• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Anyone think we might be heading back...? (SPOILERS)

Years
    • Seen Aug 22, 2017
    Spoiler:

There's just something about this idea that draws me to it... anyone else got any thoughts?

thedestinedblade

Radiant Cool Boy
    Years
  • Pandering towards the first Gen 1 is nothing new, but since this was the 20th anniversary of the franchise they went a little overboard in that regard. This is the year of Gen 1 inside of Gen 7th.

Honestly, it wouldn't surprise if we eventually return to Kanto once again, in some way or form. Although it would be pretty boring unless they completely rebuilt the region.

Then again, a third game could be ignored once again, and we head off to Sinnoh instead.

Years
  • I feel all the Kanto references are mainly for the 20th anniversary, while the Alola Forms serve as fanservice while also honoring Kanto's 20th anniversary.

blue

gucci
    Years
  • There does seem to be some heavy emphasis on travelling back to Kanto, but whether they'd actually go through with it remains unknown. At most, I'd expect us to be able to only visit certain parts of Kanto rather than a fully fleshed out remake of the whole region. I do like the idea of following Lillie over to Kanto, but it all depends on if there is a third game and whether it's a sequel or just a rehash with some slight changes. In that case then I'd guess we will be travelling through Alola again.

Pyrax

Midnight Guest
    Years
    • he/him
    • UK
    • Seen today
    I hope not. Kanto's been way too overexposed and pandered to for my liking, the other regions should get some recognition for once. And as colours mentioned, Gen I's currently on VC, so there's no point.
    But if GameFreak is planning a revisit, then I sincerely hope Johto is postgame, like a reverse Gen II. It's literally connected to Kanto and the magnet train exists, there's practically no reason to exclude it.

Years
    • Seen Feb 26, 2020
    I would love to see a sequel where we go back to Kanto. But I think I would want it to still have the story of gen 1 and 2 in it. Or something along the lines of playing as Lillie or Hau in Kanto. That would be pretty cool.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2024
    It would be pointless to remake Gen I if they've already re-released it for VC, imo.

If remakes were just there to provide access to their region's Pokemon, that'd be true. But they're not. We already had access to Johto and Hoenn's Pokemon, but we got remakes of them anyway.

The point is to bring the old games up to do mechanically. Off the top of my head, things that have changed even since FRLG:

• Physical/Special split from DP
    • Hidden Abilities from BW
    • Mega Evolutions from XY
    • Fairy-type from XY
    • Many new moves and abilities.
    • More evolutions / pre-evolutions.
    • They abandoned trade restrictions and gating off Pokemon not in the regional dex.

That's a lot. There's plenty of reason to remake them, even with the originals on the VC.

And then there's other things like time of day which existed at the time of FRLG, but weren't included (making Pokemon like Espeon/Umbreon) inaccessible.

The VC RBY were just re-releases. No attempt was made to bring them in line with the current generation, because doing so would be impossible without completely remaking them (and even if they found a way, it wouldn't exactly feel like RBY).

I hope not. Kanto's been way too overexposed and pandered to for my liking, the other regions should get some recognition for once. And as colours mentioned, Gen I's currently on VC, so there's no point.
    But if GameFreak is planning a revisit, then I sincerely hope Johto is postgame, like a reverse Gen II. It's literally connected to Kanto and the magnet train exists, there's practically no reason to exclude it.

Magnet Train didn't get built until 3 years after the events of RBY/FRLG, so unless we're talking about something set during or after the events of GSC/HGSS, but which start in Kanto, there wouldn't be a Magnet Train. But, there are land and sea routes, and I'd like to see Johto as well.

lloebet

[color=#58FAD0][font=geo][u][i]Ancient[/i][/u][/fo
    Years
  • Considering how much they've been sucking on Kanto's you know what throughout Alola it honestly wouldn't surprise me. I honestly find Kanto to be the most boring region and have 0 interest in returning to it.

There are higher chances of us returning to sinnoh here soon anyway.

Edit: And a game with Kanto and Johto would just be another HG/SS? Do we really need another one?

Last edited:

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    All the references and stuff to Kanto are just because this game was made in part to celebrate the series' 20th anniversary, which is also the 20th anniversary of the Kanto games. It doesn't really indicate a Kanto re-remake coming soon.

Though I'm certain they'll do it at some point.

pkmnmaster69

When will this day end?
    Years
    • Seen Oct 24, 2020
    Absolutely. I could definitely see remakes again at some point in the future. As tired as some of you may be of Kanto, Gen I is still the most recognisable, iconic and marketable generation to the masses, hence Pokemon Go's initial popularity + Game Freak pandering to that audience that definitely contributed to the astronomical sucess of Sun/Moon. It's only a matter of when, as remaking R/B or FRLG would help sustain that popularity, and I could definitely see these remakes tying into the inevitable 25th anniversary that would be treated as big of a deal as this years anniversary.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    The fact that Lillie wants to go there almost guarantees we won't be going to Kanto. Ever. She will, as per usual, get lost, and find herself somewhere, anywhere else.

Years
    • Seen Jul 8, 2023
    I think instead of releasing a game just to revisit one region they should do a Pokemon World Tour game. All old regions included. Either starting in Sinnoh or giving players a choice on where to go and in what order. Not all content would need to be played to "win"... maybe X number of badges from all regions...And an amazing battle showdown at the E4 and Champ, made from various characters.

Back