• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Anime] Shipping Debates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jorah

What do I put here?
Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Hmm, the #PM sub lyrics I've seen of High Touch weren't as Pearlshippy as the lyrics there, and another translation wasn't, either. Like, they just said "Nice partners" "Nice rivals" as their rivals were on screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC83pwBGfSo&fmt=18 Wow, that has to be the worst opening song...

Well, if we're on the topic of the Japanese songs, the Japanese CD covers are sorta shippy...as in, some of them exclude Brock. Ash and Misty didn't ever get a CD to themselves, but I suppose that's because Misty never a proper theme song

Spoiler:

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
    Years
  • Yeah because:

To the north, to the south, east and west
    The scenery goes on changing, but
    No matter where I go......
    Your smile is always there!

doesn't sound pearlshippy at all. :D

And Jorah, check out the movie posters, they all exclude poor Brock, leaving only Ash and Dawn in them. Wait, I'll update this post with some.
    [Anime] Shipping Debates
    [Anime] Shipping Debates
    [Anime] Shipping Debates
    [Anime] Shipping Debates

This has become a tradition for the writers. Every DP movie except the 10th one, left Brock out.
    In the 11th movie with Giratina, Brock remarked how he was always left out as the last since Ash does crazy things usually followed by Dawn.

Last edited:

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
  • This season, Ash had shipping hints with Angie, a tomboy. In BF, he had hints with Anabel. They seem to like the idea of pairing Ash with a girl that's a tomboy. Misty is a tomboy.

Wow, this is a really interesting point. It had never occurred to me before that tomboy characters have crushes on Ash! The funny thing is, that makes complete sense. I think they like guys who can keep up with them, and are tough like them, which Ash uuuuuusually can. (Oh and I'm not including Zoe because I don't think Zoe is a tomboy... she might actually just be a lesbian and hence the short hair... There's a very clear difference.)

By the way, I should mention that Pokeshipping is the only Ash pairing I support, though I don't dwell on it until Misty comes back.

Years
  • Hmm, the #PM sub lyrics I've seen of High Touch weren't as Pearlshippy as the lyrics there, and another translation wasn't, either. Like, they just said "Nice partners" "Nice rivals" as their rivals were on screen https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eC83pwBGfSo&fmt=18 Wow, that has to be the worst opening song...

Well, if we're on the topic of the Japanese songs, the Japanese CD covers are sorta shippy...as in, some of them exclude Brock. Ash and Misty didn't ever get a CD to themselves, but I suppose that's because Misty never a proper theme song

Spoiler:

Well, Misty was a supporting character in those days. That's why she wasn't on a CD alone with him. Back then, the show was mainly about Ash's journey. Once Kris appeared, they decided to make female protagonists from the games play a lead role in the show. Seeing as how Kris was only in Crystal, she was in the Raikou special. May and Dawn were protagonists in the games, therefore, it's why they're equivalent to Ash, and it's also why May and Dawn get more focus than Misty did. Ash =/= Red, but Ash was based on Red as well as May and Dawn were based on their game counterparts. Misty was a gym leader in a game as opposed to a female playable character. If Misty was the female choice in Red/Blue/Yellow instead of a gym leader, she may have stayed in the anime much longer, and given a lot more focus.

As for why Brock isn't on the covers, he's not given a lot of focus in the show. He's a supporting character. Dawn and Ash are the main characters, because their game counterparts are both protagonists in a game. I don't see Team Rocket on the cover either. Were they in the movie? (I don't remember.)

I think the writers may possibly be preparing to get rid of Brock next saga. They're not bothering to put him on the covers of the new Pokemon movies, and he's not doing much interactions with Ash and Dawn anymore. They may want us to get used to the idea of no longer seeing Brock. Brock somewhat hinted at it in an earlier episode of Dp that he'll teach Ash and Dawn some things for if he's not around. Maybe the girl from BW can cook? Since she's older than Ash, she may be a pretty good trainer. She doesn't necessarily have to be a newbie.

I may be a pokeshipper, but I haven't given up the series just because she's no longer on. I think if Misty ever did come back, Ash would be nicer to her, because he learned manners from Dawn. He treats people better now. That's what Misty would like. Misty seemed nicer after she got her bike back. (See cameos.) I think Pokeshipping could flourish from Ash's experiences with these other girls. He can learn something from each girl that he travels with, and eventually someday have a great relationship with Misty. He's respectful of others now.

Last edited:

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Awe man would I love it if Brock would leave, cuz than the possibilitys of Dawn staying would rise up. Unless they get rid of Dawn and Brock and replace them both with the other two fifth Generation characters, both ideas sound nice. However, I'd like my option 1 to happen more. I like the posters a lotXD

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
  • I may be a pokeshipper, but I haven't given up the series just because she's no longer on. I think if Misty ever did come back, Ash would be nicer to her, because he learned manners from Dawn. He treats people better now. That's what Misty would like. Misty seemed nicer after she got her bike back. (See cameos.) I think Pokeshipping could flourish from Ash's experiences with these other girls. He can learn something from each girl that he travels with, and eventually someday have a great relationship with Misty. He's respectful of others now.

That's a really good point. I'd like to see that played out. The only problem I'm finding is that Misty was on such a long time ago that she won't mean anything to a lot of newer (meaning last 5 years) fans, so she'd probably have to have more than a cameo or brief stint in order for people to be able to accept her as someone important in Ash's life.

Also, I'm not sure this has been directly said, but regardless of the games, Brock probably isn't on the poster because girls can probably relate to Dawn most and boys can probably relate to Ash most. Who's relating to Brock? No one I know. So, he's not marketable.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    Ash, you FAILURE.

But where is ben_pokemon? I'd like to know the translation of Dawn's letter to Kenny :P If you have one...You seem to have info like that XD

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    Actually from the Jappanes folks it seems Pearlshipping has won over Penguineshipping. Dawn wrote in a letter there just friends, Kenny was very sad in the end . She leaves with Ash, she cheered Ash on the entire time. Was sad when Ash lost and choose not to travel with him after the gym leader tolled her that she could make her own choices. Than there was the subplot of PikachuxBunary with Kenny's Pokemon, he had a crush on Bunary and fought Pikachu for her. But of course, she likes Pikachu and turned him down. So does this mean Dawn likes Ash too?

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
    Years
  • Ash, you FAILURE.

But where is ben_pokemon? I'd like to know the translation of Dawn's letter to Kenny :P If you have one...You seem to have info like that XD
    Lol, I'm flattered.

Actually, like always I gathered all the info, she said something along the lines "You looked pretty cool defeating Ash" and "Since we both share the same dream of becoming the Top Coodinators, I'm sure we'll meet again."

To me was the letter and the very own episode a send-off to Kenny. Brock decided to help him since he noticed he had a crush om Dawn and Kenny won against Ash, but still...Dawn decided to rather go with Ash than with him.

I also read she was suppose to meet him at the lighthouse where Kenny was at the end of the episode, but instead he found a goodbye letter from Dawn.

Many pearlshippers were worried by PK's report, but he seemed to over-exaggerate a bit making all Pearlshippers panic. Now that we've all seen the episode, half of episode dealt with Kenny's jealousy towards Ash and Dawn and the battle.

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
  • Is that what the letter said? According to some people on Bulbagarden, they're saying that Dawn will tag along with Ash, until the Sinnoh League is over, then travel with Kenny.

When I read that, I was disheartened, hoping that Dawn have a mind of her own and be independent. Sure, May tagged along with Drew, which was nice, thanks to their chemistry, but do the writers need to use that formula everytime? Drew helped May quite a lot which I liked. What did Kenny do? Nothing compared to the levels of Drew. Couldn't they just use something else? I would've liked to see Dawn go her own path, and not follow the whims of a kid who never supported you during your contests, and hardly showed any emotion towards you ever since the Solaceon Ruins episodes. What's with the jealous looks? I wish Barry was there as the moderator...u.u

And Brock? What the heck?! I thought you were neutral on this matter, why are you giving girl advice to that twerp!? Now I'm quite glad you won't be around next series.

So at first I thought this was a clean headshot to Pearlshipping.

But now you guys are saying it's not....I'm utterly confused. >_>

The writers have been cruel to Buizel's battles. Also, the "evolved" forms always have an advantage against base forms. So why the eff did they not evolve Buizel...

I don't know what to think of Pearlshipping. First, I'd like to see Dawn make her own choices. That's the part of growing up. Boy crushes don't help you mature. I was relieved hearing Jasmine saying those words to Dawn. I honestly wouldn't mind Pearlshipping being dead as long as Dawn follows her own path. That way, both sides gain nothing.

ben_pokemon

ツタージャ <3
    Years
  • People are just assuming that. Half of them don't even know what was in the letter so they're jumping on conclusions.

If she indeed wanted to travel with Kenny, she'd join him right away. This episode only showed how Dawn feels about Ash and Kenny. Kenny has a crush on her thus making the PenguinShipping one-sided, while both Ash and Dawn share a pretty tight bond.

Dawn rejected Kenny's offer even though he won. For me, Penguinshipping was headshot. We still have many hints to look forward too for PearlShipping. :D

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    That's what some people were speculating till the episode actually aired itself. Now we know for sure she won't be traveling with Kenny, maybe Zoey if she does actually in fact leave. Than again, who's to say maybe shey'll break this trading girls tradtition. As much as I dislike that bird of hers, I'd rather her stay around. Long Live Pearlshipping!!!

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    There's going to be an anime only girl travelling with Ash instead. Now I wonder what reason they're going to give Dawn for leaving Ash, but I don't think it's going to be much better than the "reason" she started travelling with him in the first place. >_> "Ash, I have to go now...My planet needs me." >_>

I've heard that Dawn didn't say that she thought Kenny looked cool in the letter, just to herself...there seems to be people saying lots of different things, so perhaps we'll just have to wait until subs/dub

I thought Jasmine looked anorexic in this episode, when she looked nice in Johto >_>

Lol, I'm flattered.

I'm too lazy to look for the info sometimes XP Thank you ~

And Brock? What the heck?! I thought you were neutral on this matter, why are you giving girl advice to that twerp!? Now I'm quite glad you won't be around next series.

The writers have been cruel to Buizel's battles.

Brock always seems to like giving input on those sorts of matters :P

Torterra, too. I think I heard someone say it's only won Team Rocket battles since it's evolved. It was knocked straight out in Volkner's battle...It's all for Infernape winning more battles, I think >_> Don't think Mukuhawk's been doing much, either >_>

RubyJB88

The Runway Trainer
    Years
  • I thought Jasmine looked anorexic in this episode, when she looked nice in Johto >_>

That's probably from the old pastel art to the CGI art.

Brock always seems to like giving input on those sorts of matters :P

Oh, when at times he knows what's going on between Ash and Dawn? The writers are forcing it on Brock cause it's what he does best. Cause he really can't do anything else. Time to go. *axed off*

It was knocked straight out in Volkner's battle...

That's because Electivire had its weakness covered with an Ice Punch. Nothing can match Electivire's speed.

Jorah

What do I put here?
    Years
    • Age 33
    • UK
    • Seen Aug 18, 2021
    That's probably from the old pastel art to the CGI art.

Hmm, she doesn't look so thin here though https://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Jasmine#In_the_anime perhaps it's the angle, though

Oh, when at times he knows what's going on between Ash and Dawn? The writers are forcing it on Brock cause it's what he does best. Cause he really can't do anything else. Time to go. *axed off*

Haha XD I wondered what you thought on Brock going, it's always nice to see more people glad to be seeing the back of him XD I can't understand people who say they'll stop watching the show just because he's leaving, since he's just a running gag himself now, and a very old one >_>

That's because Electivire had its weakness covered with an Ice Punch. Nothing can match Electivire's speed.

This does not excuse its neglect :<

Spinor

<i><font color="b1373f">The Lonely Physicist</font
    Years
    • Seen Feb 13, 2019
    you guys are just down in dreaming this pokemon anime series are for kids so they wont make any silly love thingy...
    COMBO BREAKER! *kills mustafa*

And yep. I was right. Penguinshipping got headshot. Poor Kenny. I laugh at your miserable misfortune.

But I want exact text of that letter. NOW.

Shedinjareese

Undercover Rocket
    Years
  • Until a sub comes out I don't want to have any opinion. Jorah, is there really going to be a confirmed new girl traveling with Ash? I wonder if this means Black/White girl won't be a regular.

I think I only liked Penguinshipping because it wasn't Pearlshipping but I am not sure. I want Barry back! Barry x Dawn hints FTW! (ah things that don't exist O_o)

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • you guys are just down in dreaming this pokemon anime series are for kids so they wont make any silly love thingy...

WRYYYYYYYYYYYY /kills mustafa
    -_- I leave for exams and come back for a short while JUST TO SEE SOMEONE SAY THAT?
    Wow, you are awesome. WOW.

Everyone seems to be talking about the Kengo crisis thing... What was happening in that episode, anyway?

PearlShipper4Life

Ash fan girl
    Years
    • Seen Aug 13, 2016
    you guys are just down in dreaming this pokemon anime series are for kids so they wont make any silly love thingy...

Doesn't mean we can't have fun with hints and such :D

Shedinjareese just looking at the images and what my Jappanese friends said about the episode Penguineshipping got the axe, trust me.
    I could see Barry coming back and Conway, so good luck with those two.
    Your a Pokeshipper aren't you? :\ I like how you went out and said that you shipped them cuz you disliked Pearlshipping.

I know you weren't asking me on this.
    We only got a bit of info from anmators saying there's an anime girl.
    W/B girl will not be in it, my guess is cuz she was older.

Tachibana Azumi??? Kenny crises??? Guess you mean, him being jealous of Ash??

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back