• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Himalama

Ghost and Psychic type addict
    Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013

If you mean to have a larger resolution, go to the script 'SpriteResizer' and the replace
    Code:
      @@width=480
      @@height=320
    with the resolution you want for your game.

What do you mean by 'bigger' charsets?

And to connect maps, go to the 'Editor' in your game folder, go to 'Visual Editor', and you can connect the maps from there.

Thank you VERY much for your answers. Really, they've been really helpful.
    I meant using bigger overworld trainer sprites. The ones in essentials are (i believe) the sprites from fr/lg/r/s/e, and I want to use sprites as big as the ones from HG/SS.

Oh, I didn't mean resolution. I want to make the screen bigger, but the sprites have to stay the way they are now. I just want to make the 'canvas' bigger.

Also, when I'm setting encounters on a map, I first have to choose bulbasaur. Next I can choose a pokemon myself, but there's always a bulbasaur in my encounters... =S

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 7, 2014
    Thank you VERY much for your answers. Really, they've been really helpful.
    I meant using bigger overworld trainer sprites. The ones in essentials are (i believe) the sprites from fr/lg/r/s/e, and I want to use sprites as big as the ones from HG/SS.

Oh, I didn't mean resolution. I want to make the screen bigger, but the sprites have to stay the way they are now. I just want to make the 'canvas' bigger.

Also, when I'm setting encounters on a map, I first have to choose bulbasaur. Next I can choose a pokemon myself, but there's always a bulbasaur in my encounters... =S

Shouldn't be a problem to use larger charsets. Just import larger charsets o.ô
    Resize the charsets of the starterkit (paint / paintshop pro / gimp / whatever) or just use d/p/p/hg/ss charsets and import them to rmxp.

You can change the encounters in the textfile (starterkit/pbs/pbencounter.txt). Should be easy to modify (if you don't understand the textfile, just look it up in the notes.htm).

Himalama

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013
    Shouldn't be a problem to use larger charsets. Just import larger charsets o.ô
    Resize the charsets of the starterkit (paint / paintshop pro / gimp / whatever) or just use d/p/p/hg/ss charsets and import them to rmxp.

You can change the encounters in the textfile (starterkit/pbs/pbencounter.txt). Should be easy to modify (if you don't understand the textfile, just look it up in the notes.htm).

I've found the last one out myself, but thanks anyway :)
    About the charsets, isn't there going to be a HUGE error if I just import new charsets?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I've found the last one out myself, but thanks anyway :)
    About the charsets, isn't there going to be a HUGE error if I just import new charsets?
    The charsets aren't limited to any exact size. It's proportional. You simply need to make sure that there are 4 tiles vertically and 4 horizontally, and each must be the exact same size. So, if you want chars that are 32x32, you would arrange them 4x4 on a 128x128 sheet. If you want 64x64, you arrange them on a 256x256 sheet. Of course, making excessively large sprites poses problems with collision detection and stuff, but if you're just going for the slightly larger 4th gen size, import a few from somewhere into your project, and you should find that they work perfectly fine.

Himalama

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013
    The charsets aren't limited to any exact size. It's proportional. You simply need to make sure that there are 4 tiles vertically and 4 horizontally, and each must be the exact same size. So, if you want chars that are 32x32, you would arrange them 4x4 on a 128x128 sheet. If you want 64x64, you arrange them on a 256x256 sheet. Of course, making excessively large sprites poses problems with collision detection and stuff, but if you're just going for the slightly larger 4th gen size, import a few from somewhere into your project, and you should find that they work perfectly fine.

Thank you VERY much :) really helpful

Years
    Is there any way to make a graphic wait X amount of frames without having to use pbWait.
    I just need to make one graphic pause for 30 Frames and then use a graphic.update to change it with another graphic while being able to move through the pokedex summary screen.

Last edited:

Shirayuki Sousetsu

User of Aura
    Years
    • Seen May 24, 2011
    Ok, i've searched this thread and i haven't seen what i was wondering about, i apologize if it was there and i missed it, but i'm using RPGMakerXP, i'm adding the animated pokémon to the essentials kit, but that's not the issue, i was wondering if there was a way to script to do like in HGSS and have the first pokémon in the party walk behind the player. If anyone knows please help me out.

Atomic Reactor

Ughhh, I added a bunch of Pokemon trainers into the notepad, then put them into the game. But one of my maps won't load and i get this error...
    -------------------------------------------------
    Exception: TypeError
    Compiler:3248:in `+'
    Compiler:3248:in `pbConvertToTrainerEvent'
    Compiler:2838:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
    Compiler:2833:in `each'
    Compiler:2833:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
    Compiler:2828:in `each'
    Compiler:2828:in `pbCompileTrainerEvents'
    Compiler:3548:in `pbCompileAllData'
    Compiler:3636
    ------------------------------------------------
    What does it mean? :/

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Ok, i've searched this thread and i haven't seen what i was wondering about, i apologize if it was there and i missed it, but i'm using RPGMakerXP, i'm adding the animated pokémon to the essentials kit, but that's not the issue, i was wondering if there was a way to script to do like in HGSS and have the first pokémon in the party walk behind the player. If anyone knows please help me out.
    In Pokemon Essentials DS you can see this script working, but if you prefer they separately, see here

Can someone ask my questions, please?

Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2011
    thank you FL, i was messing around with that but it never kicked into my head.

Next question

If I were to release the game after after a certain amount of time and then blockoff paths to other areas like in Shiny Gold, when should I do the first release? after 2, 4, 8 gyms? Also, do I need to add anything to make game saves transferrable to new updated versions. (This may be out of place but I would like it answered.)

P.S. 88 being the name I gave to my rival, its the guaranteed name for the rival. It'll explain itself when the game goes live. The name is still undecided.

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Someone asks in this threat a month ago or more if is possible to create bridges in ground to pass under, I manage to create but via RPG Maker xP events.
    To do this put a bridge and block for step in borders via database. Put two events lines with "Player Touch" trigger circulating the bridge in area that you go to pass under or pass below. In the first line activate an switch and in second desativate. In bridges create an event for every tile with two pages to switch via the switch that you activate and desactivates. In one page mark the box "Always on Top" and "Through" (both in same page).

It's hard to explain and I aren't good at this...

thank you FL, i was messing around with that but it never kicked into my head.

Next question

If I were to release the game after after a certain amount of time and then blockoff paths to other areas like in Shiny Gold, when should I do the first release? after 2, 4, 8 gyms? Also, do I need to add anything to make game saves transferrable to new updated versions. (This may be out of place but I would like it answered.)

P.S. 88 being the name I gave to my rival, its the guaranteed name for the rival. It'll explain itself when the game goes live. The name is still undecided.
    I recommend that you separate some switches ON. In the news versions create an autoruns commons events with these switches and change things with this. I also recommend that these upgrades only works on certain maps like Pokécenters (if you don't be in theses places the game freeze) and put some switches on game to block downgrade.

I don't know exactly the best GYM count to release a demo, but I think's that 2 be good.

Himalama

Years
    • Seen Nov 16, 2013

I keep getting this, no matter what I do. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Also, I'd like to make my game screen a bit bigger. Does anyone know how to do that? Same for changing the start map! I want to start from the player's room, not from test map 02 :(

FL

Pokémon Island Creator
    Years
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Someone can answer my questions on previous page?

I keep getting this, no matter what I do. Does anyone know how to fix it?
    Also, I'd like to make my game screen a bit bigger. Does anyone know how to do that? Same for changing the start map! I want to start from the player's room, not from test map 02 :(
    Well, I use Essentials DS and this problem happened to me (I'm assuming you mean for battles, since thats what happened to me. If not, ignore this and clarify what you mean). I haven't looked in depth at the new versions of Essentials, but I'd assume its similar if not the same.

From my experience, this is because the editor, when setting the background number, does it incorrectly. When you look at the PBS file for metadata and the area for that map, the battleback has the number you put and some sort of rectangle next to it. Simply delete the rectangle and it fixes it.

If you mean to have a larger resolution, go to the script 'SpriteResizer' and the replace
    Code:
      @@width=480
      @@height=320

with the resolution you want for your game.

What do you mean by 'bigger' charsets?

And to connect maps, go to the 'Editor' in your game folder, go to 'Visual Editor', and you can connect the maps from there.
    To start for other map, simply edit the map "Intro" event, the teleport line.

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    Okay, I'm back again with one really bizarre issue trying to implement the move Magnet Rise. Here's what I have:

Script: PBEffects
    Code:
    Pinch=86
    AquaRing=87
    MagnetRise=88
    MagnetUser=89
    Script: PokeBattle_MoveEffects
    Spoiler:

In Pokebattle_Battler I have a section that actually makes Magnet rise work, but that's not the issue, that works fine, here's the problematic part:
    Script: PokeBattle_Battle (Right beneath Safeguard)
    Spoiler:

The issue: The game doesn't display the message "The effects of Magnet Rise on {1} faded!" when Magnet Rise ends. It does end correctly, and works correctly for the 5 turns it's supposed to, but it doesn't display the notification that magnet rise has ended. If I remove the variable MagnetUser then the line appears like it should, but that won't at all, since it needs to say who the effect has ended for.

Edit: I just realized this is in the wrong thread. I will post in Game Dev help from now on.

Last edited:

Atomic Reactor

Now I just have a question.
    Which line, and what script, do I have to edit to change how high the opposing pokemon trainer sprite is displayed in battle?

IceGod64

In the Lost & Found bin!
    Years
    I solved my last problem.

Which line, and what script, do I have to edit to change how high the opposing pokemon trainer sprite is displayed in battle?

Pokebattle_Actualscene

As for where, I'm afraid you'll have to hunt that one down, I don't remember just where and can't find my documentation. Good luck.

Years
    • Seen Sep 2, 2011
    Hi guys, i was wondering, how can i make my rival get a starter. When i choose a starter, he doesn't pick it up, and after i've chosen Charmander, i can still choose other starter. So my problem is: How can i make other people/rivals get starter pokemon? Pls help.

Atomic Reactor

As for where, I'm afraid you'll have to hunt that one down, I don't remember just where and can't find my documentation. Good luck.

Thanks man, had to try a few lines, but I got it :)

Line 1551 incase anyone cares haha (for my game anyway XD)

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
    I solved my last problem.

I've been messing with that too. It's at PokeBattle_ActualScene. The pokémon will not show correctly. You have to change EVERY pokémon by hand at the Pokemon.txt file, I think. Because, all the pokémon will look fine at Wild Battles, but when you are at Trainer Battles, the pokémon will be too high ir the screen.

Years
    • UK
    • Seen May 22, 2024
    Anyone know how to sort out the problem where if you use more than one pokemon against an enemy pokemon and defeat it, if one of yours levels up the next ones don't receive exp?

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back