• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone else notice a lot of characters with only a letter for a name?

Years
    • Seen Nov 14, 2023
    As the title says.

In Naruto, the eight tails jinchuriki (sp?) is named B. The raikage is named A.
    The guy from Death Note is named L.
    The anti-hero in Pokemon Black and White is named N.

Just wondering if anyone else noticed it. Your thoughts?
    I think it's kinda funny and weird. Idk if a letter for a name is supposed to be a cool thing but it just seems more funny to me.

Years
  • Spoiler:

Anything can have many thoughts to be shared upon,
    If the mind observing and contributing, has many thoughts to begin with.

Years
  • There are also C.C. and V.V. from Code Geass (pronounced C2 and V2). Neither of those are their real names, C.C.'s voice was muted when she said her real name to Lelouch, as for V.V. it's not revealed to anybody at all

Eevee3

╰( ´・ω・)つ━☆゚.* ・。゚
    Years
  • I've only noticed N from Pokemon but it seems that there's a lot, I just haven't watched anime where this occurs.

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    Single-letter monikers tend to convey the feeling of mystery. I've noticed that characters with a complicated backstory are often named with a solitary character. L from Death Note and N from Pokemon are a few examples.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • They usually stand for something. N stands for Natural Harmonia Gropius, so that's a thing.

As for other names... I don't give them much thought. I've not encountered very many, though.

Years
    • Seen Jun 27, 2014
    It makes sense for anonymous-like people. I don't see it as really some kind of pattern or anything.

Brolijah

Secretly (Not) Active
    Years
  • Just wondering if anyone else noticed it. Your thoughts?
    I think it's kinda funny and weird. Idk if a letter for a name is supposed to be a cool thing but it just seems more funny to me.
    With OCD, I end up noticing even the most minor things lmao.
    Heheh... Oddly, I can relate. I thought it was a weird quirk of mine or my OCD that I also acknowledged this idea, but figured insignificant because nobody would share this idea. Although, each of your examples are nicknames or renames.
    More often than not, I see A's and B's names spelled as Ay and Bee respectively (basing on the localized translations, that is). I suppose it's simply meant to be a pun on the pronunciation of them. Also, I believe Bee's name was a handed down nickname from Ay.
    In the case of N, it's short for Natural Harmonia Gropius. I still remember the odd theories that arose when this was announced... But, I digress.
    L, N (aka Near), and M (aka Mellow) also are simply names. I don't believe we learned Near's and Mellow's real names, but L's name is Lawiet, if I recall correctly.

Years
  • haha gropius

I think it's for mystery and drama, yeah. The first thing you think is "how the hell did they end up with a name like that" and the writer' done his job. Personally I think it's a bit of a trope and so kind of lame :(

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2020
    This may be due to a Japanese fascination with initialisms, which their language doesn't strictly have, making it a novelty to them.
    Ergo, any character named in this way is meant to evoke a foreign sense of mystery and/or modernity, while to an English audience this just seems a bit inane.

Back