on me. Can't put it down.

Years
    Don't forget to get rotom, he isn't the best pokemon but you can change his type to suit you.

Just a reminder that Rotom's alternate forms only change their type starting from 5th Gen. In this generation they all stay Electric/Ghost.

Back