• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Guide: Analysis of the full Galar Dex

bobandbill

one more time
Years
  • The article is temporarily unavailable: see announcement here. https://daily.pokecommunity.com/2019/11/12/pre-release-sword-and-shield-articles-announcement/

In the meantime, you can still view the spreadsheet here https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/188PyCPXBbjSsTikRDsk7uTJARIX8BSMd0Pni9ZQasug/edit?usp=sharing

--------------
    THIS HAS SPOILERS

But it also has analysis of the full Galar Dex, as we know it from leakers. FInd out which type is the most and least common, how popularity scales in Galar, and which region reigns supreme!

Point out errors, suggest additions, etc. Dex numbers are NOT final, and notes are to be added.

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    kind of interesting that Unova has more Pokemon in the Galar Dex than Kanto

you'd think that with how much Game Freak likes to push Kanto stuff, that that'd be the one with the most pokes

not that I'm complaining tho

Years
  • A good chunk of my favorites (including my favorite of all time Eelektross) has been cut. Half the game for a high price. What a shame, even more because people will find a way to defend this

pkmin3033

This is disgusting, frankly. It's worse than I expected it to be. There isn't really much to say about this, because it's a complete mess that once again proves that Game Freak are a bunch of filthy liars and that they clearly do not care about producing quality titles with a high amount of content. I am extremely annoyed by this.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    This is disgusting, frankly. It's worse than I expected it to be. There isn't really much to say about this, because it's a complete mess that once again proves that Game Freak are a bunch of filthy liars and that they clearly do not care about producing quality titles with a high amount of content. I am extremely annoyed by this.
    Agreed. I was expecting things to be bad, but I figured we were looking at 100-150 more returning Pokémon than we got, at least. I also expected a more Kanto-heavy mix, since those models were already on Switch via Let's Go. And I expected more of an emphasis on Pokémon who are generally perceived as popular.

It's also frustrating to see Pokémon that usually come in trios or pairs split up (like the Kanto starters). Again and again, my assumptions about what things are "untouchable" are proven wrong. As a Blastoise fan, I was a little worried, but I figured Blastoise and Venusaur would be safe because Charizard was in. I guess not.

I'm also surprised to see such emphasis on Unova, given that I never got the impression that BW1 were all that well received. It seemed some of Masuda's bitterness and changing philosophy stemmed from people not appreciating BW1 enough. Perhaps he's trying to force people to use some of the lesser-known gen 5 Pokémon?

It's been clear to me for a while that GF has been lying (their constantly changing excuses, etc.), but the lack of the Pokémon that were already in Let's Go really cements the fact that this isn't just a matter of time or resources. This is a business decision, although I can't quite figure out where it's coming from, or exactly how it's supposed to work long-term. It almost seems like they're trying to play up the rotation of individual Pokémon a la the Disney Vault release strategy. But unlike stand-alone movies, Pokémon fit together as part of teams, and I'm not convinced that isolating them and releasing a segment with each new game will work as well as the film approach has. Personally, I hope the entire attempt fails miserably.

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • A good chunk of my favorites (including my favorite of all time Eelektross) has been cut. Half the game for a high price. What a shame, even more because people will find a way to defend this

No offences, but so being grateful that Pokemon still will continue & still appreciating the hard work put into the new games irregardless is considered a way to be defensive?

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Honestly, I am so happy and so proud that Unova out beats everything. Yes, make them play with pokemon they refused to sue because their precious Kanto pokemon weren't in.

I will say that I do believe way more pokemon should have been included. 500 at a Dex seemed more than fair. 400 is kinda low compared to last games, especially with the amount of data they can use now. But these gives them the opportunity to add more through out the games life span through events and what not.

But as far as Unova goes, if you could see me smiling right now, I'd look like Negan.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    This is a business decision, although I can't quite figure out where it's coming from, or exactly how it's supposed to work long-term.
    If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be so that they can keep doing what they've been doing for the past decade, churn out a title every year. They've had 10 years worth of data to show them that people will eat up Pokemon games literally just because it's Pokemon. Gens 6 and 7 are often considered a low point in the series, but they (even friggin LGPE!) still sold just as well as any Pokemon game post-Gen 2 has, and Pokemon main series games move a lot of copies. Dexit has technically even happened before, and the series survived 15 years after that. Someone has realized that they don't have to put in much effort to turn a sizeable profit year after year.

Having to program in and animate every single Pokemon, with the list of them continually expanding (we're looking at roughly 900 at SwSh release), is an obstacle to doing that though. It doesn't have to be considered an obstacle, but to do that you'd have to not put out a game roughly every year (and probably hire a few more developers), and like I said, they don't want to do that because $$$.

At the end of the day, Game Freak is a company, and companies exist for only one reason: to make as much money as possible, with as little effort as possible, no matter what. Whatever their origins might be, or whatever fond memories people have of their games, or how they may or may not have this child friendly feel, it doesn't change that fact. Just look at Disney.

So long as these games continue to pull in the sales numbers that they do, there is little reason for Game Freak to not view this as an acceptable long-term strategy.

/ramble

Years
    • Seen Mar 2, 2022
    At the end of the day, Game Freak is a company, and companies exist for only one reason: to make as much money as possible, with as little effort as possible, no matter what. Whatever their origins might be, or whatever fond memories people have of their games, or how they may or may not have this child friendly feel, it doesn't change that fact. Just look at Disney.
    e

But to me it looks like a really weird business decision for 1 reason: they cutted starters and legendarys. Those two kind of pokémon are the one they use to market the franchise the most. TCG, the anime, toys, plushies, everything. They can still use them outside of the games, of course, but wouldn't it be weird if new players bought the game because they were gifted an Articuno lunch box and in the end they can't even have the Articuno? Or not being able to catch a Lugia after seeing Ash riding one the anime? I know in other games those pokémon could be hard to access, but now they are impossible to access, not even by distribution. It's almost as if they are throwing years of merchandise in the garbage.

Years
    • Seen Jan 8, 2020
    HOW IS TYPE: NULL IN GALAR?????? Postgame aether foundation arc? Wicke might be there, or Faba... no, Gladion, but five years older.

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Feb 22, 2024
    My favorite Pokemon are Ninetales and Vileplume and both are in. That being said Pokemon needs to stop thinking Charizard is the only starter people like, my personal favorite starter is Cyndaquil.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen yesterday
    But to me it looks like a really weird business decision for 1 reason: they cutted starters and legendarys. Those two kind of pokémon are the one they use to market the franchise the most. TCG, the anime, toys, plushies, everything. They can still use them outside of the games, of course, but wouldn't it be weird if new players bought the game because they were gifted an Articuno lunch box and in the end they can't even have the Articuno? Or not being able to catch a Lugia after seeing Ash riding one the anime? I know in other games those pokémon could be hard to access, but now they are impossible to access, not even by distribution. It's almost as if they are throwing years of merchandise in the garbage.
    I don't really get the feeling that this will have as much impact as one might think.

Had this been around the release of Ruby/Sapphire though, it would make for a stronger argument though. Pokemon had exited its initial hype phase by then, was a much younger franchise, and that was the first time they made it impossible to get some older Pokemon on the game. It was a lot more of a risk back then to pull this sort of thing since it wasn't solidified yet that Pokemon could sell on its name alone, and it was the first time they tried pulling a Dexit.

Of course, I could be wrong in the end. I can't pretend that my predictions have 100% accuracy every time. If that was the case, I'd be a clairvoyant and should probably buy lotto tickets and engage in the stock market and I would not suck at competitive battles. It's just that I feel that the odds are in my favor on this, given the data we have.

Years
  • Noticed that Darumaka and Darmanitan are listed as their normal forms rather than their Galarian forms.

Also, anyone notice the double standard of Galarian forms getting their own national dex numbers while Alolan forms didn't?

Last edited:

Gigadweeb

[b][i]The Black Swordsman[/i][/b]
    Years
  • With every growing bit of new news I feel entirely unexcited in the future of this series. Like, come the fuck on, not even half of the Dex with (according to the other leaks) no actual increase in in-game content? I'm fully expecting the main selling point of the Gen 4 remakes to be "the exact same thing as before, but in HD! And with 50 more Pokémon than S/S!" instead of THE definitive version of Sinnoh, and from then on, repeating the cycle over and over and over with mediocre main games, mediocre remakes and slightly less mediocre third versions until this series dies out along with the rest of humanity in whatever extinction event gets thrown at us eventually.

Last edited:

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
    Years
  • I don't think the new regional forms are supposed to have numbers, but if they really do, then that is extremely weird.

Well makes sense for regional evos to have their own numbers but not the actual regional mons

Last edited:

Adam Levine

[color=#ffffff][font="Century Gothic"]I have tried
    Years
  • "It's ok they'll only add in the fan favorites"

STANTLER, BASCULIN, AND MARACTUS GOT IN THE DEX. YOU KNOW WHO DIDN'T? GARCHOMP. SALAMENCE. CROBAT. METAGROSS. VOLCARONA. EVERY STARTER THAT ISN'T CHARIZARD.

Thnx Game Freak

Back