• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Any Zelda fans?

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    Hey there!

Is there any Zelda fan on this Forum? They must be some, no?

I don't know, Zelda has such a big story/many games/popular, it can be fun if we decided to talk about it here :3

Any thought about the new Zelda U speculations, about the gameplay or the story?
    Anyone playing a Zelda game recently?
    Anyone who like t cosplay some Zelda Characters and who'll like to show us?

Let's talk about Hyrule!

pkmin3033

This was totally triggered by the discussion in the DCC, I'll bet. xD

I have a love-hate relationship with Zelda, like I do most long-running series. I started with Link's Awakening, and I have this inherent bias towards the 2D titles. They're just...better. Don't get me wrong, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were great, but I've had so much more fun on the Gameboy titles - the Oracle duo were a huge part of my childhood and getting them again on VC was a dream come true. Minish Cap was pretty great too.

I'm replaying A Link Between Worlds right now and it's the best new Zelda game to come out in years, too...the less said about Skyward Sword, the better. I don't really understand the hype around Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, but then I got an N64 very late in its life-cycle - the Gamecube was just around the corner - and they didn't form a cornerstone of my childhood. As far as I can see, all they did was shape the franchise into what it is now...not as fun as it use to be.

I have no hopes or speculations for Zelda on NX--sorry, Wii U. I'll care about it when I have a copy in my hands and not before.

Judge Mandolore Shepard

Spectre Agent
    Years
    When it comes to the Legend of Zelda games I have played the following:
    The Legend of Zelda The Minish Cap
    The Legend of Zelda Phantom Hourglass
    The Legend of Zelda Twilight Princess
    The Legend of Zelda A Link Between Worlds
    The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time 3D

Of those games, the only one that I have beaten is A Link Between Worlds.

Mawa

The typo Queen
    Years
    This was totally triggered by the discussion in the DCC, I'll bet. xD

I have a love-hate relationship with Zelda, like I do most long-running series. I started with Link's Awakening, and I have this inherent bias towards the 2D titles. They're just...better. Don't get me wrong, Wind Waker and Twilight Princess were great, but I've had so much more fun on the Gameboy titles - the Oracle duo were a huge part of my childhood and getting them again on VC was a dream come true. Minish Cap was pretty great too.

I'm replaying A Link Between Worlds right now and it's the best new Zelda game to come out in years, too...the less said about Skyward Sword, the better. I don't really understand the hype around Ocarina of Time or Majora's Mask, but then I got an N64 very late in its life-cycle - the Gamecube was just around the corner - and they didn't form a cornerstone of my childhood. As far as I can see, all they did was shape the franchise into what it is now...not as fun as it use to be.

I have no hopes or speculations for Zelda on NX--sorry, Wii U. I'll care about it when I have a copy in my hands and not before.

Huh that's surprising, I thought the 3D ones where really more popular than the 2Ds!

I started with The Legend of Zelda (NES), and I never played Ocarina of Time nor Majora's mask before the 3D version. I loved them (well, more OoT than MM), I lost something for my youth!
    But what I like its not only the gameplay.. it's the story. The way the timeline is done. Okay it can be improved, but I haven't seen another game with such a developed history, and every games bring more to the story!
    Skyward Sword was bad at the beggining, I didn't wanted to continue. But a friend told me it's a very good game, we only have to keep going, and it's true. It is one of my favorite Zelda Game (my favorite being Twilight Princess).

The games I played or own (I bought some on the 3DS e-shop but still haven't played them):

The Legend Of Zelda (NES) --> completed with my brother
    Zelda II the adventure of link (bought, haven't played yet)
    Link's Awakening DX (still playing, almost done)
    Ocarina of time (3DS)
    Majora's mask (3DS)
    Oracle of ages (bought, haven't played yet)
    Four sword --> complete with a friend
    Twillight Princess --> Gamcube, Wii and WiiU (done more than once)
    Phantom Hourglass --> never finished it
    Skyward Sword

Loriania

Mars Adept
    Years
    Yeah, I've a fan since Ocarina of Time.

Games I own-

Ocarina of Time 3D
    Majora's Mask 3D
    A Link Between Worlds
    Spirit Tracks
    Phantom Hourglass
    Twilight Princess (GC)
    Wind Waker (GC)
    A Link to the Past (GBA)
    Minish Cap

Virtual Console-

Oracle of Ages
    Oracles of Seasons
    Link's Awakening DX

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    My first exposure to the Legend of Zelda was Phantom Hourglass (I was about 10 years old). I know the DS games seem to get a lot of hate, but I absolutely loved both Phantom Hourglass and Spirit Tracks. Since then, I think I've at least played almost every Zelda game (some of them, like the two Oracle's ones, I haven't finished; planning on doing sometime in the future). I loved Ocarina of Time and Skyward Sword (another Zelda game which I don't understand where the hate for it comes from). Majora's Mask was pretty fun too, but I enjoyed OoT more out of the two. A Link Between Worlds was fun, but it was so short that I found myself still unsatisfed after I had 100% completion. The only Zelda games I haven't played are Twilight Princess, Wind Waker (yeah I don't have a Wii U XD), Four Swords Adventures, Minish Cap, and Tri Force Heroes (I couldn't make myself pick this up for whatever reason...).

pkmin3033

Huh that's surprising, I thought the 3D ones where really more popular than the 2Ds!
    This is true; as usual, I find myself in the minority here. The 2D Zelda titles do have a dedicated little fandom within the fandom; they're by no means unpopular or underrated, but they are generally regarded as inferior despite the fact that Zelda has its roots in 2D and without ALttP it's doubtful OOT would exist.

Ocarina of Time is one of those games that it's difficult to judge objectively, because it codified an entire genre, never mind the Zelda franchise. It brought a much-loved series to 3D and set a lot of precedents, which have been used and re-used both in Zelda and outside of it. This tendency to regard the first game that did it as "the best" is something that plagues the industry and is another topic entirely (and one I will probably start eventually if I'm not beaten to it) so I won't go there, but as someone who didn't play OOT until much later on I fail to see what makes it so good, when other games have long since improved upon what it did and when, mechanically speaking, it was a huge downgrade from A Link to the Past. I see it as more of a test run for things to come than as a defining moment in the series.

Regarding the DS titles, since I neglected to mention them...honestly, I only have two complaints beyond the usual "too short, too easy" spiel: you had to go through every damn floor of that Hourglass Dungeon repeatedly in Phantom Hourglass - which they fixed in Spirit Tracks, thank god - and in Spirit Tracks using the flute by blowing into the mic was an exercise in patience; it was another one of those Nintendo innovations for the sake of innovation that was totally unnecessary and detrimental to the experience. For touch-screen controlled games, for the time, the DS Zelda duo were pretty great games. Drawing on the map was simplicity itself and a fantastic idea Zelda on the Wii U has no reason not to incorporate, and doing things like drawing lines for the boomerang's path felt totally natural and was a lot of fun. Controlling Link at times was awkward - rolling - but they are far from being the worst Zelda titles.

Skyward Sword gets that dubious honour, in my opinion. I've not played the notoriously terrible Wand of Gamelon, and whilst Zelda II was pretty abhorrent, that was more because of its radically different gameplay style. Skyward Sword has no such excuse to cower behind.

Last edited:

Firebolt

Reach for my hand~
    Years
    in Spirit Tracks using the flute by blowing into the mic was an exercise in patience; it was another one of those Nintendo innovations for the sake of innovation that was totally unnecessary and detrimental to the experience.

I personally liked blowing the mic... It felt like I was actually (sort of) playing the instrument myself. It's probably just my younger self talking.

I like how we both have different things we like and dislike about the Zelda games. It means that the developers have room to improve on the game. Once they run out of room, the series will start to go stale (although all these remakes lately have been pushing it).

pkmin3033

I personally liked blowing the mic... It felt like I was actually (sort of) playing the instrument myself. It's probably just my younger self talking.
    Sure, by itself it would have been nice...but having to drag your stylus across to the right notes made it an extremely imprecise and irritating task, in my opinion. The last song in particular required pinpoint precision...it would have been so much better if we could have just used buttons in conjunction with blowing on the mic or something.

I think the dislike for Phantom Hourglass came from having to repeat one of the dungeons. Personally, I preferred Spirit Tracks.
    Yeah, that was the Temple of the Ocean King...if it didn't have the timer for the floors you'd already cleared, it wouldn't have been quite so bad. As it was it was a tedious slog you have to revisit frequently. Spirit Tracks improved on that mechanic significantly...and added Zelda as a partner, which made it much more appealing by default.

countryemo

Kicking against the earth!
    Years
    Yup! Pretty sure there was a big Zelda Club before they were well all shut down, twice.

I started off my Zelda adventure with Wind Waker on the gamecube actually. I played the NES/SNES/N64, though we never had Zelda for them, and I never actually heard of the series, so I picked it up on the whim. To this day its still my favorite entry.

I've played nearly all of them except the CDi games, Oracle games, FSA, and TriForce Heroes.

I own:
    Wind Waker HD (Also on Gamecube)
    Twilight Princess HD (Also on Wii)
    Ocarina of Time 3D (Also on Gamecube)
    Majoras Mask 3D
    Link between Worlds
    Skyward Sword
    Phantom Hourglass (Sadly probably stolen, so was my OoT 3D, recently rebought that though)

I've only emulated Minish Cap, though its one of my favorites, alongside Wind Waker and Skyward Sword.

Years
    • Seen Jul 2, 2023
    I like Zelda, though I'm not that great about finishing Zelda games. I started with Wind Waker (well, technically, I started with a GBA version of ALttP, but I think I only beat one dungeon on it). The series has really grown on me in recent years, and I actually just started playing through all of the games recently (including ones I hadn't played before; I had mainly played 3D ones, so most of the 2D games are new to me). So far, I'm not too far (beat the original Legend of Zelda, skipped Zelda II for now, and am playing A Link to the Past), but I'm having fun with it.

I'm looking forward to Zelda U/NX, and excited to see more details about it at E3. I don't have a lot of speculation to add for now, though. I haven't been too thrilled about what Nintendo has been doing with some of their other series lately, so I'm hoping they haven't done anything to mess up Zelda. They seem to have a lot of confidence in the game (or they're faking it because they have nothing else to show), so I'm hoping that confidence is deserved.

Cordeline

7th Horizon: Märchen
    Years
    • Seen Nov 12, 2021
    I like Zelda ^-^. I remember I watched my brothers play Wind Waker when I was young and I always liked it. They eventually let me play it and I played some more games later on. I think Ocarina of Time is my favorite and Majora's Mask a close second, but Wind Waker will always have a special place in my heart ^-^.

I have played some others. I played A Link To The Past and the ones for GBC. Also the ones for 3DS but they were a chore to play due to the gimmicks.

I also played Twilight Princess but I didn't really like it, and I don't really know why x_X. It didn't have the same magic Wind Waker did for me, and it's not even about the vastly different graphics.

pkmin3033

I have to ask this of those of you who can remember when Wind Waker was first announced: what was your initial reaction? The backlash from Wind Waker was absolutely ridiculous, since this was an era where cel-shading was pretty thin on the ground and Nintendo's reputation was less than stellar at the time...and this was coming off OOT and MM, too. Were you outraged by Celda too?

I find it kinda funny that Wind Waker is arguably the best-looking 3D Zelda title and it's because of the art style that kicked up such a fuss. Cutting-edge quickly turns to crap as the generations pass, but cartoony-style graphics are timeless. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Twilight Princess, but some of those character models...

Giggleswee

[Screaming in emoji]
    Years
    AHHHH ME ME ME!!!!!!
    My first game I think was either A Link to The Past or WInd Waker but I've had every console game except for the new one. I've played Phatom Hourglass, Wind Waker, Link to The Past, Ocarina of TIme and Majora's Mask

EC

Years
    • he/him
    • Seen Jul 1, 2022
    Huge Nintendo fan. I'm not a fan of the Zelda series though. I will give the new Zelda game on the NX a chance though. Might even pick up "A Link Between Worlds" for the 3DS later this year.

Years
    I find it kinda funny that Wind Waker is arguably the best-looking 3D Zelda title and it's because of the art style that kicked up such a fuss. Cutting-edge quickly turns to crap as the generations pass, but cartoony-style graphics are timeless. I mean, don't get me wrong, I love Twilight Princess, but some of those character models...

Wow you took the words right out of my mouth. One of the things that I love the most about Wind Waker is how well it's aged. A good art style always trumps good graphics. It's true in movies too! Just try to watch the 1982 Tron with a straight face, I dare you.

pkmin3033

Huge Nintendo fan. I'm not a fan of the Zelda series though. I will give the new Zelda game on the NX a chance though. Might even pick up "A Link Between Worlds" for the 3DS later this year.
    A Link Between Worlds would be a good place to start; whilst OOT set the precedents in the 3D titles, it owes much of that to A Link to the Past, and ALBW is a successor to ALTTP...meaning it's vastly improved on the formula. It's not a typical Zelda title thanks to the rental system either, so if you're not overkeen on linearity the ability to tackle dungeons in whatever order might appeal to you.

Back