• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Greenlit: Anti's Competitive Battling Tips: Team-Building

Anti

return of the king
Years
  • The idea for this piece is very straightforward. The most common barrier people in our battling community run into is team building. A common occurrence on the Battle Server is a conversation like "hey, wanna battle" "i'd love to, but i have no teams :(" so the goal of this article is to give people more expertise and confidence in building. The only clarification I want to make is that this is not intended to be a broad team-building guide but rather a collection of observations that I think would be useful for some of our less confident battlers as they tackle the task of team-building.

The content I have planned for the article is as follows:

- Metagame-Friendly: Great teams do not exist in a vacuum--they are good because they perform well against opponents, who tend to use similar Pokemon and strategies. I want to begin my tips by opening with the observation that great team-building--and the great teams that follow--emerge from a deep knowledge and understanding of the metagame. If you are unfamiliar with a metagame, it is virtually impossible to build a good team, so that immersion experience (usually on the ladder) is required.

- Win Conditions: Many people build teams around win conditions, or Pokemon that can win in the endgame. While win conditions vary from battle to battle, many Pokemon are inherently threatening as win conditions. Here I want to discuss how to select win conditions and how to ensure that a team's combination of win conditions accounts for the variety of the metagame, both in terms of Pokemon variety and stylistic variety.

- Counterplay: This seems like an obvious point, but it has its nuances. I want to discuss how to build in necessary counterplay for Pokemon that threaten your team's original core and how to make sure that you do so in a stylistically cohesive way. For example, if I am building a team around Serperior, Quagsire sounds nice to help with Talonflame, Heatran, and Scizor should they force my Serperior out, but it adds passivity. Rotom-Wash is a much more cohesive choice to accomplish a similar defensive goal, as it is much less passive and can pivot momentum back to the Serperior user with Volt Switch. Finally, I want to emphasize that, while counterplay is important, building a team whose primary goal is to have checks for metagame threats is a losing bet--even stall builds need strategies and their own paths to victory besides "don't die"!

- Avoiding Role Filling: Many novice builders try to fill in roles like physical sweeper, Stealth Rock setter, etc. without an eye for the synergy of the Pokemon. Here I just want to briefly spell out the difference between role filling and synergizing, and how to avoid the former in favor of the latter (and how to identify each).

- Necessary Utility: This point is just to explain two things: 1) why Stealth Rock is mandatory on any serious competitive team, and 2) why Speed control (often in the form of priority attacks) is also necessary for defensive purposes. I hope to offer suggestions about how to include these aspects to cohere to a team's goals. One example would be using a Stealth Rock setter that beats Mega Sableye 1v1 for teams that nee extra support against stall.

- Miscellaneous Utility: Here I want to talk about how random little bits of utility can make a team more more playable and flexible in practice, especially defensively. The utility I want to include is Rapid Spin/Defog, Magic Bounce (these two are mainly hazard control), momentum moves (U-turn, Volt Switch, and Baton Pass), Sand Stream, Regenerator, Pursuit, Rough Skin/Iron Barbs/Rocky Helmet, non-SR hazards, status counterplay (Heal Bell, Magic Guard, type immunities, Natural Cure), Scald counterplay, Prankster+status, Intimidate, and Taunt, and secondary effect moves. I want to dive into how each of these things can make actual battles much more enjoyable and successful.

- Ease of Use and Reliability: Pokemon that are more reliable and easier to use are objectively better than roughly equal Pokemon who are not as reliable. These categories refer to game aspects like the accuracy of moves, the battle conditions requires for success, and how prediction-reliant a Pokemon or strategy is to function. I want to talk about how to make sure that you have Pokemon with a margin for error and how that makes Pokemon like Keldeo far superior to Pokemon like Hawlucha even though both can be tremendously threatening.

- Consistency: It is important that both individual Pokemon and teams as a whole have some degree of consistency, which is to say that they are not match-up based. I want to briefly talk about how to avoid making a one-dimensional team while also offering guidance on how to avoid falling into the "this Pokemon beats offense, this Pokemon beats stall, and this Pokemon beats balance!" trap.

- Accepting Weaknesses: Every team has weaknesses. It is important to have ways to play around weaknesses, but as long as that is the case, trying to mix and match at the end of building to cover obscure weaknesses is a waste of time. However, if something can outright 6-0 you with very minimal support, that is a huge problem. The acceptability of weaknesses is also stylistically dependent, which I intend to touch on further in this section.

- Specialization: Teams can be made great on the margins. Specialization of EV spreads and secondary moves on Pokemon can make huge differences in how effective a team is, and I want to discuss in some depth how to do that successfully.

- Testing: Finally, I want to offer some advice on the testing of teams, including when (and when not) to make changes, how to properly adjust to using a new team, and how to use the ladder to bring out the most in your team.

That's it. If there is anything I should add or remove, I am open to hearing suggestions.

Lastly, as the first half of this thread's title suggests, I'll do a few more of these when I have time. In particular, I want to do a few pieces on battling strategy, which is not requested as often but would be even more useful in my opinion.

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen yesterday
    Looks good, approved. Win conditions kind of cover this already, but definitely go over how players need to learn how to prioritize offensive synergy over defense. I've seen many players (including myself when I was newer) resorting to only using glue and other support Pokemon on a team without having any win conditions or support for their win conditions. As a result the team ends up reacting to the other instead controlling the momentum.

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • I've copied your post into a new thread in the Editor's Workshop subsection if you'd like to draft the article in private!

Also, let us know if you have any suggestions or the like for images within the article or as the article cover image.

Anti

return of the king
    Years
  • I've copied your post into a new thread in the Editor's Workshop subsection if you'd like to draft the article in private!

Also, let us know if you have any suggestions or the like for images within the article or as the article cover image.

Thanks! I will almost certainly be using Pokemon sprites or mini-sprites to make visualizing some hypothetical teams a bit easier. Other than that, if I think of a cover image, I'll let you know. :P

Years
  • It might be worth mentioning the importance of 'synergy' since it's often explained to new players whenever teambuilding is brought up, yet it never really seems to be expanded upon or highlighted just how important it is. I guess it kind of relates to win conditions, so you could perhaps put it in that section (relates to counterplay as well although I think that term could be potentially misleading and perhaps still compel people to pick the Quagsire over the Rotom-W, since it has the word "counter" in it). If you communicate that a team is constructed in a way that one win condition's counters [say, Clefable] are a free switch for another strong win condition [Keldeo] to do significant damage to the opponent's team, then you are communicating in a way that promotes a philosophy of activity rather than passivity (which is a very important point to drive home in competitive pokemon). Along with this it's worth mentioning things like offensive cores of "breakers" to overload opposing defenses, as well as lures. True and effective synergy is probably a "higher order" teambuilding concept [despite being tossed around as a buzzword], but your article layout seems fairly comprehensive so I figured that I'd mention it.

Also on a much smaller scale, it may be useful to recommend using threat lists in teambuilding [in order to check for significant weaknesses that one may have initially missed, as well as to examine Pokemon that can provide something to a team as you are constructing it], as well as using frameworks/references [examining teams you liked and how they used a core or group of Pokemon effectively in order to provide insight into how you can use these Pokemon effectively on your own teams, or perhaps modify their cores to become even more effective or unique].

If you need any help with graphics then I'd be happy to provide it :)

ddrox13

Anti-Nonsense
    Years
  • I have a intro to com battling written, but I left out teambuilding. I was debating on weather to post it or not, and it might be better to post that first :P. Whatever, looks like a fun read either way.

Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Love this idea. When the time comes I'd love to make a cover image for this!

Back