• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ancient Relics: The Fossil Fanatics

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
No way, Head Smash and Outrage? I'm assuming it gets Earthquake too and hopefully there'll be some super strong biting move released (Hyper Fang is a possibility for him...?) so he'll be one hell of a badass Pokémon if he gets the Attack that we're hoping for. Plus Dragon and Rock are both two pretty offensive types to start with so I'm expecting this thing to destroy anything in its path paha.

Your partners can evolve once we find suitable sprites for them if you'd like! ;D Eek though, I didn't realise they both had quite that many weaknesses... I was expecting Aurorus to be weak to just about anything that touches it (though Ice/Rock is a great combination to fight most of them off, let's just hope he has some decent Speed) and he'll fall incredibly easy to most things in the OU tier with Bullet/Mach Punches flying all over the place, but I was expecting Tyrantrum to have a lot more resistances than that. Hopefully it won't end up disadvantaging them too much but we'll have to wait and see how they work in practice. Would it put you guys off if they ended up being weak to just about everything that exists? XD
Isn't Crunch stronger than Hyper Fang?
Personally, I'm hoping it'll learn Poison Fang... that'll help with those pesky fairies...

YAY!!!
I get Tyrantrum & Aurorus!
(once the spirtes are found, that is... & can I suggest that you edit the first post to
show names for our partners, if people wants to name their partners?
If you choose to do so, my Tyrantrum will be Bowser & my Aurorus will be Aurora...)

& it would put me off GREATLY...
In fact, it'll be HEARTBREAKING if the 2 best fossils EVER ends up worthless...

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015

This. I do hope some new moves or something comes up that helps out both Tyrantrum and Aurorus. Remember Carracosta's Special Defense? We don't want to make another story like that here... and I don't want one of them to be defense-oriented and one of them to be attack-oriented. That would obviously mean Aurorus get's to defend, and hell it would defend with these type weaknesses XD

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
This. I do hope some new moves or something comes up that helps out both Tyrantrum and Aurorus. Remember Carracosta's Special Defense? We don't want to make another story like that here... and I don't want one of them to be defense-oriented and one of them to be attack-oriented. That would obviously mean Aurorus get's to defend, and hell it would defend with these type weaknesses XD
& this! GET A HINT, GAMEFREAK!!!

Years
I feel that Shieldon and Bastodion are given a lot of hate, but to be honest I think that they're both pretty cool. Who else has a fossil they think should get more love?
bastiodon.jpg

Sirfetch’d

I feel that Shieldon and Bastodion are given a lot of hate, but to be honest I think that they're both pretty cool. Who else has a fossil they think should get more love?
bastiodon.jpg

I think they are certainly interesting, but not amongst my favorites haha. I think all of the hate comes from the fact that they are a pretty defensive Pokemon who don't really have a niche outside of setting up rocks or inflicting toxic upon the opponent. Their movepools are shallow and their offensive stats are borderline horrid and not to mention the massive Fighting weakness. With that said though, I have seen people able to use these Pokemon successfully but they just aren't for me.

Elaitenstile

I am legend
Years
  • Age 24
  • Seen Feb 27, 2015
bastiodon.jpg

I'll have to say Bastiodon has some "friendly knight" appearance on it. So that way I'd say he's cool. Shieldon has some spice on him, too. He's like a "amiable but stubborn" type of character.

One major credit going to them is their ability to stop sweepers on their feet. They have two 4x weaknesses and Fighting and Ground moves are really common, so they've got a lot to worry about. But! They have this peculiar ability called Sturdy. That'd make them able to survive a hit, and they use Metal Burst. That's a very useful tactic to stop those Earthquakers or Close Combaters.

Generally, Carracosta has always gotten hate because of it's not-so-respectable Special Attack and not-very-dangerous attack. Of course, with Shell Smash it can turn over the cards, but I reckon it won't be able to KO the other guy purely with one Shell Smash, and Sturdy only allows one-time resistance against Special Attack moves.

This means always the defense-oriented Fossils are picked upon. Archeops can't stand a second Stealth Rock without it's ability activating, and Rampardos is too damn slow, and Choice Scarf doesn't help a lot if it's looking for a KO with it's gigantic attack.

But seriously, it's just that these fossils boderline between deadly and impractical. I mean, they still look cute and cool, right? And some of their names are really just swag.

Take Omastar for instance. Omastar. Oh-mah-star, see? And Kabutops and Aerodactyl somewhat. The Hoenn Fossils don't have much zing, I'd admit, but then the non-fossil fossil Relicanth has a lot of zing in it. Rampardos just sounds cool, the way it's built. Bastiodon is also pretty awesome. Then Archeops also seems rather interesting, but say Carracosta fast. The way the name is built is also pretty swag. All the fossil Pokémon names are swag, tbh. Especially the evolved ones.

PS - What do you guys think of the new fossil names?
Personally, I feel "Jaw Fossil" doesn't have much depth in it. Considering the first time I had to pick between two fossils, I always took the one whose name sounded better. Jaw doesn't stand off that much, so I'd say "Sail Fossil" sounds better. I think "Sail Fossil" is also a bit of a misnomer, though. I would think I'm getting another Water/Rock type fossil or a Dark/Rock that looks like a pirate.

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Hmm, I would have to say they aren't the best names. I don't think I could have thought of anything better, so I'm not going to bash them. All I know, is that the jaw fossil will be mine. I will use it, and it will kick some serious butt. How well it fares in competitive play, well, we'll just have to wait and see.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Isn't Crunch stronger than Hyper Fang?
Personally, I'm hoping it'll learn Poison Fang... that'll help with those pesky fairies...

YAY!!!
I get Tyrantrum & Aurorus!
(once the spirtes are found, that is... & can I suggest that you edit the first post to
show names for our partners, if people wants to name their partners?
If you choose to do so, my Tyrantrum will be Bowser & my Aurorus will be Aurora...)

Oh man I didn't think of Poison Fang, that'd be badass paha. I can see this thing getting a lot of great coverage if we get lucky with his Fang moves - hopefully the ability will give a nice bonus too. And sure, if anyone else wants a nickname let me know and I'll add them too :D

As for Bastiodon, I honestly love the big brute haha. It's such an odd design but a really cool one at that and the typing gives him some great defensive opportunities; it's just a shame he's 4x weak to two of the most common and strongest types. Steel/Rock is an endlessly cool type combination and I was really hoping to see him find more niches to be used in but unfortunately Batsiodon just doesn't quite have the support skills necessary to be a lot of use on many teams. From what I've heard he can be good for setting up, but with the huge mass of Fighting/Ground moves in the current metagame and all of his other weaknesses piling up onto them I don't think he'd survive long enough to pull off many moves haha. It's a shame, it's such a cool design for a Pokémon.

I'll have to say Bastiodon has some "friendly knight" appearance on it. So that way I'd say he's cool. Shieldon has some spice on him, too. He's like a "amiable but stubborn" type of character.
This is definitely why I like Bastiodon though - that description is perfect for him haha.

Generally, Carracosta has always gotten hate because of it's not-so-respectable Special Attack and not-very-dangerous attack. Of course, with Shell Smash it can turn over the cards, but I reckon it won't be able to KO the other guy purely with one Shell Smash, and Sturdy only allows one-time resistance against Special Attack moves.
Ehh, Carracosta's one of those Pokémon that I wish they'd done differently. It's a cool concept but he just can't pull off any interesting plays without dying (he even manages to somehow ruin Sturdy + Shell Smash; good job ya big ugly turtle thing) and I just wish they'd given him a better start from the gates. I really want to love him but he's just so... disadvantaged, haha.

But seriously, it's just that these fossils boderline between deadly and impractical. I mean, they still look cute and cool, right? And some of their names are really just swag.
And I think this is what makes fossils such a fun bunch of Pokémon - they all have such unique and interesting strategies and quirks, it makes them such a fun bunch of Pokémon to train haha.

PS - What do you guys think of the new fossil names?
Personally, I feel "Jaw Fossil" doesn't have much depth in it. Considering the first time I had to pick between two fossils, I always took the one whose name sounded better. Jaw doesn't stand off that much, so I'd say "Sail Fossil" sounds better. I think "Sail Fossil" is also a bit of a misnomer, though. I would think I'm getting another Water/Rock type fossil or a Dark/Rock that looks like a pirate.
Ehh Jaw fossil's fine - it's not the most interesting of names but a jaw bone is something that you'd expect to find fossilised and it suits the Pokémon well so I'm okay with it. As for Sail Fossil I don't really know what to think - I assume it's referring to the massive fins on the evolution's back? But I'm not a fan of it - I just hope they're pretty paha.

I'm having such a hard time deciding which to use though. Tyrunt is this badass fossilised dragon dinosaur with an almighty jaw and power to boot, but Amura is such a cute little underdog Pokémon with a beautiful evolution and more interesting quirks that you could shake a stick at. I feel like Tyrunt will be more useful and Amura will be more of a looker, but I just can't decide between them haha. Has anyone else?

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
@ AlexOzzyCake:
I think you can tell by my choice of partners that I can't decide myself...
(Altough, if push came to shove, I'm leaning towards Tyrantrum...)

As for Bastidon:
What about Metal Burst?
It's my understanding that it acts like Counter & Mirror Coat in one, but with a 1.5X multipler
instead of 2X...
With a Focus Sash, I'd think that it can use it's weakness to an advantage &
KO the opponent's Fighting-type for sure, unless it has a Substitute protection...
(A sure KO, even if it's only one before it goes down, I would think be VERY helpful...)

& for Carracosta:
Maybe it's problems will be fixed with a Mega evolution?
I don't know if it'll get one during the 6th gen, but maybe the 7th?

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I'm afraid that a mega-evolution might be the only thing to save Carracosta. If only it had a little higher attack, or a little higher speed. Peole might be more into using it. I've seen people use it tremendously in competitive play, but it really needs to be the focus of the team in order to perform well. Same goes for Bastiodon. If only it got levitate. XD

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I'm afraid that a mega-evolution might be the only thing to save Carracosta. If only it had a little higher attack, or a little higher speed. Peole might be more into using it. I've seen people use it tremendously in competitive play, but it really needs to be the focus of the team in order to perform well. Same goes for Bastiodon. If only it got levitate. XD
Wouldn't my idea with Focus Sash & Metal Burst work just as well against Ground-type attacks
like it would Fighting-type attacks?

But then, I'm not even sure if my Metal Burst idea would work in the first place...

I need to look into this...

EDITED IN:
Just looked it up...
My Metal Burst idea does work, but apparently a one-for-one deal isn't that fruitful...
But I wonder if there's a way an ally could heal it so Bastiodon could use Metal Burst again without
the ally commiting suicide...

Last edited:
Years

I love these guys! They're adorable. Even though I didn't like Sinnoh much, it did have my absolute favorite set of fossils. Though admittedly I've yet to even use a Shieldon on my team.. perhaps that's a thing to try whenever I get another copy of Platinum.

But yeah, I do feel Relicanth is quite underloved. Not really surprising though; he's catchable very late into R/S/E and by then you usually already have a water type, plus he has that painful 4x weakness to grass. The 45 special attack really kills the poor guy in games where the physical/special move split hadn't happened yet, too. :( He's also the outcast of the group as he's the only one that doesn't require you to revive a fossil.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Same goes for Bastiodon. If only it got levitate. XD
Oh god how adorable is that concept. Him waving his legs around in the air trying to keep balance awww ♥ Unfortunately I can't see any of the fossils getting a mega evolution though - it's a big shame but from the rumours I've heard they won't be :( They really could make good use of them given that the majority of them are borderline great but I guess it's just not to be.

Wouldn't my idea with Focus Sash & Metal Burst work just as well against Ground-type attacks
like it would Fighting-type attacks?

But then, I'm not even sure if my Metal Burst idea would work in the first place...

I need to look into this...

EDITED IN:
Just looked it up...
My Metal Burst idea does work, but apparently a one-for-one deal isn't that fruitful...
But I wonder if there's a way an ally could heal it so Bastiodon could use Metal Burst again without
the ally commiting suicide...
The Metal Burst idea would be good if you can somehow manage to get Bastiodon on the field without it dying before the attack but even then you'l left with a 1hp mess of a Pokémon haha. There are some moves to heal allies but I think they do all involve suicide... There is an attack called Healing Wish that you could could stick on another wall Pokémon was use them to set up some hazards before healing and switching back into a fully recovered Bastiodon, buuuut it seems like a lot of strain for a couple of KOs and just as many Pokémon lost yourself. XD

But yeah, I do feel Relicanth is quite underloved. Not really surprising though; he's catchable very late into R/S/E and by then you usually already have a water type, plus he has that painful 4x weakness to grass. The 45 special attack really kills the poor guy in games where the physical/special move split hadn't happened yet, too. :( He's also the outcast of the group as he's the only one that doesn't require you to revive a fossil.
Mmm Relicanth was dealt a very bad deal with his stats/moves. It's not even like he's a viable Pokémon to use on an in-game team because your Water-type needs to know Surf and it's a wasted move on him in any generation. I really wish he was more usable because he's one of my all-time favourite Pokémon but he does make it pretty hard to love him :( The shiny colour makes up for it though ♥

Has anyone actually used this fish carcass in a team before?

Sirfetch’d

Has anyone actually used this fish carcass in a team before?

I actually tried using this little Pokemon once and I had decent success doing so. It was in a tournament and it was selected to be on my team by a RNG. I was skeptical at first and thought that it was going to be a massive fail, but when backed by it's massive attack and a Rock Polish boost it was a very good Pokemon to use. I do agree though that it is hard to use this Pokemon successfully, but not impossible!

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I have yet to use RelIcanth. I haven't even seen it used in competitive play, and I've seen so many pokemon in NU. On second thought, I think I've seen a couple. I'll be back later on how the heck we can make this guy actually work.

SmashBrony

Epic Adventurer
Years
I'll look up Relicanth at smogon later...

But I recall something about GameFreak wanting to give ALL fully evolved pokemons
mega evolutions & something about it not being possible right away & it was a long term
goal... I'm sure I've heard about this from in the X & Y rumours thead...

& for having Relicanth on my team...
Yes, I did, it was named Stoneyfish.
But I don't think I used it for battling, it was to solve the puzzle at the hidden underwater cave
betweem Slateport & the floating town... (it's been so long since I've last played the 3rd gen
games...)

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
I'll look up Relicanth at smogon later...

But I recall something about GameFreak wanting to give ALL fully evolved pokemons
mega evolutions & something about it not being possible right away & it was a long term
goal... I'm sure I've heard about this from in the X & Y rumours thead...

& for having Relicanth on my team...
Yes, I did, it was named Stoneyfish.
But I don't think I used it for battling, it was to solve the puzzle at the hidden underwater cave
betweem Slateport & the floating town... (it's been so long since I've last played the 3rd gen
games...)
Wait what, all fully evolved Pokémon are meant to get one in the future? So there is hope for smellydeadrockfishthing after all! What do you guys think a mega Relicanth could be like? Do you think it'd lose Rock Head? That'd be awful if it did - that's what makes Relicanth so damn fun to use. :(

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
I don't see it losing rock head as I don't really see another ability going with it so well. Plus, rock head is a useful ability, and if Relicanth is going to be a boss, then it needs that ability. A mega-evolution could be just what it needs, but if every fully-evolved pokemon has one, then I really don't see the point. It won't be so special, but I guess you can't just leave some pokemon out. Sorry, got a little off topic there.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen May 11, 2023
Mm I get exactly what you mean there haha. If every Pokémon gets a mega evolution then the mega evolutions will just shift into the same sort of tiers that we have now making them kind of redundant. I think Relicanth has a lot of potential though - if they just increased his Speed a tad (and possibly his Attack too, wouldn't complain!) then he could do a heck of a lot better. Waterfall and Head Smash, alongside Rock Head, gives a very decent amount of coverage with some incredibly hard-hitting moves. All he needs is a bit more Speed or a bit more bulk in order to actually pull these moves off without dying lmao, the poor thing. XD

Nolafus

Aspiring something
Years
Well, I went and tried my hand at teambuilding. You guys inspired me to give it a shot. This was my first shot at it, but I was building a team around Relicanth with this set in NU.
Relicanth @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Rock Head
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Double-Edge

So far I'm 7-1 and Relicanth is doing just fine. I'm having trouble getting rid of his counters, but he's pretty decent at late game sweeping as you can see here.
http://pokemonshowdown.com/replay/nu-53713287

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back