• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Animes that amazed/disappointed you.

Jado

Two cookies for Dane <3
    Years
    I was not expecting to like Ouran High School Host Club, since I dislike most shoujo anime. However, I actually found it enjoyable. It was a hilarious series with a great cast of characters.

When I heard that Ranma 1/2 was a martial arts comedy about a boy who can turn into a girl, I figured I would like it. Instead, it turned out to be a pile of dung. It had an awful plot that centered almost exclusively on the characters' inter-relationships and a mostly annoying cast of characters (do NOT get me started on Akane and Shampoo >_>).

I also hated how it tried to force people to like Ranma and Akane's toxic relationship. There is nothing entertaining about two domineering people constantly fighting for power and abusing each other (Ranma through emotional abuse and Akane through both emotional and physical abuse). If anything, their interaction is painful to watch.

Furthermore, the show discriminates against those who are attracted to the same sex, cross-dressers, and transgendered/transsexual individuals. In the show, those with same sex attractions, who liked to cross-dress, or were transgendered/transsexual were treated like garbage by the majority of the show's cast, including Ranma and Akane themselves (funny that Ranma acted this way considering he himself turns into a girl). I detest bigotry, and to see it promoted in Ranma 1/2 made my blood boil.

Additionally, the show enforces gender roles. Most of its female characters want to become housewives just for the sake of fulfilling societal expectations and winning Ranma's affections. Likewise, the majority of its male characters desire to become "men among men" solely to meet societal expectations and win over whoever they are crushing on.

I also felt that the show promoted arranged marriage. While Ranma and Akane did complain about being arranged fiances, they did still fall for one another despite being an incompatible pair. If the show did not promote arranged marriage, I would imagine they would have fallen for other people instead of for each other.

I had high expectations for Slayers, too. I read it was a good series, yet I thought it was barely below average. Sure, it had a few likable characters, but the majority of them were irritating. I also felt that its plot was largely uninteresting and its humor was mostly tasteless.

Last edited:

Misaka Shiori

Irresistibly Cute
    Years
    Well, I'm going to leave the good for the next post, but here is what I got disappointed in alot. Only two animes really disappointed me greatly. Suzumiya Haruhi S2 and Kampfer (5.93 and 6.4 scores out of 10 for the titles)

Suzumiya Haruhi (2009)
    I don't know what the hell Kadokawa and KyoAni messed this up. The first episode was good, but it went downhill quickly with Endless Eight since it repeated 8 times. Yep, 8 times and I just gave up watching Endless Eight and start ranting on it on my Blog instead of covering the Endless Eight arc. However it ended and we are left with the mediocre Sighs arc which Haruhi acts like a jerk... But, you know what happens. This is in fact the first anime on my list to ever get the lowest score over, 5.93, technically an F, but I heard that the movie done better than the second season.

Kampfer
    Well, dropped after watching Episode 1... The concept is okay, male character becomes a Kampfer and has to turn into a girl for the genderbending aspect. However, it gets alot worse with blatant fanservice and no substance. I also decided to watch Episode 6, and it got worse and the lead character seems to have this crush on this controlling love interest named Sakura... Nuff said, it was a horrible experience and dropped again.

Years
    Amazed: One Piece. My god, it's been 5 YEARS and I'm still watching/reading it. I love it, the plot, the people, everything.

Terrible: Bleach. I watched up until Hueco Mundo. I thought it was good, but after careful analysis I realized it lacked a plot, and the main character made no sense at all.

Alice

(>^.(>0.0)>
    Years
    LUCKY STAR!!!!!

Moving on...

Good anime:
    Kenko Zenrakei Suieibu Umisho: Possibly my favorite anime of all time. Lots of ecchi, but I couldn't care less about that in this case. I couldn't help but fall in love with all of the characters, and I laughed through every second of every episode. (I also recommend the manga. It has a lot of stuff that the anime left out.)

Bad Anime:
    11 Eyes: This one just felt stupid to me right off the bat... plus the voice acting was really bad. Never before have I been able to tell whether or not a Japanese voice actor was actually good or not (Probably because I don't speak Japanese.) But this... it was just baad.

ソラ

Im gonna be the King of the Pirates
    Years
    Amazing Anime
    Detective Conan
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Ball Z
    Dragon Ball Kai
    Rurouni Kenshin
    One Piece
    Alot more

Disappointed animes
    Shin-Chan(Didnt like it)
    Dragon Ball GT(I like it cause of DB, DBZ, but this is my least favorite out of my anime list)
    Yugioh(4kids dub)
    -cant think of any others xD.

Great Mazinger

nope.avi
    Years
    • Seen Nov 27, 2013
    Gravion

I couldn't bring myself to watch more then the first two episodes. A generic Super Robot show, with unappealing character clichés (lol she has stupidly large breasts / lol she's so timid and clumsy and wears glasses), horrible pandering (why is the background cast full of girls in maid outfits?) an uninspired plot and the mecha battles aren't even particularly good to make up for it.

TheGearofWar

RAAM Assassin
    Years
    • Seen Jun 14, 2010
    Amazed:
    Wolf's Rain
    - I know, furry galore, but I watched this with my best friend one weekend, and it was amazing. Very different, very unique. I love it.

Disappointed:
    Bleach - Do I really have to say anything more?
    Naruto - Again, I don't think an explanation is necessary
    Hetalia Axis Powers - Oh my god. I tried to watch it, and I tried to enjoy it, but no. Just no. I wanted to cry afterwards. Between Italy's constant pasta gag getting old after 5 minutes (which is how long each episode is), and the lack of any standard plot development, this made me want to just cry. I think it's just too cute for me.

kohei

Pizzaman.
    Years
    Railgun: Well, Index wasn't so good either (the book is uninteresting, what did I expect?) but Railgun is far worse.
    A spin-off of a series that didn't catch my attention... why am I watching it anyway?

Since it's on TV when I'm awake at night.

Throat

Oldschool pokemon
    Years
    Amazed:
    Hunter X Hunter
    NHK ni Youkoso!
    Monster

I erase from my mind the disappointing ones

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    Yes, I'm bored.

Disclaimer, personal opinions, don't twist panties, etc.

Amazing:

Durarara!
    I was expecting this to be an amazing series. It delivered.
    All the characters are incredible, and the way that there isn't really one protagonist is great.
    It makes it so that all of the characters are lovable, and you never really get tired of just one.
    The way they all tie in with one another is just brilliant. Though not exactly original, since this was the way it was with Baccano.
    Guess it's the mangaka's trademark.

Eden of the East
    I was expecting this one to be amazing too- and it delivered, just as DRRR!.
    Ending sucked, but hopefully that will be resolved in the movie.

Kimi Ni Todoke
    Ughhh, so incredible. xAx The animation.... I love it.
    Story is great too- but definitely not for people who don't love slice-of-life.
    Personally being the biggest SoL fan in town, I adore this adaptation.
    And cannot effing wait for the Live-Action.

Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood
    Shoot me now- why wasn't I into this series before? Probably because it wasn't the real story, with the first anime.
    I love the plot in this- the characters, particularly the ones that were actually left out of the first adaption, are so much fun.
    It has a very light twist and I love it. Not to mention they don't drag everything out fifty episodes each event.

Ouran High School Host Club
    Frickin' hilarious. I loved the voice acting, the animation was delicious, and the story was great.
    Ending wasn't the best, but it wasn't the worst for an anime original ending either. Props for that.
    Made a BONES fan out of me.

Kobato
    This was an anime you really had to like to sit through. It's an adorable slice-of-life to me.
    Easily one of CLAMP's better works when you think in the more present-day context.
    Characters are lovable, and it's not uber confusing like Tsubasa. =3=;;

Samurai Champloo
    I started watching this convinced that I wouldn't like it. I just couldn't stand the art style.
    But everything else won me over. Story, animation, characters, Jin, comedy...
    I loved this series through and through, and it was definitely a pleasant surprise.
    Incredible OST as well.

Gundam 00
    Season 1. Season 1. Amazing as heck and the only mecha I've ever liked.
    No toy-box robots like Geass that made me snort and spit milk all over the monitor.
    Ass whupping machines of destruction.
    And H/Allelujah Haptism + Hiroyuki Yoshino.
    What more could you ask of a series.

Disappoint:

Gundam 00 S2
    I'm just going to leave it at first mention. Hopefully the movie redeems this mess.

The Melacholy of Suzumiya Haruhi
    I went into this hoping I'd come out an avid Haru-fan.
    I left an avid Haru-hater.
    The series in general isn't so bad, but I just can't stand Haruhi.

Basquash!
    RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRAGE.
    This series was so AMAZING in the beginning, and then...
    It started to suck. More. And more.
    Until a screencap of it should've been put next to the definition of "FAIL".

Fairy Tail
    I adore the manga like no other.
    But the anime's quality is so guhh I had a hard time watching even the first few episodes.
    It's picking up into a moderately good arc now, so I might be up for picking it back up but...
    It's been so long since I watched an anime that used stock. =3=;

Vampire Knight
    GUH. /GUH/.
    Those who share my sentiments need no further explanation.

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    A spin-off of a series that didn't catch my attention... why am I watching it anyway?

Maybe you're watching it because you like tsunderebiribiri like I do. \o/ (actually is she still tsun'ing around? I haven't watched it since like ep09)

UMMMMMMM

I was really amazed by the stuff I liked, and disappointed by the stuff that I didn't like.

Yeah.

Haruhi 2009? What's that? Is it tasty?

Hantsuki

a little wolf inside a girl
    Years
    + Princess Tutu: The only reason I watched it was because it was on Anime On Demand (when that was still around) and I was checking out all the anime they had on there. I was disappointed when they stopped showing it, but years later, I picked it up again because I just needed to finish it, and it was amazing. The only thing wrong with this anime is the title. The title is what definitely throws a lot of people off. It's not just another mahou shoujo with classical music. It's so much more.

+ Kaleido Star: This was surprisingly engaging. To me, it had a similar atmosphere to Card Captor Sakura (with the comedy and the determination from the main female characters) without the mahou shoujo effect. Still, this show was very magical. It was, indeed.

+ Inuyasha The Final Act: I'm surprised how quick paced the last season is. Although there are still three more episodes to watch, I'm amazed at how much I'm looking forward to the end and all the while sad that it's finally ending. I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how much they follow it, but I've noticed that a couple of episodes seem almost too rushed when I had to go back and see if I was watching the right episode or not. Otherwise, it's as great as ever along with some Ipod-worthy opening and ending songs.

- Umineko no Naku Koro ni: I might have enjoyed it more if I watched it all in one sitting instead of waiting for the episodes to come out, but it was so hard to follow with all the different characters and the crazy plot twists. I know it was not supposed to be anything like Higurashi, but I was still disappointed of how everything was played out. The only good thing about it was the opening and ending songs and the fact that I wanted to see how it all was going to end. Otherwise, it was hard to enjoy because everything jumped around too much.

- ef - a tale of memories.: I heard great things from it and I was impressed by the animation, but I had to drop it because it seemed to be going at an awfully slow pace. I mean, I get that the art is what got this anime's name out there, but they were trying too hard. If someone can convince me otherwise, I doubt I'm going to pick this up again any time soon.

Last edited:

twocows

The not-so-black cat of ill omen
    Years
    Kobato
    Easily one of CLAMP's better works when you think in the more present-day context.
    Characters are lovable, and it's not uber confusing like Tsubasa. =3=;;
    In my opinion, everything CLAMP has done is amazing besides the anime adaptation of Tsubasa, and that wasn't really CLAMP's fault (they were quite displeased with it, as well). I'd be hard pressed to name anything CLAMP has done that I haven't liked.

Maybe you're watching it because you like tsunderebiribiri like I do. \o/ (actually is she still tsun'ing around? I haven't watched it since like ep09)

UMMMMMMM

I was really amazed by the stuff I liked, and disappointed by the stuff that I didn't like.

Yeah.

Haruhi 2009? What's that? Is it tasty?
    It was a one episode thing they did, J. It was rumored they were going to adapt Endless Eight, but I guess it never happened... just like the Matrix sequels and Star Wars: Episodes 1-3. :(

J

good morning
    Years
    • Seen Jun 21, 2016
    It was a one episode thing they did, J. It was rumored they were going to adapt Endless Eight, but I guess it never happened... just like the Matrix sequels and Star Wars: Episodes 1-3. :(

Gee, that must have sucked. Endless Eight was such a nice story too.

Also snowy mountain syndrome and asahinamelancholy and loveratfirstsight and and and etc would have been nice in anime form too.

sad though :(

rm2kdude

Advanced Pixel-Artist
    Years
    • Age 35
    • usa
    • Seen Oct 30, 2022
    Amazing Anime
    Detective Conan
    Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood
    Dragon Ball
    Dragon Ball Z
    Dragon Ball Kai
    Rurouni Kenshin
    One Piece
    Alot more

Disappointed animes
    Shin-Chan(Didnt like it)
    Dragon Ball GT(I like it cause of DB, DBZ, but this is my least favorite out of my anime list)
    Yugioh(4kids dub)
    -cant think of any others xD.

You should add Death Note, Code Geass, Gundam 00
    Dragonaut
    Shigofumi
    Persona - trinity soul

Rainflower

분홍신
    Years
    Amazed
    - Sengoku Basara
    - Nodame Cantabile
    - Nodame Cantabile: Paris-Hen
    - Chobits
    - Saber Marionette J

Dissapointed
    - Hetalia Axis Powers
    - Air Gear (The anime version sucks. The manga version is....awesome 8Db)

Loki

x
    Years
    • Seen Apr 4, 2024
    In my opinion, everything CLAMP has done is amazing besides the anime adaptation of Tsubasa, and that wasn't really CLAMP's fault (they were quite displeased with it, as well). I'd be hard pressed to name anything CLAMP has done that I haven't liked.

CLAMP hasn't really done anything I haven't LIKED, but they haven't really done anything other than Kobato that I've really LOVED.
    The thing with Holic and Tsubasa is that they're both so... confusing. At least, towards the end of Tsubasa, I was completely lost. xD;

I was never really a fan of CLAMP's older works either though. It's probably the art style that puts me off though- I'm really sensitive about art. :C

Amazed
    - Sengoku Basara

Dissapointed
    - Air Gear (The anime version sucks. The manga version is....awesome 8Db)

Sengoku Basara. ;w; I should've given that one an honorable mention.
    It was so epically bizarre it rocked my rocked.

Air Gear anime was pretty fail, I agree- but it was nice to see them in action, and the OST was incredible. c:
    Easily my favorite OST to date. <3

Back