• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

5th Gen Animation Discussion

Ravecat

I'm Right.
Years
  • I'm sorry if this doesn't belong here or has already been made, but I've looked and it seems like this is a good idea.

Pokémon Black and White have come, and with them brought an unprecedented feature in the Pokémon series; that is, fully-animated battles. To an extent anyway.

Some may not be. . . Excellent, but some are truly gorgeous. This thread is for discussing your likes/dislikes about the individual animations and animation implementation itself.

I'm looking for Tentacruel if anybody's seen it, or even a gif of it.

Another point this brings me to is that all of the Hoenn Pokémon are nicely animated, leading me to believe this is further evidence towards a remake.

Firstly, as a note to users, if you want to discuss whether this is in reference to a R/S remake, post it here, rather than discuss it in this thread - though you can make a passing mention in your post, but any discussion goes there. As for sprite discussion in general, post it here. Otherwise this thread is fine for discussing animations and the battle system as a whole, though just not triple battles, as that has its own thread.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Dec 16, 2022
    The animation looks fantasic. :D

I love what they're doing with pokemon

(how does Reshiram learn hyper voice?)

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Personally, I think they could have put a lot more effort in on some of them.

Groudon & Kyogre for example should have had the same treatment as Zekrom and Reshiram in regard to their markings lighting up.

Ho-Oh

used Sacred Fire!
    Years
    • Seen Jul 1, 2023
    Firstly, as a note to users, if you want to discuss whether this is in reference to a R/S remake, post it here, rather than discuss it in this thread - though you can make a passing mention in your post, but any discussion goes there. As for sprite discussion in general, post it here. Otherwise this thread is fine for discussing animations and the battle system as a whole, though just not triple battles, as that has its own thread.

Anyway, I do love how they've done Reshiram/Zekrom's animations. Making their tails animated makes their types, as well as meaning stand out more. I like how the entire battle is animated too, because it looks closer to realistic than any other games. I don't like the stretch when first releasing the PokeBall though, so when I finally get to play it, that might get a bit annoying for me. Oh and... I remember the first screenshots of Zoroark/Zorua, I thought all the battles would look like that, haha.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • Animation Discussion

When I look at its hands while it's dancing, I can't help but think that Bellossom is rickrolling me.

Animation Discussion

I like how Desukan's hands and face would withdraw into the sarcophagus at times.

Animation Discussion

It appears as if Sazandora's main head is in control of its other 2 heads.

Animation Discussion

I don't like how Shibirudon is jumping around like that. It makes it look silly.

Animation Discussion

This suits Guildmaster Wigglytuff's (from the Mystery Dungeon games) personality perfectly.

Animation Discussion

Who doesn't like a Pokemon whose pants fall down each time it pulls them up? I find Zuruggu's animation hilarious.

Animation Discussion
    Animation Discussion

I love Reshiram and Zekrom's animations. I can stare at them all day.

Years
    • Seen Feb 12, 2012
    I really love all of these animations.
    That makes the game more real, not just a "game".
    I think GameFreak had make a great remake of these Pokemon Sprites, too.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • Personally, I think they could have put a lot more effort in on some of them.

Groudon & Kyogre for example should have had the same treatment as Zekrom and Reshiram in regard to their markings lighting up.
    Same here Hopefully they would fix that up in the third or later versions.
    The Manaphy animation reminds me a lot of it's DPPt animation when you are looking up it's stats...

Haza

☆A Life of Pokémon and Beyoncé ☆
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I assumed Manaphy's antenna would have that red glow that they had befire, and in the film when it would use it's signature move Heart Swap. Or Groudon and Kyogre's patterns would glow like in the anime of Ruby and Sapphire openings.

OmegaRuby and AlphaSapphire

10000 year Emperor of Hoenn
    Years
  • I assumed Manaphy's antenna would have that red glow that they had befire, and in the film when it would use it's signature move Heart Swap. Or Groudon and Kyogre's patterns would glow like in the anime of Ruby and Sapphire openings.
    Yeah most of us I'm guessing assumed that Kyogre and Groudon would have had it's signs flash same with Rayquaza...

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    I have not seen Roserades animation yet... anyone got a video or .gif?

Haza

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Oct 1, 2021
    Ugh! If Roserade would have just swayed side to side the entire time that would have been better... I'm on the search for a new mascot.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Ugh...I wish Groudon, Kyogre, and Rayquaza did have their markings glow. Especially Groudon; his markings hardly glow blue at all in most depictions. Kyogre's and Rayquaza's tend to be on constantly, so theirs are more noticeable... Actually, I think that should go for all Pokemon with glowing patterns. I think my first glances at such patterns were Umbreon and Lanturn in Pokemon Stadium 2. Looks much cooler in darker arenas. Seeing Pokemon like Umbreon and Lanturn glowing occasionally would be a nice touch.

Anyway, I like how Reshiram and Zekrom flare up occasionally, hinting at their strength. IMO, side by side, they reference the common red vs. blue mascot theme first established with the U.S. releases of Pokemon Red and Blue Versions.

Zuruggu's animation is too funny! :cer_laugh: A perfect example of why we need more than 2 frames in the sprite animations.

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
    Years
  • Also, the popular sites such as Bulbapedia should definitely feature the animations as their current sprites on the respective articles.

I was anticipating that too, since most (not all :() of the pre-Generation V have been rendered with GIFs/APNGs, or something to that effect. However, I'm figuring it's taking a while to upload all of the BW sprites to the Bulbagarden Archives, let alone the animated BW sprites... :\ So it would be inconsistent right now if only some Pokemon had BW sprites and the rest had HGSS ones...

And anyway, I'd rather wait until the English releases for a full "current sprite conversion", but that's just me.

Ravecat

I'm Right.
    Years
  • Yeah, I'm okay waiting, I just think it should happen eventually.
    Because of the availability of animated .gifs this generation, there isn't really a reason not to.

Back