• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ancient Relics: The Fossil Fanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Nwf71ux.png

Ancient Relics: The Fossil Fanatics

Welcome to the club for all lovers of the fossil Pokémon in the Pokémon world. Whether it be the classic Kanto trio or any of the newer discoveries the fossil Pokémon have always been a staple of the Pokémon games and they've always given the journey an air of mystery and surprise upon finding and reviving them. If you're a fan of these Pokémon (or Relicanth, the living relic) then this is the place for you, so grab a pickaxe and let's go find some fossils.

138.png
139.png
140.png
141.png
142.png
345.png
346.png
347.png
348.png
369.png
408.png
409.png
410.png
411.png
564.png
565.png
566.png
567.png
amaura_sprite_by_vale98pm_by_vale98pm-d6qc5sj.png
woUDfQj.gif
g89j.png
kkuCGfv.gif

Sign-Up Form

• Name: (What you'd like to be known as)
  • Partner: (Choose a fossil Pokémon for a partner)

Members List

• AlexOzzyCake
    JlrafPC.png
  • [supporter]Jelli[/supporter]
    564.png
  • Narnia
    142.png
  • CloysterOyster
    141.png
  • Radiance
    348.png
  • Cirno
    408.png
  • Stoney the Togekiss
    re_zps7142a8b9.png
    du_zps62348c48.png
  • Slayr231
    346.png
  • ★Hoenn★
    142.png
  • DualBlade
    re_zps7142a8b9.png
  • GigaGamics
    du_zps62348c48.png
  • Pokemonranger109
    140.png
Special thanks to ★Hoenn★ for the Gen VI sprites!

Current Topic

Let's start off with an easy one - which is your favourite fossil Pokémon and why?

Last edited:

Sirfetch’d

I'm a huge fan of fossil Pokemon, so I'll definitely be joining =D

Name: Jelli
Partner:
Tirtouga

I'd say my favorite fossil Pokemon is definitely Tirtouga. I simply love turtles and what is better than an ancient turtle? Tirtouga is so amazing because he has an amazingly unique look to go along with his good strength. Tirtouga also has an amazing ability to perform a sweep with access to Shell Smash combined with his stellar ability, Sturdy. So overall just an amazingly cute and powerful Pokemon that has won a spot in my heart as my favorite fossil Pokemon <3

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
Name: Narnia
Partner: Aerodactyl

Favourite fossil Pokemon and why?

IS THIS A TRICK QUESTION :(

In all honesty though, I'm not particularly sure which one I like the most. I look at Omantyne and immediately go d'aww but then my eye gets caught on the ferocity of Aerodactyl. Each fossil Pokemon is special in their own way and they all have good qualities that make them stand out. Asking which one is my favourite is like asking a mother about their favourite child. Although if you pestered me to pick one, it'd easily be a tie between Aerodactyl and Relicanth.

I once had an Aerodactyl and I loved it to pieces. I even got inspired to do a solo run with it, which I haven't finished but I'm enjoying every step of the way. Aerodactyl is a goddamn pterodactyl and if looks could kill you'd probably be dead in three seconds flat. Who doesn't love dinosaurs? They've always been one of my favourite animals and then Aerodactyl comes along proudly representing them. The definition of Godzilla with wings. It can easily outclass Archeops any day as it isn't hindered by Defeatist and can just fire off Acrobatics, smash its head and do whatever it pleases before the opponent can even raise a finger. It uses one of my favourite styles- speedy pokemon with high attack. Its overall one of my favourites and something that I look forward to using in every playthrough possible.

Relicanth is just incredibly derpy. While I've never used one, I find it one of the cuter ones and I'm glad they didn't make all fossil Pokemon with the look of 'ROOOAR I'M A DINOSAUR, FEAR ME etc.' A sleeping fish for 300 million years? While you'd probably get food poisoning trying to eat it, Relicanth has always been one of my favourites for its design. Plus that thing could headbutt you to death if it wanted to. Badass fish with derpy looks? Yes please.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'm a huge fan of fossil Pokemon, so I'll definitely be joining =D

Name: Jelli
Partner:
Tirtouga

I'd say my favorite fossil Pokemon is definitely Tirtouga. I simply love turtles and what is better than an ancient turtle? Tirtouga is so amazing because he has an amazingly unique look to go along with his good strength. Tirtouga also has an amazing ability to perform a sweep with access to Shell Smash combined with his stellar ability, Sturdy. So overall just an amazingly cute and powerful Pokemon that has won a spot in my heart as my favorite fossil Pokemon <3
Hi qt, welcome to the club! I adore turtles too, they're my second favourite animal after squirrels which we're still waiting for a fossil of... so great choice on Tirtouga. I do have one question though - how long did it take you to spell his name right? When I was making the art for the opening post of the club it took my five tries before I had to Google it paha. How do you feel about his evolution Carracosta? I adore Tirtouga but when he evolves he gets kind of ugly. :(

Name: Narnia
Partner: Aerodactyl

Favourite fossil Pokemon and why?

IS THIS A TRICK QUESTION :(

In all honesty though, I'm not particularly sure which one I like the most. I look at Omantyne and immediately go d'aww but then my eye gets caught on the ferocity of Aerodactyl. Each fossil Pokemon is special in their own way and they all have good qualities that make them stand out. Asking which one is my favourite is like asking a mother about their favourite child. Although if you pestered me to pick one, it'd easily be a tie between Aerodactyl and Relicanth.

I once had an Aerodactyl and I loved it to pieces. I even got inspired to do a solo run with it, which I haven't finished but I'm enjoying every step of the way. Aerodactyl is a goddamn pterodactyl and if looks could kill you'd probably be dead in three seconds flat. Who doesn't love dinosaurs? They've always been one of my favourite animals and then Aerodactyl comes along proudly representing them. The definition of Godzilla with wings. It can easily outclass Archeops any day as it isn't hindered by Defeatist and can just fire off Acrobatics, smash its head and do whatever it pleases before the opponent can even raise a finger. It uses one of my favourite styles- speedy pokemon with high attack. Its overall one of my favourites and something that I look forward to using in every playthrough possible.

Relicanth is just incredibly derpy. While I've never used one, I find it one of the cuter ones and I'm glad they didn't make all fossil Pokemon with the look of 'ROOOAR I'M A DINOSAUR, FEAR ME etc.' A sleeping fish for 300 million years? While you'd probably get food poisoning trying to eat it, Relicanth has always been one of my favourites for its design. Plus that thing could headbutt you to death if it wanted to. Badass fish with derpy looks? Yes please.
HI WELCOME! So question - how on earth do you do a solo run with Aerodactyl when you can't get him 'til the end of most games? XD I adore Aerodactyl too due to it being such a ferocious killing machine with incredible Speed and vicious Attack but I just can't get over the whole "Charizard that fell in a cement mixer" look that it carries. I'm glad to see another Relicanth fan though! Though not so keen on you trying to eat him...

My personal favourite is certainly Relicanth. I know it's not technically a fossil Pokémon (my favourite of those is Tirtouga too!) but it's basically just a living fossil so I thought it should count haha. It's such a quirky and unique Pokémon with a very fun niche to fill - smashing its head into things as hard as physically possible over and over until it shatters them into pieces. I know it's not the best Pokémon out there and it's overshadowed by a lot of similar things, namely Omastar and Kabutops, but if you give Relicanth a proper set up you can do some incredible damage with him and he can easily sweep a team with his huge power and reasonable bulk - it's just a shame that Grass moves are so common. I adore Relicanth's design and concept and the shiny version is even cooler - it's almost a contender for my favourite Pokémon but unfortunately Relicanth's regular colour scheme is a little too bland!

Do you guys think he should count as a fossil, though?

Sirfetch’d

Hi qt, welcome to the club! I adore turtles too, they're my second favourite animal after squirrels which we're still waiting for a fossil of... so great choice on Tirtouga. I do have one question though - how long did it take you to spell his name right? When I was making the art for the opening post of the club it took my five tries before I had to Google it paha. How do you feel about his evolution Carracosta? I adore Tirtouga but when he evolves he gets kind of ugly. :(

It had to Google to find the spelling to his impossible name, haha. I originally wanted to spell it Tirtioga for some reason, but I just knew that wasn't quite right.

As for how I feel about his evolution, I am a bit torn on my feelings for it. I have used Carracosta in battles many times before and had great success with him. Definitely one of the more powerful Pokemon I have used, but I am not too fond of his looks. He is much uglier than most 2nd stage fossil Pokemon which is a bit of a turnoff. Overall I'd say he is a great Pokemon, but just not something that I will consider as one of my favorite Pokemon.

As for if Relicanth should be considered a fossil Pokemon or not, I'd say yes! He is a relic Pokemon and fossils are relics, so I'd say that is enough of a connection to consider him a fossil Pokemon.

Last edited:

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Name: CloysterOyster
Partner: Kabutops
Favorite fossil Pokémon and why: Aerodactyl. It's scary, ferocious and knows a wide variety of vicious moves and power moves like Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Ancientpower and all the Fang-like moves.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
It had to Google to find the spelling to his impossible name, haha. I originally wanted to spell it Tirtioga for some reason, but I just knew that wasn't quite right.
"Tirtuga... Tirtoga... Tirtooga... Turtuga... Tirtugao... screw it I'm using Google" was my train of thought!
320.png

As for how I feel about his evolution, I am a bit torn on my feelings for it. I have used Carracosta in battles many times before and had great success with him. Definitely one of the more powerful Pokemon I have used, but I am not too fond of his looks. He is much uglier than most 2nd stage fossil Pokemon which is a bit of a turnoff. Overall I'd say he is a great Pokemon, but just not something that I will consider as one of my favorite Pokemon.
At least you've given him a try haha, I've come to accept that he's a lost cause and I'll never get on well with him. I know his ability and moves are decent for sweeping, but he can never really pull it off can he? He's never had enough power to reliably OHKO whenever I've seen him being used (even wish Shell Smash) so I guess I've always found him to be a bit of a disappointment. He just can't quite live up to Cloyster the poor thing. And yes, he really needs a makeover.

As for if Relicanth should be considered a fossil Pokemon or not, I'd say yes! He is a relic Pokemon and fossils are relics, so I'd say that is enough of a connection to consider him a fossil Pokemon.
Mm, that was my thinking too haha. I mean technically a fossil should be the remains of a dead Pokémon that's been compacted and preserved by millions of years of pressure, but if you read Relicanth's Pokédex entries there's a common theme of him having had that happen to him for 300 million years to the extent that he's practically become fossilised himself. I'd like to know a bit more about his origins and how he looked before the fossilisation took a toll, perhaps he didn't even have hard scales back then? But one thing's for sure, I'd be really disappointed if he lost his Rock Head and Head Smash from it. I love how he's adapted to suit this niche perfectly haha.

Name: CloysterOyster
Partner: Kabutops
Favorite fossil Pokémon and why: Aerodactyl. It's scary, ferocious and knows a wide variety of vicious moves and power moves like Hyper Beam, Giga Impact, Ancientpower and all the Fang-like moves.
Yoyoyo, welcome to the club! Aerodactyl is certainly a cool Pokémon like I said above, but I can't help but think he looks a bit like a Charizard that fell in a cement mixer haha. Do you like his appearance much? And what made you choose Kabutops instead as a partner? :o

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
Yoyoyo, welcome to the club! Aerodactyl is certainly a cool Pokémon like I said above, but I can't help but think he looks a bit like a Charizard that fell in a cement mixer haha. Do you like his appearance much? And what made you choose Kabutops instead as a partner? :o

Lol to the cement mixer comment. {XD}

I like his appearance, he's got those razor-sharp fangs and bat-like wings. Much more scarier than a real pterodactyl. I chose Kabutops not only because Aerodactyl was already "taken" (I like picking ones that others don't pick), but because I like the humanoid form that Kabutops takes and how deadly it is with those sickle-like arms. I also like Water-types alot and he is part Water, so it's all good. :)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I like his appearance, he's got those razor-sharp fangs and bat-like wings. Much more scarier than a real pterodactyl. I chose Kabutops not only because Aerodactyl was already "taken" (I like picking ones that others don't pick), but because I like the humanoid form that Kabutops takes and how deadly it is with those sickle-like arms. I also like Water-types alot and he is part Water, so it's all good. :)
Fair enough! I'm a lot like that too when it comes to picking partners, but in a club with only 18 Pokémon to focus on I think we'll end up sharing some soon haha. As for Kabutops I agree that it looks ridiculously cool due to the deadly aspect and his sickles are swoon-worthy, but I wish his stats and move pool would reflect that. For something that looks so badass he really isn't a huge threat.

The Rock/Water dual-typing is a common theme amongst the fossil Pokémon with 3 members (4 if you count Relicanth) taking it on - is this a good thing though? It's a really cool typing, quite possibly my favourite concept-typing in the game, but when you actually try to put it into use it can become quite the burden. With Grass-type moves being so common and countless other very common weaknesses like Fighting, Ground and Electric being brought into the mix these Pokémon have a very hard time standing their ground in the meta, which is a big shame because I'd love to use them more. What do you guys think about it? Would you prefer for them to take on some more useful typings or to keep the cool Rock/Water-typing, if you even like that concept?

And on a completely unrelated note, what on earth do you think a Shell Smash'd Omastar looks like? Eek.

Sirfetch’d

And on a completely unrelated note, what on earth do you think a Shell Smash'd Omastar looks like? Eek.

That is actually something that I never really thought about, haha but I am pretty sure that it would be creepy. It would probably look something like a disgusting slug or if you have ever seen the episode of Spongebob when Gary broke his shell...yeah that XD. However, I am glad that a few of the fossil Pokemon actually get this move even if it is a bit creepy. It makes otherwise mediocre Pokemon like Omastar and Carracosta pretty good Pokemon to use.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
WARNING X&Y SPOILERS

So today we found out about the two Kalos region fossils! Here they are;

Spoiler:

There's a Rock/Dragon T-Rex with an ability to power up his biting moves and there's a Rock/Ice diplodocus with the ability to turn its Normal moves into Ice and boost their power. What do you guys think of these two new fossil Pokémon? Do you plan to use them? Which do you prefer? I personally adore them both, especially the Ice/Rock one it's so cute eeeeep. Discuss! :D

Sirfetch’d

These are 2 of my favorite X&Y Pokemon that have been revealed so far. Both of them have really amazing designs and the new abilities that they have are really unique. The Rock/Dragon one reminds me a bit of Rampardos, but with a better typing. Can you imagine having a Pokemon that can run both Outrage and Head Smash for STAB? This thing is going to be really powerful. As for the other one, I prefer this guy a bit more. Yes, the typing of Rock/Ice is not the best, but you cannot overlook the cuteness of this thing. I would go as far to say that this is by far the cutest fossil Pokemon of all time and might even be my favorite! Really looking forward to using these and seeing their evolutions. :D

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
These are 2 of my favorite X&Y Pokemon that have been revealed so far. Both of them have really amazing designs and the new abilities that they have are really unique. The Rock/Dragon one reminds me a bit of Rampardos, but with a better typing. Can you imagine having a Pokemon that can run both Outrage and Head Smash for STAB? This thing is going to be really powerful. As for the other one, I prefer this guy a bit more. Yes, the typing of Rock/Ice is not the best, but you cannot overlook the cuteness of this thing. I would go as far to say that this is by far the cutest fossil Pokemon of all time and might even be my favorite! Really looking forward to using these and seeing their evolutions. :D
Completely agreed about this whole post haha. I think the T-Rex has huge potential to be everything that Rampardos should've but hopefully he won't be such a glass cannon. I would love for him to be this huge powerful beast that tears down anything in its path and the Rock/Dragon-typing seems perfect for that, so lets see what it can do. It's a shame about Rock/Ice being such a bad type combination though - it's about time they made one but it's weak to sooo many common types and even has two 4x weaknesses. It looks like an adorable and certainly an interesting Pokémon but I've got no idea whether or not it'll actually be usable. Let's just hope and pray, right? 8D I'm adoring the Ice/Rock one, he's got potential to be my favourite fossil to date.

Sirfetch’d

Completely agreed about this whole post haha. I think the T-Rex has huge potential to be everything that Rampardos should've but hopefully he won't be such a glass cannon. I would love for him to be this huge powerful beast that tears down anything in its path and the Rock/Dragon-typing seems perfect for that, so lets see what it can do. It's a shame about Rock/Ice being such a bad type combination though - it's about time they made one but it's weak to sooo many common types and even has two 4x weaknesses. It looks like an adorable and certainly an interesting Pokémon but I've got no idea whether or not it'll actually be usable. Let's just hope and pray, right? 8D I'm adoring the Ice/Rock one, he's got potential to be my favourite fossil to date.

Yeah I totally agree with you about the T-Rex Pokemon. Hopefully it will be a bit bulkier with more speed as opposed to Rampardos who has horrendous stats in both defenses and speed. I wouldn't even mind a little less attack it it meant it not being so fragile! At least it is neutral to Water and Grass type attacks now unlike Rampardos, so that is just another reason that this Pokemon will be so much better =D

Years
Name: Radiance
Partner: Armaldo

Armaldo is my favorite fossil Pokemon. It's design is pretty cool, and it's also my first Pokemon card that was a fossil Pokemon.

Years
Helloooo fossil club!

Name: Cirno or Janna
Partner: This sweetie right here:
408.png

Rampardos is my absolute favorite fossil. He's so cool and I just love, love his design. :) I've loved the guy since I saw Roark had a Cranidos in his team. Though.. I've yet to actually raise one lmao.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Name: Radiance
Partner: Armaldo

Armaldo is my favorite fossil Pokemon. It's design is pretty cool, and it's also my first Pokemon card that was a fossil Pokemon.
Hiya, welcome to the club! Why is it that you like Armaldo so much? I think it's an incredibly cool Pokémon and the Rock/Bug-type was a really fun combo (especially when it was given to something other than Shuckle finally) but I always found it kind of underwhelming. The design is incredible and I adore Anorith but unfortunately I've just never found him overly usable. Shame about Cradily too - that thing's gross. XD

Helloooo fossil club!

Name: Cirno or Janna
Partner: This sweetie right here:
408.png

Rampardos is my absolute favorite fossil. He's so cool and I just love, love his design. :) I've loved the guy since I saw Roark had a Cranidos in his team. Though.. I've yet to actually raise one lmao.
Hi sheepy, welcome to the club! :D Rampardos is an incredible Pokémon ahhh. It's such a huge beast of power and it's such a fun Pokémon to use. The 'glass cannon' nature making it die every other second is a big annoyance and it cuts down the usability a heck of a lot but I think it's a cool enough Pokémon to make up for it. I certainly suggest you get round to using one soon haha, it's a lot of fun!

So how do both of you feel about the new X&Y fossils? :o

Years
  • Age 22
  • Seen May 23, 2023
*sees digimon-like dinosaur*

I can't even.. omg <3

I think everyone within a five mile radius knows how much I love dinosaurs. While we've got Cranidos and Rampardos, they didn't have the same dinosaur feel. There were pterodactyls and fish and yet there was no king to roam the grounds. If you have no idea what I'm talking about, tyrannosaurus rexes were generally regarded as one of the strongest dinosaur species in existence. I've never seen a Pokemon so closely resemble one in all honesty. Origins aside, I'll move onto the Pokemon itself.

Rock/Dragon is a great typing for competitive and in-game. Dragon shrugs off the weaknesses that rock would usually face such as grass and water. It'll also give it a 4x resistance to one of the most feared hitters in the game, fire. Even though fire-types run all sorts of strange moves, this really has a lot of potential. The two typings cancel out all sorts of weaknesses making a really balanced Pokemon. I don't see a type that it'd struggle with particularly since it'll probably have access to a huge range of moves. The ability I was honestly expecting but nonetheless it's really fitting for such a ferocious creatures. I love its design as well- simple and neat. I think I've found the next best thing since Swirlix. My only complaint is that they should of designed a triceratops counterpart. >:[

As for the second one, could Gamefreak ever invent a cuter thing? I really hope this new thing ends up like Dragonair except not a big, fat orange dragon. The typing is rather unfortunate when it comes to facing off in battle but its still got that charm and I'm willing to give it a try. The ability makes it easier to switch into powerful moves like Return and Facade as well! I like its design as well. Overall another cool Pokemon to add amongst the collection of fossil Pokemon. Shame it's fighting ability will be nailed down by all those weaknesses though. (this pokemon is gonna looooove lucario)

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
Name: Stoney the Togekiss
Partner: Tyrunt

Um... is there a limit on how many partners we can have?
If I could have 2, I'd also like to have Amura...
If not, I'll just stick with Tyrunt...

Personally, I LOVE the new fossil pokemon... I have NEVER been as excited for fossil pokemon as I am now...

I'm seeing Tyrunt evolving into a EPIC T-rex that'll strike fear into the heart of other
like the T-rex did to the Jurassic Park characters & Amura evolving into something beautiful,
something like a quaduped Milotic...

CloysterOyster

Master of Ice
Years
I guess since I made my own teams for all the other clubs, I should make my own "fossil" team:

Spr_5b_142.png

Aerodactyl @ Hard Stone

-Ancientpower
-Wing Attack
-Bite
-Supersonic

Spr_5b_138.png

Omanyte @ Mystic Water

-Water Gun
-Withdraw
-Protect
-Ancientpower