• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Fraot

Researcher & Game Developer
    Years
    Oh...XD lol Well then XD No I know how I did it I made a flub on my codeing...I put a blank event page that had just the erase event comand, and made it run if a certain switch was activated! As soon as I deleted those instances (there were like at least 10 XD) everything worked fine! lol Whoopsy!

Yep, that was too simple, i was on the opposite situation: i thought everything needed to be activated by switches, not self switches.

OAK

Years
    • Seen Jan 6, 2010
    Hello there again^^
    I've again a problem with a script and I need help.
    So...My situation is this:
    A Team Aqua Person comes to the player and he wants to battle.
    For this I've found this script:
    pbTrainerBattle(trainerid,trainername,endspeech)

My trainerid was 112 and the name of the Trainer was Ben,so I thought this should be right:
    pbTrainerBattle(112,TEAMAQUA_Male Ben,"Grr")
    Hmm, but when the battle should start I get a syntax error...

Could anyone help me with this?

Danno

Formerly Meowth, AKA InnerMobius
    Years
    I'm having an annoying little issue.

Okay, so I'm editing the animations. They keep reverting, til I realize the problem was because I had the editor AND RMXP open at the same time... so I do one at a time.

Playtest game.exe, works fine.

Then, I open the program, and playtest in there...

Get this. The Quick Attack animation I set doesnt load, and the Fire Blast gives this error.

---------------------------
    POKéMON Mewtwo Strikes Back
    Exception: RuntimeError

BitmapCache:365:in `load_bitmap'

BitmapCache:390:in `animation'

PBAnimation:541:in `update'

PBAnimation:490:in `update'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2425:in `pbAnimationCore'

PokeBattle_ActualScene:2380:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Battle:2360:in `pbAnimation'

PokeBattle_Move:581:in `pbEffect'

PokeBattle_Battler:1233:in `pbProcessNonMultiHitMove'

PokeBattle_Battler:1472:in `pbUseMove'

This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.

Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

Help, please? D:

Mortifiier

*blank*
    Years
    • Seen Jul 18, 2010
    Editing Encounter PERCENTAGES

I was wondering if anyone knows all the steps to editing the encounter array. The standard array follows these rules, which you can find in the notes:

Depending on the encounter type, the number of entries required varies:

• Land/Cave: 12 entries (20, 20, 10, 10, 10, 10, 5, 5, 4,4,1,1)
    • Water/RockSmash: 5 entries (60,30,5,4,1)
    • OldRod: 2 entries (70, 30)
    • GoodRod: 3 entries (60, 20, 20)
    • SuperRod: 5 entries (40, 40, 15, 4, 1)
    • HeadbuttHigh/HeadbuttLow: 8 entries (30,25,20,10,5,5,4,1)

However, I'd like to change every encounter type to a 20 entry system using different percentages to make more detailed maps.

I found and edited the original array in lines 287 to 302 of PokemonMap, but I'm not sure how to edit the compiler and editor so that it works correctly in the game. Has anyone done this before, or does anyone know enough to walk me through it?

Atomic Reactor

Alright. I'm having some trouble with the trainers.txt or whatever.
    I'm made a battle were you battle the same person, but the 2nd time. With different pokemon and such.
    It says in the notes that if there's more than one, then i need to add a coma and a number after it.
    so in the notepad it looks like this.

#------------------------
    PKMN TRAINER
    Joey,1
    CHARMANDER,20,31
    CHARMELEON,20,31
    CHARIZARD,20,31

So then how do i set it up in the actual event?
    Do I have to put a ",1" after his name?
    Cause i tried that, and it just says "Joey,1" doesnt exist. :(
    If someone can please clear this up for me i'd be very happy :P

shinylugia249

I'm back
    Years
    • Seen Sep 29, 2016
    Alright. I'm having some trouble with the trainers.txt or whatever.
    I'm made a battle were you battle the same person, but the 2nd time. With different pokemon and such.
    It says in the notes that if there's more than one, then i need to add a coma and a number after it.
    so in the notepad it looks like this.

#------------------------
    PKMN TRAINER
    Joey,1
    CHARMANDER,20,31
    CHARMELEON,20,31
    CHARIZARD,20,31

So then how do i set it up in the actual event?
    Do I have to put a ",1" after his name?
    Cause i tried that, and it just says "Joey,1" doesnt exist. :(
    If someone can please clear this up for me i'd be very happy :P
    Ok first thing don't use the pbs notepad because it can get messy (I found this out myself). Use the editor in the game folder.
    In the editor go to edit trainers. The original joey should be in there. Make another one with the same trainer type and name and it should automatically give it a battle id of 1 with the original having a battle id of 0. Now when setting up the battle use the conditional brach as usual make this the script:

pbTrainerBattle(PBTrainers::PKMN TRAINER,"Joey",_I("Losing Statement"),false,BattleID)

Hope this helps!

Atomic Reactor

Thanks a bunch man. I didn't have that option in the editor..
    But i realized that I just had to put the battle id at the end of that conditional branch script.
    Thanks for the help ^_^

Years
    • Seen Sep 27, 2021
    Exception: NameError
    PokemonItems:11:in `pbTopRightWindow'
    PokeBattle_ActualScene:2446:in `pbLevelUp'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2174:in `pbGainEXP'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2154:in `loop'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2190:in `pbGainEXP'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2072:in `each'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2072:in `pbGainEXP'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2039:in `each'
    PokeBattle_Battle:2039:in `pbGainEXP'
    PokeBattle_Battler:1494:in `pbUseMove'

could somebody help me with this error?

sonic smash down

Where those that train, train hard!
    Years
    Heh, I had to laugh at that AR. I made that mistake a while ago. and it took me forever to get pbs notepad back to where i knew where everything was....XD.

Anyways i wonder if that error deals with scripting problems, or is it dealing wit the pbs pokemon data. you may have to check the pbs stuff. but thats all i can think of right now. srry man DX. It may help more if you show wat the event is.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Yeah, just delete or comment out the second line. I've done that, and it works fine. Also, you might want to change the result of the pbGetPokedexRegion method to a variable, instead of the current region, so you have more control over which regional dex is displayed.
    Is that all? I thought it'd be more complicated, such as assigning a heap of map IDs to different regions or something.

Yes, I'll be editing the pbGetPokedexRegion to use a variable to decide which Region I want to be looking at. This comes as part of a "menu" page that pops up when the Pokédex boots up, with options to look at each Regional Dex. I imagine such a design would work similarly to the Pokégear, so it's mostly a matter of copy/paste.

Speaking of which, though, how are regions defined, anyway? In townmap.txt, where each section corresponds to a region? Makes sense, but then, only towns and other "can Fly to here" places are actually noted in that file, so how can it check which region you're in if you're on a route? (Yes, I won't be using pbGetCurrentRegion here, but I'm curious as to how it works - and for that matter, where pbGetCurrentRegion is in the first place; I can't find it).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Another question, and a bit of an odd one. What's wrong with scarves?

A picture will demonstrate the problem:

I disabled the use of the Pokémon fonts, because I want to use Arial instead. I also don't want to use all caps everywhere, so amongst other things, I edited the item names.

When looking in the Bag, I notice the above. Namely, that any item that contains "Scarf" (with that arrangement of cap and lower case letters) will have its name squashed horizontally. This doesn't happen if I use "SCARF" instead. It also doesn't happen for any of the other items, just the ones with "Scarf" in their name (e.g. "Blue Shard" and "Thick Club" work normally).

So... what's going on here? Why the dislike for scarves?

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Sep 11, 2013
    How can I have a light on a lamp post of in a house window?

I think you name the event Outdoorlight.
    I might be wrong but, it says how in the notes.

--------------------------------------------------

How come when I walk up to the water on the island auto tile I can walk on the tiles around the edges of the 3X3 tile section.
    This causes a problem if you are using the kyledove island tiles.

How can I fix this.

If I need to explain this better just tell me.

-------------------------------------------------

https://www.pokecommunity.com/editpost.php?do=editpost&p=4794112This error appears when I get to the part of a battle where the what to do part appears.
    What script controls this?

Pokemon Sandstone Version
    Exception: RuntimeErrorMessage: Script error within event 27, map 1 (Seaside Village):Section065:432:in `pbSpeed'uninitialized constant PBItems::CHOICESCARFInterpreter:238:in `pbExecuteScript'PokeBattle_Battle:2056:in `pbPriority'PokeBattle_Battle:2055:in `each'PokeBattle_Battle:2055:in `pbPriority'PokeBattle_Battle:1103:in `pbOnActiveAll'PokeBattle_Battle:729:in `pbStartBattleCore'PokeBattle_Battle:563:in `pbStartBattle'PokemonTrainers:491:in `pbTrainerBattle'PokemonTrainers:490:in `pbSceneStandby'PokemonTrainers:492:in `pbTrainerBattle'Interpreter:250:in `pbExecuteScript'Interpreter:760:in `command_111'Interpreter:293:in `execute_command'Interpreter:190:in `update'Interpreter:104:in `loop'Interpreter:195:in `update'Scene_Map:100:in `update'Scene_Map:98:in `loop'Scene_Map:111:in `update'Scene_Map:67:in `main'This exception was logged in errorlog.txt.Press Ctrl+C to copy this message to the clipboard.
    OK

If you would like a scrennshot, just ask.

------------------------------------------------------

All help is greatly appreciated
    Thanks for Reading.

venom12

Pokemon Crystal Rain Relased
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    I have question can i start double battle with wild pokemons, i want to get this with groudon and kyrogue.

Zephyra

I lurk
    Years
    • Seen May 6, 2012
    Where do I edit to change the height and weight entries in the Pokedex to feet and pounds? I was trying to find where the script that writes it is, but I can't find it.

goteamrocket!

noob_game_maker_sorta
    Years
    help plz

i have rg maker xp with pokestarter and im trying to work out the scripting for using key items in the field ie using an s.s. ticket in order to get on a boat or a squirt bottle to squirt a Sudowoodo etc can anyone help with a scripting example?

i should explain more i think...i have-
    Conditional Branch:Script:Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(::PBItems::LABKEY) with the desired effect of unlocking a door that is otherwise locked without a lab key in the key items pocket.
    i have an action button trigger on the door with that script and thats as far as i can get...

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jul 19, 2017
    i have rg maker xp with pokestarter and im trying to work out the scripting for using key items in the field ie using an s.s. ticket in order to get on a boat or a squirt bottle to squirt a Sudowoodo etc can anyone help with a scripting example?

i should explain more i think...i have-
    Conditional Branch:Script:Kernel.pbUseKeyItemInField(::PBItems::LABKEY) with the desired effect of unlocking a door that is otherwise locked without a lab key in the key items pocket.
    i have an action button trigger on the door with that script and thats as far as i can get...

You could name a switch along these lines:

Code:
    s:$PokemonBag.pbQuantity(PBItems::LABKEY)>0

Then put the desired code in an event.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
    Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Where do I edit to change the height and weight entries in the Pokedex to feet and pounds? I was trying to find where the script that writes it is, but I can't find it.
    PokemonPokedex, lines 550 onwards. You'll want to look at the lines there that are commented out, and uncomment them. Comment out the corresponding lines that are currently not commented out instead.

Why you'd use non-metric, though, I don't know...

Is there a thing that pokemon folow you like Heart Gold & Soul Silver ?
    That's what's known as a dependant event. There was some talk about exactly this a couple of pages ago (well done for searching this thread for words like "follow" and "dependant", by the way). Do a search in this thread for words like "follow" and "dependant", and you should find some nice information.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Just in case someone notices this. A new post would've been more noticeable, but that would be double posting.

Is that all? I thought it'd be more complicated, such as assigning a heap of map IDs to different regions or something.

Yes, I'll be editing the pbGetPokedexRegion to use a variable to decide which Region I want to be looking at. This comes as part of a "menu" page that pops up when the Pokédex boots up, with options to look at each Regional Dex. I imagine such a design would work similarly to the Pokégear, so it's mostly a matter of copy/paste.

Speaking of which, though, how are regions defined, anyway? In townmap.txt, where each section corresponds to a region? Makes sense, but then, only towns and other "can Fly to here" places are actually noted in that file, so how can it check which region you're in if you're on a route? (Yes, I won't be using pbGetCurrentRegion here, but I'm curious as to how it works - and for that matter, where pbGetCurrentRegion is in the first place; I can't find it).

Another question, and a bit of an odd one. What's wrong with scarves?

A picture will demonstrate the problem:

I disabled the use of the Pokémon fonts, because I want to use Arial instead. I also don't want to use all caps everywhere, so amongst other things, I edited the item names.

When looking in the Bag, I notice the above. Namely, that any item that contains "Scarf" (with that arrangement of cap and lower case letters) will have its name squashed horizontally. This doesn't happen if I use "SCARF" instead. It also doesn't happen for any of the other items, just the ones with "Scarf" in their name (e.g. "Blue Shard" and "Thick Club" work normally).

So... what's going on here? Why the dislike for scarves?
    I noticed the same thing happening in the "add pokémon" menu of the debug screen, to a couple of pokémon. This lead me to determine that the problem is caused by a lower case "f" at the end of a displayed name (item/pokémon/presumably other things too). The internal names don't contribute to this effect, and the "f" must be lower case and it must be at the end of the displayed name for this bug to appear.

So what's the "f" doing to the name? It should be part of a string, not part of the coding (and indeed it is in the string, because it's still displayed in the name).

Any ideas?

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    Grr, someone please help me.

im trying to make a battle, but i get this error (this ia pasted from error log coz i need to ost 15 times b4 i can put a picture, but there is an attatchment)

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:753:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:292:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Scene_Map:99:in `update'
    Scene_Map:97:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:110:in `update'
    Scene_Map:66:in `main'
    Section089: 15:in `pbLoadTrainer'uninitialized constant PBTrainers::RIVAL
    Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Section089: 8:in `each'
    Section089: 8:in `pbLoadTrainer'
    Section089:220:in `pbTrainerBattle'
    (eval)1 :in `pbExecuteScript'
    Section019:753:in `eval'
    Section019:238:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Section019:753:in `command_111'
    Section019:292:in `execute_command'
    Section019:190:in `update'

Interpreter:249:in `pbExecuteScript'
    Interpreter:753:in `command_111'
    Interpreter:292:in `execute_command'
    Interpreter:190:in `update'
    Interpreter:104:in `loop'
    Interpreter:195:in `update'
    Scene_Map:99:in `update'
    Scene_Map:97:in `loop'
    Scene_Map:110:in `update'
    Scene_Map:66:in `main'

wat can i do to fix this?

oh and for some reason, it says PBTrainers:RIVAL, its not a rival im tryin to battle, i dont have a rival in my game yet... ive only got 2 trainers in trainers.txt, its the same trainer, but i want them to be battled twice, 1 has name + id the other doesnt...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back