• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Archive] Pokemon Essentials: Starter Kit for RPG Maker XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maruno

Lead Dev of Pokémon Essentials
Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Is there any way to divide the pokedex into different regions?
    Or i just want to make a pokedex for my own region..
    for example
    1st pokedex will only comprise pokemon that I made.. 1-100 new pokemons
    2nd pokedex will contrain all of them including original ones and my new ones 1-594(?)

something like that...

plz help me if u could
    You want a Regional Dex. A Regional Dex contains only some Pokémon that are in the National Dex (which contains all Pokémon in the game).

There's a bit of information about it in the wiki (look for "RegionalNumbers"). The wiki doesn't yet have a page devoted to multiple regions, but it's on the list.

Years
    • Seen Jun 29, 2011
    how do you activate pokemon snagging? I know that theres shadow pokemon, but when I tried to catch it the trainer blocked the ball

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    how do you activate pokemon snagging? I know that theres shadow pokemon, but when I tried to catch it the trainer blocked the ball
    One of the properties you can give an item is the "Snag Ball" property. Enemy trainers won't block Snag Balls.

Years
  • I have a problem with sprites. I can't find any sprites that I can add into the RMXP, and change it to my player's sprite. They are all too small. And, they never work for me. This is a big issue with me.

PokemonPlatnum

nomnomnom.
    Years
  • I have a problem with sprites. I can't find any sprites that I can add into the RMXP, and change it to my player's sprite. They are all too small. And, they never work for me. This is a big issue with me.

If I'm correct you would need to double the size of the sprite in an image editing program such as Paint.net etc. Then it should look fine in a playtest :)

Lyzo

Back from vacation
    Years
  • Hey guys, just wondering... What do you guys edit your tilesets in? Cause Photoshop CS4 would work perfectly for me, the problem is, I can only save the tilesets in .PSB format. I've also seen Paint.net, but that laggs, has an inzoom limit, and doesn't have a nice grid... So I was wondering, what is the best program to edit tilesets in?

EDIT: WRONG FORUM 0.o ... Dunno why I posted this here, was meant for somewhere else....

Years
    • Seen Nov 8, 2013
    You want a Regional Dex. A Regional Dex contains only some Pokémon that are in the National Dex (which contains all Pokémon in the game).

There's a bit of information about it in the wiki(look for "RegionalNumbers"). The wiki doesn't yet have a page devoted to multiple regions, but it's on the list.

Thanks for your reply Maruno

I just checked the wiki page

but I still dont get it

do I have to add the regional numbers on the pokemon.txt file?

and what number do I have to put?

I still dont get it,,

Mrchewy

nom nom nom
    Years
  • Lyzo, I use Photoshop CS4 for everything, and I don't have any problems saving as PNG. Have you tried using Save for Web and Devices as opposed to just Save As?

KitsuneKouta

狐 康太
    Years
    • Seen Nov 20, 2017
    I'm sure some of you have noticed the annoying repeated pokemon cry when going up/down when at the first/last pokemon in the summary menu. Has anyone come up with a way to fix it? I've tried a few different things, but it usually just silenced the first and last pokemon altogether at best.

Delusions of Originality

good night, sleep tight
    Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Apr 17, 2024
    I take it I'm on my own with fixing the Battle Factory's swap script; that's fine, as I think I have a bead on how to start tinkering with it and will just have to resume learning RGSS with a little more vigor. (I hope that's all it'll take, anyway.) In the meantime, though, I'm still having a little difficulty understanding how the general Essentials battle engine handles the passing of turns. Since I don't know why the Frontier facilities skip the opponent's turn all the time, I'm hoping that I might be able to use the normal battle system as a guide to fixing it. Worst comes to worst I can sift my way through the relevant changelogs until I find whatever change broke it and revert to that/repair it, but that looks like it could be pretty tedious work and a nudge in the right direction would help. Anyone?

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010
    So, I'm back once again.

I've been heavily editing my intro in order to get what I want at the start of the game. However, with my limited knowledge of scripting so far, I can't figure out what to do in this situation: In the intro, it asks whether you are a boy or a girl. Then, when the picture shows up, it shows the picture I've chosen, but with the sprite stuck in the background behind it. I can't figure out how to get rid of the sprite. It's not scripted anywhere into the intro event.

I can show the event, if you need it, though is there a convenient way to copy and paste it without redoing it by hand?

Years
    • Seen Sep 26, 2016
    Hello, Ive a problem with the starter kit: When I start a battle, the battle music starts in the middle.

Years
    • Seen Dec 29, 2012
    Is it possible to make a Pokemon switch to an alternate form depending on what the terrain tag you're standing on is? For example, swapping all my water Pokemon to look like they are half-submerged when I'm surfing on a tile with the Water tag.

Maybe have it change when a certain switch is turned on instead?

Last edited:

Nickalooose

--------------------
    Years
    • Seen Dec 28, 2023
    question, i wanna make a simple-like, menu, like the pause menu, that sub-titles appear only after a switch or something is activated, but... my problem is, i can use the _INTL thing, but the subheadings always appear, so i looked at the menu script to script my own menu, but strange thing about this is, i have no idea how to call the menu in an event, =S... i use all, the class', to the def's, as the script in the event, but not so much as an error, the game just continues... its quite stupid really, but i have no idea what to edit if it doesn't tell me whats wrong, i can't see the problem... i'm using;

commands[cmdPokedex=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéDEX")
    commands[cmdPokemon=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéMON") if $Trainer.party.length>0
    commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG") if !pbInBugContest?

etc. etc.

just so we don't get confused, this is not a pause menu replacement, this is just a menu, so when you talk to someone, or, something, this "new" menu will pop up to choose options, all i want to do is bring up the menu, i want the event to do everything else, u could say it would be like the "choices option" in the event, but i need about 6 options, and the game only gives you 4... unless there is a way around scripting this...

for this way, i cant get the window to come up or anything. i need help please :(

EDIT:: also, i've been looking at tutorials and learning rgss, but then i realised, Poccil, re-wrote everything, how am i supposed to learn his code, wen it is different to what i am lookin at...?
    does he have a tutorial on how he does things or not?

Last edited:

Vociferocity

[ bad girls do it well ]
    Years
  • So, I'm back once again.

I've been heavily editing my intro in order to get what I want at the start of the game. However, with my limited knowledge of scripting so far, I can't figure out what to do in this situation: In the intro, it asks whether you are a boy or a girl. Then, when the picture shows up, it shows the picture I've chosen, but with the sprite stuck in the background behind it. I can't figure out how to get rid of the sprite. It's not scripted anywhere into the intro event.

I can show the event, if you need it, though is there a convenient way to copy and paste it without redoing it by hand?

A "change transparent flag: transparent" ought to make the sprite vanish. then again, I'm not really sure why the sprite is showing up while the boy/girl picture is showing up. wouldn't you only want to throw in the "pbchangeplayer" command after they've made their choice?

Raikt

Fiction writer.
    Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Jul 19, 2010

A "change transparent flag: transparent" ought to make the sprite vanish. then again, I'm not really sure why the sprite is showing up while the boy/girl picture is showing up. wouldn't you only want to throw in the "pbchangeplayer" command after they've made their choice?

Spoiler:

That's what I have for the choices. I honestly have no idea why the sprites are showing up. (It's the exact same event I used for my last try, barring no dialogue or Professor Oak now.) I can post the rest, if that would, help.

EDIT: Nickaloose: I've found the Notes and Advanced links in the starter kit to help a great deal in figuring out his style.

Last edited:

Maruno

Years
    • Seen May 3, 2024
    Thanks for your reply Maruno

I just checked the wiki page

but I still dont get it

do I have to add the regional numbers on the pokemon.txt file?

and what number do I have to put?

I still dont get it,,
    In pokemon.txt, there is a section for each species. Each section contains a number of lines, each one looking like "Name=Bulbasaur" or "GenderRate=AlwaysMale". it's always of the form "X=Y".

There's a line you can add that looks like "RegionalNumbers=25". The number here will be the Regional Dex number of that species. If this number is 0, then it's not in the Regional Dex. Add this line to all the species that you want in your Regional Dex (i.e. all your fakemon).

The National Dex is all the Pokémon in pokemon.txt, in the order they're listed.

It's possible to switch between the Regional Dex and National Dex at will, although that requires a bit of scripting which I won't explain here (it'll be in the wiki once I get round to writing this up). If there's a Regional Dex set, then that's what will be shows when you access the Pokédex - you can't get access to the National Dex without doing a bit of scripting.

For now, give all your fakemon "RegionalNumbers" entries and make sure it works properly.

Years
    • Seen Sep 7, 2023
    question, i wanna make a simple-like, menu, like the pause menu, that sub-titles appear only after a switch or something is activated, but... my problem is, i can use the _INTL thing, but the subheadings always appear, so i looked at the menu script to script my own menu, but strange thing about this is, i have no idea how to call the menu in an event, =S... i use all, the class', to the def's, as the script in the event, but not so much as an error, the game just continues... its quite stupid really, but i have no idea what to edit if it doesn't tell me whats wrong, i can't see the problem... i'm using;

commands[cmdPokedex=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéDEX")
    commands[cmdPokemon=commands.length]=_INTL("POKéMON") if $Trainer.party.length>0
    commands[cmdBag=commands.length]=_INTL("BAG") if !pbInBugContest?

etc. etc.

just so we don't get confused, this is not a pause menu replacement, this is just a menu, so when you talk to someone, or, something, this "new" menu will pop up to choose options, all i want to do is bring up the menu, i want the event to do everything else, u could say it would be like the "choices option" in the event, but i need about 6 options, and the game only gives you 4... unless there is a way around scripting this...

for this way, i cant get the window to come up or anything. i need help please :(

EDIT:: also, i've been looking at tutorials and learning rgss, but then i realised, Poccil, re-wrote everything, how am i supposed to learn his code, wen it is different to what i am lookin at...?
    does he have a tutorial on how he does things or not?

The _INTL command is only used for formatting and translation. The part which makes it appear if a certain condition is met is
    Code:
    if $Trainer.party.length>0
    This will make the text appear only when the player's party has at least one Pokémon.
    If you want to check switches, refer to the $game_switches global array; for example, to check if switch 5 is on:
    Code:
    if $game_switches[5]

The RGSS is exactly the same in the starter kit; poccil just wrote loads of helper functions which are used often in his code. It's still RGSS, and works the same way.

pkmn.master

Hobbyist Game Developer
    Years
  • When I tried to view my summary screen, I get this error:

Exception: TypeError
    SpriteWindow:1419:in `bitmap='
    SpriteWindow:1419:in `bitmap='
    PokemonSummary:69:in `pbStartScene'
    PokemonSummary:702:in `pbStartScreen'
    PokemonScreen:821:in `pbSummary'
    PokemonScreen:1278:in `pbPokemonScreen'
    PokemonScreen:1187:in `loop'
    PokemonScreen:1431:in `pbPokemonScreen'
    PokemonMenu:155:in `pbStartPokemonMenu'
    PokemonMenu:154:in `pbFadeOutIn'

Additional information:

I upgraded my Pokémon Essentials to a new version and put my modified summary script in. It worked on the previous version. I don't want to downgrade .

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back