• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

nmorr

Takin a brake. -_-
Years
Pokedex

hey everyone, I have two questions.

1. How to check how many pokemon the player has seen\caught.

2. How to add a pokemon to the pokedex without seeing it in battle or having it.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
It's easy to check the party for a specific species, but I can't seem to work out how to sort of...reverse that, so it can work out what species of pokemon is first in the character's party. am I missing something super obvious?
Do you mean check what pokemon is in the first position of the party, or check the species before adding it to the array? How are you "showing" the player the pokemon? If the pokemon already exists in the party, you can use pbChoosPokemon to store the species in a variable, as well as the name(if I'm remembering right). You may want to make an identical method that sets the species to whatever you're "showing" the player instead of the pokemon in the party. I'm not entirely sure if that's what you were needing, but I hope that helps.

@tasmania12: using townmapgen.html was difficult for me when I did it since it's not as clear as it could be. You may just have a field that's improperly set up (it happened to me a few times before I got the hang of it). Just look and see if you can find a problem with how it's configured (and follow the notes or wiki closely) and correct it.

@nmorr: in a script, a line like this should display the number of pokemon owned:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}",$Trainer.pokedexOwned))
while this will show how many you've seen:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}",$Trainer.pokedexSeen))
You can probably mix the two if you want it to show in the same message, like this:
Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("{1}/{2}",$Trainer.pokedexOwned,$Trainer.pokedexSeen))
Checking them just requires checking those methods ($Trainer.pokedexOwned, and $Trainer.pokedexSeen)

To silently add a pokemon as being seen, use this in a script (not in an event):
@seen[200]=true
Just change the 200 to the ID number of the pokemon.

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
Do you mean check what pokemon is in the first position of the party, or check the species before adding it to the array? How are you "showing" the player the pokemon? If the pokemon already exists in the party, you can use pbChoosPokemon to store the species in a variable, as well as the name(if I'm remembering right). You may want to make an identical method that sets the species to whatever you're "showing" the player instead of the pokemon in the party. I'm not entirely sure if that's what you were needing, but I hope that helps.

doesn't pbChoosePokemon store the index and the name, not the species? atm it just checks to see if the first pokemon in the party is an egg, and if it isn't, it uhhh attempts to get the species, which is the bit that isn't working. sigh. I thought I'd worked it out, but clearly I haven't, since the first pokemon you show to the character is treated like a new pokemon, but no matter what pokemon you show to the character afterwards, the script reacts as though you've shown that pokemon before.

what I was trying was something like this:

Code:
$pokemonshown = []

def pbshowpokemon
  y = $Trainer.party[0].species
  z = $pokemonshown.length
  i = 0
  while i <= z do
    if y = $pokemonshown[i]
      Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("You've already shown me this pokemon..."))
      break
    else
      if i = z
        $pokemonshown << $Trainer.party[0].species
        $game_variables[61] += 1
        if $game_variables[61] = 1 or 2
          Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("What a cool pokemon! Do you have any more you can show me?"))
          break
        end
      else
        i += 1
      end
    end
  end
end

but lol it's so not working. fml forever.

Last edited:

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
Years
Is there any way Poccils RandomMap Script will work outside of The Essentials Kit? :( The original it was based on wasn't meant for it, but it's all in Japanese... originally he made a standalone script for it but it's not up on the site anymore, and I can't get the one that came with the Essentials kit to work without the rest of the kit.

Years
Could anyone help with this, if so i'll post the bits of corresponding script. Thank

error.jpg

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
Code:
$pokemonshown = []

def pbshowpokemon
  y = $Trainer.party[0].species
  z = $pokemonshown.length
  i = 0
  while i <= z do
    [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]if y = $pokemonshown[i][/COLOR]
      Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("You've already shown me this pokemon..."))
      break
    else
     [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] if i = z[/COLOR]
        $pokemonshown << $Trainer.party[0].species
        $game_variables[61] += 1
       [COLOR=DeepSkyBlue] if $game_variables[61] = 1 or 2[/COLOR]
          Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("What a cool pokemon! Do you have any more you can show me?"))
          break
        end
      else
        i += 1
      end
    end
  end
end
I think I see your problem now. The highlighted lines should use "==" instead of "=" since the single "=" is actually assigning the value (so it would always return true), while "==" checks whether or not things are equal. It gets me from time to time too, just like those "end" clauses at the end of a script.

@victorspvl: That's more or less the entire purpose of this thread. To find and correct problems with the kit, and support the addition of new functions as well as changes. I don't know if a bug free kit exists, there's just stable ones that mostly work.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
I think I see your problem now. The highlighted lines should use "==" instead of "=" since the single "=" is actually assigning the value (so it would always return true), while "==" checks whether or not things are equal. It gets me from time to time too, just like those "end" clauses at the end of a script.

that always gets me! ugh I even remember thinking about that at one stage, I was all "hmm, should that perhaps have two =s? nahhhh". sigh.

unfortunately, it's still not really working. but I think it's getting closer! what it's doing now is actually throwing an error message at me when I show the character a second pokemon. the error is

Spoiler:

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
@tasmania12: using townmapgen.html was difficult for me when I did it since it's not as clear as it could be. You may just have a field that's improperly set up (it happened to me a few times before I got the hang of it). Just look and see if you can find a problem with how it's configured (and follow the notes or wiki closely) and correct it.

I followed the instructions carefully and a small white square is supposed to be where you clicked, but it wont show and fill in the map position. Isn't there another way to do the map? (besides using townmapgen.html)

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years
So, I tried talking to the Day-care man with a ditto in the day-care and my game crashed.

Also, has anyone else notice that if your in a city that has its night time song playing, you enter a house that has the same music, and come back out the music stops?

Last edited:

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
that always gets me! ugh I even remember thinking about that at one stage, I was all "hmm, should that perhaps have two =s? nahhhh". sigh.

unfortunately, it's still not really working. but I think it's getting closer! what it's doing now is actually throwing an error message at me when I show the character a second pokemon.
That's odd, since I just tried it and the second pokemon didn't cause an error. Maybe there was a typo or something? Here's the exact code I used, so copy/past and see if it works:
Spoiler:

@tasmania12: you could edit the txt file directly, but you'd have to follow the format closely. I just tried the townmapgen.html and the little white square showed up fine. Is the problem getting the square to even appear, or is the problem inputting the information into the boxes?

@IceGod64: Not sure about the first error, but most sound-based problems can be fixed by erasing audio.dll.

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
Years
That's odd, since I just tried it and the second pokemon didn't cause an error. Maybe there was a typo or something? Here's the exact code I used, so copy/past and see if it works:
Spoiler:

yeah okay, I c/ped that in, and it works perfectly. ughh I don't even understand what went wrong there, it's like the EXACT SAME CODE what ****ing even. /mild rage

anyway, it's all good, so thanks! I ended up throwing the variable manipulation just straight into the event, and that whole part works a lot smoother now, but yeah, it totally works. yay :D

XD003

The Silver Rose of Chaos
Years
Something I'd like to ask.

I had this problem too, but have just managed to fix it.

In the PokemonEncounters script, you need to replace the lines defining encounters (from line 83) with this:

Code:
def pbEncounterType
  if $PokemonGlobal && $PokemonGlobal.surfing
   return EncounterTypes::Water
  elsif self.isCave?
   return EncounterTypes::Cave
  elsif self.isGrass?
   if (Time.now.hour<6||Time.now.hour>=20)
    return EncounterTypes::LandNight
   elsif (Time.now.hour>6||Time.now.hour<=12)
    return EncounterTypes::LandDay
   elsif (Time.now.hour>12||Time.now.hour<=20)
    return EncounterTypes::LandMorning
   elsif pbInBugContest?
    if self.hasEncounter?(EncounterTypes::BugContest)
     enctype=EncounterTypes::BugContest
    end
   end

It should be fairly straightforward to see where it goes.

How would I make it so I can encounter certain Pokemon in the water at a certain time?

Years
Just going to repost, still stuck with the NoMethodError, it's saying that there is an undefined method for pbgetSaveFileName in PokemonLoad 262,

my pokemonload 262 (and surrounding script) looks like this

Code:
def pbStartLoadScreen
 $PokemonTemp=PokemonTemp.new
 $game_temp          = Game_Temp.new
 $game_system=Game_System.new
 $PokemonSystem=PokemonSystem.new if !$PokemonSystem
 @scene.pbStartScene
 cmdContinue=-1
 cmdNewGame=-1
 cmdOption=-1
 cmdLanguage=-1
 commands=[]
 savefile=getSaveFileName("Game.rxdata") <--this is the line 262)
 FontInstaller.install
 data_system = pbLoadRxData("Data/System")
 mapfile=$RPGVX ? sprintf("Data/Map%03d.rvdata",data_system.start_map_id) :
                  sprintf("Data/Map%03d.rxdata",data_system.start_map_id)
 if data_system.start_map_id==0 || !pbRgssExists?(mapfile)
  Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("No starting position was set in the map editor.\1"))
  Kernel.pbMessage(_INTL("The game cannot continue."))
  @scene.pbEndScene
  $scene=nil
  return
 end

tasmania12

Mewtwo Master
Years
@tasmania12: you could edit the txt file directly, but you'd have to follow the format closely. I just tried the townmapgen.html and the little white square showed up fine. Is the problem getting the square to even appear, or is the problem inputting the information into the boxes?

My problem is getting the little white square to come up. It won't come up and it wont auto fill the map position.

Okay, does anyone know how to add a new pokemon into Essentials?

just edit pokemon.txt in the PBS folder following this guideline:

Spoiler:

Last edited:

Nytkoi

Pokemon Copper!
Years
Thanks but I have an error;
---------------------------
Pokemon Essentials
Exception: RuntimeError

Name must consist only of letters, numbers, and

underscores and can't begin with a number.

Make sure the name is defined in

PBS/pokemon.txt.

File PBS/tm.txt, line 8

CHARMANDER,CHARMELEON,CHARIZARD,NIDOQUEEN,NIDOKING,CLEFAIRY,CLEFABLE,VULPIX,NINETALES,JIGGLYPUFF,WIGGLYTUFF,GROWLITHE,ARCANINE,MACHOP,MACHOKE,MACHAMP,GEODUDE,GRAVELER,GOLEM,PONYTA,RAPIDASH,SLOWPOKE,SL...

Compiler:906:in `pbGetConst'

Compiler:925:in `parseSpecies'

Compiler:1478:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:1475:in `each'

Compiler:1475:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:1460:in `each_line'

Compiler:1460:in `pbCompileMachines'

Compiler:3911:in `pbCompileAllData'

Compiler:4034

This exception was logged in

C:\Users\Aksel Taylan\Saved Games/Pokemon Essentials/errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
OK

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
Years

You deleted Charmander but did not delete all references to him.

Look for his name in eve txt file, use CTRL+F and search for CHARMANDER in notepad. It will find that text for you automatically so you can delete it yourself.

Also where you delete Charmanders name, make sure you never have two commas next to each other. If you get that, delete one, but leave the other.

Finally, be sure you check all the files in PBS where charmander might be. This includes TM/HMS, breeding scripts, etc.

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Nov 20, 2017
My problem is getting the little white square to come up. It won't come up and it wont auto fill the map position.
Maybe it's a problem with your browser? Wherever you click, the tiny white square should appear. If it's not your browser, maybe you could try getting a new townmapgen.html (but I don't see how that would fix it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back