• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Am I the only one who cares about the gender of a Pokemon?

Years
    Throughout my time playing Pokemon, I have always noticed that the gender of a specific pokemon I want to catch has always been very important for me. I've never thought it right for a Pokemon who looks female and is portrayed as female int he anime to be a male, and thus, I would not catch it if it was a male. A good example of this is Ralts/Gardevoir. I have ran away from multiple male Ralts in order to catch a female one. The thought of having a Gardevoir that is female doesn't sit right in my head. Another one is Feebas. I ran away from a male Feebas in Ruby because the thought of having a male Milotic just made no sense to me.

Am I the only one who does this or are there other people who think the same way?

PurpleOrange

still don't know what I'm doing
    Years
    Aside from trying to get a female starter I'm not usually fussed, but I will always get the corresponding Eeveelutions: female Vaporeon; Flareon; Espeon; Glaceon; Sylveon; male Jolteon; Umbreon; Leafeon, not sure why I do it I just do ahaha

Arjay

#GoStags
    Years
    I nearly always try to catch male Pok?mon, unless it's a Pok?mon I think looks feminine. For example, the S/M starters. A female Decidueye/Incineroar is a preposterous idea to me, but equally, a male Primarina also seems ridiculous.

Frozocrone

Fighting a bigger fight
    Years
    I admit to having a bias for male looking Pokemon (I think they just look cooler) but I have no problems with female Pokemon (have female A-Ninetales and Sylveon/Espeon made for competitive battling. Maybe a female Garchomp too, I just took the first 5 IV one I bred).

tokyodrift

[i]got me looking for attention[/i]
    Years
    • Age 30
    • he/him
    • Seen Mar 8, 2024
    I tend to capture female only Pok?mon and not notice it until I'm well through the game. I do always soft reset for a female starter though.

Absolitetion

Deemed to be a demon, but an angel inside.
    Years
    I usually go for the gender that fits the Pok?mon best. And if all-round I usually prefer male.

The struggle to get a male Litleo...

Years
    I decide what gender of a Pokemon to use depending on its looks.

For example a female Popplio, because it eventually evolves into the feminine Primarina.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
    Years
    The only time that I care about gender is when I'm breeding. Otherwise, it doesn't bother me. Things like a male Primarina and female Decidueye do exist in the world, so I'm not really bothered by it.

MKC

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2023
    I usually want most of my pokemon to be male, I like them better like that and I just can't see them being female most of the time, even when refering to my generless pokemon, I always refer to them as he/him.
    I only raise females when the pokemon species itself looks rather femenine, such as Tsareena (can't be male either way) or Togekiss.

My team in-game team is always 5 males and 1 female most of the time.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
    Sometimes, I don't care. But, if I've come up with a gender specific nickname I wanna give them or if I think they look more masculine or feminine (In Y version, I reset for a female Fennekin and caught a female Eevee for Sylveon), then I would try and get that gender of Pokemon.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    I don't care and I don't really understand people who do. Why would you prefer your Pok?mon being male?

I know right? Is it the reflect of the patriarchy? Seriously tho. A friend used to think the male stat's were better because someone told him that D: (he was young, for his defense).

The only time I care for a gender is when I will breed the Pokemon or when it's for an evolution (like for Gallade or Salazzle)

Years
    I'm really not fussed about a Pokemon's gender, unless it has clear differences from the other gender of that Pokemon.For example, I prefer the female Pikachu's tail to the male's one, but apart from stuff like that, I'm really not bothered.

smocks

fiat lux
    Years
    I don't really care for gender (unless if it calls for evolution/stats/forms) for the most part.

BUT. I care about gender when it comes to my team. I am crazy about balance and my team will bother me if I don't have 3 females & 3 males on my team (unless if I have a genderless Pok?mon).

Back