• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
    • Seen Dec 17, 2016
    Here's another quick (or maybe not-so-quick!) question:

Has there been any further research done into implementing trainer battles where the player doesn't white out if he loses? The most relevant thread that I can dig up is this one: http://www.pokecommunity.com/showthread.php?t=204875

I know that trainerbattle 0x9 0xXYZ 0x3 @victory @defeat mostly has this functionality, but it has 2 problems:
    1. It has Prof. Oak giving you advice as in the first rival battle.
    2. If the player has more than 1 Pokemon and sends in another Pokemon for another reason (switch or was KO'd), the new Pokemon's backsprite and HP bar are invisible until the player enters and exits the Pokemon or Item menu.

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    I'm trying to insert a tile in my green tileset 1 (pallet 0). The tile only has colors that are in the pallet and I replaced an original FR path tile with it. Now, every time I copy the new tile over the old one in paint and import the bitmap, AM wants me to repoint the whole tileset.
    The tileset is almost completely full, but I don't think that's the reason for the repoint message. I tried inserting the tile in tileset 2 and it still didn't work. Using 1.92.
    So, is the complexity of a tile (much shading etc) relevant for the size or not? Or is there something else I didn't think of?

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
    Years
  • Can i give a certain move the effect to be a hm like i can use the move karate chop and i want to let it use surf that when you want to use surf you need to have a pokemon that knows that move and then if you want to surf that pokemon needs to know karate chop if you guys know what i mean

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    Can i give a certain move the effect to be a hm like i can use the move karate chop and i want to let it use surf that when you want to use surf you need to have a pokemon that knows that move and then if you want to surf that pokemon needs to know karate chop if you guys know what i mean

You can probably just use one of the TM editors and rename Surf to Karate Chop and Karate Chop to Surf?

-

I also have a question, regarding size/space of the roms. Is it possible to increase the space in the GBA roms? If not, why not? Does it have to do something with the emulator, or how the game is created?

Also, does anyone know about how much space of the ROM is taken, and by what? Dont need the actual numbers, but just enough to get a picture.. Like about how much of a ROM (say FireRed) is taken up by the essential runtime stuff, by maps, by Pokemon, by trainers etc.?

Rezordaxx

Asks many questions!
    Years
  • You can probably just use one of the TM editors and rename Surf to Karate Chop and Karate Chop to Surf?

-

I also have a question, regarding size/space of the roms. Is it possible to increase the space in the GBA roms? If not, why not? Does it have to do something with the emulator, or how the game is created?

Also, does anyone know about how much space of the ROM is taken, and by what? Dont need the actual numbers, but just enough to get a picture.. Like about how much of a ROM (say FireRed) is taken up by the essential runtime stuff, by maps, by Pokemon, by trainers etc.?

thankyou
    -
    the standard fire red or ruby rom is 16mb and i heard that fire red has lots and lots of freespace so dont worry but if you want you could download a 32mb extended rom
    just google pokemon fire red 32 mb you will find some stuff i cant give you links to the roms cause i am not allowed.

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    thankyou
    -
    the standard fire red or ruby rom is 16mb and i heard that fire red has lots and lots of freespace so dont worry but if you want you could download a 32mb extended rom
    just google pokemon fire red 32 mb you will find some stuff i cant give you links to the roms cause i am not allowed.

oww, awesome! So merging in every region so far into one game is doable, just timeconsuming :D

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
  • So I've decided I want to add the Fairy type to my hack. I'm kinda torn between replacing the ??? type or using ASM, but I'm leaning more towards ASM at the moment. I'm kinda new to ASM so does anyone have any tips for incorporating the new type, and more importantly should I bother? Or just stick with replacing ???? I've read a few tutorials so far and I'm still a bit overwhelmed to know where to even start going about this. :p

I should also mention I'm using Fire Red. :)

Last edited:

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • So I've decided I want to add the Fairy type to my hack. I'm kinda torn between replacing the ??? type or using ASM, but I'm leaning more towards ASM at the moment. I'm kinda new to ASM so does anyone have any tips for incorporating the new type, and more importantly should I bother? Or just stick with replacing ???? I've read a few tutorials so far and I'm still a bit overwhelmed to know where to even start going about this. :p

I should also mention I'm using Fire Red. :)

Unless you want Eggs and Curse to be fairies, don't go overwriting the ??? type. Now, ASM takes some time to master, but it is definitely worth it. At first it is super confusing, but eventually you will know it like the back of your hand. Start here: http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14109

thankyou
    -

XSE has a built in ROM extender.

Last edited:

Superjub

Pokémon Aureolin
    Years
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    XSE has a built in ROM extender.

Ah, sweet :) You guys have a tool for everything :D Thanks!

- Regarding asm, I did actually read your thread about this, and all the links provided, and I guess I overall have an extremely basic knowledge (or idea) of how asm is working, but I naturally got some questions about it aswell, if you are able to :P I hope I did not miss out on this from the tutorials, but after all, its heavy stuff!

First, when you open a gba game in a hex editor, you get a bunch of "numbers". I think I understand that all this are most (or all) of the data in the rom, with pointers and pokemon data, trainer data and everything else. But, how is asm connected to this? Is the stuff you write in asm "compiled" or something into the gba and can be viewed in a hex editor as "numbers"? Or is it actually a whole different side of the rom for the asm edit?.. If you get what Im asking. Secondly, after reading about asm in general, as far as I understand, there is a different asm language for about each and every micro processor or something. Do you have any idea if there actually is a guide or "instruction book" of the one used in Pokemon roms (was it arm thumbs? It was a week ago since I looked into this).. I get the feeling that reading up on the wrong asm wont actually help too much, and I have no idea how similar the asm languages are to each other. How did anyone in this community learn this in the first place? Is it just "research" based?

karatekid552

What happens if I push it?....
    Years
  • Ah sweet! I did not know that if extended do i need to do my hacking al again on the rom? Or is it going to stay like it is but the data just gets extended?

You should extend your rom, only if you absolutely have to. To put this in perspective, Liquid Crystal is non-extened and has 2.5 regions. I expanded my rom because I have megabytes worth of graphics going into my hack. Do it only if you have to.

Now, it depends. I had issues extending my already hacked rom, but idk why. Make a back up and give it a try. See if it breaks anything.

Ah, sweet :) You guys have a tool for everything :D Thanks!

- Regarding asm, I did actually read your thread about this, and all the links provided, and I guess I overall have an extremely basic knowledge (or idea) of how asm is working, but I naturally got some questions about it aswell, if you are able to :P I hope I did not miss out on this from the tutorials, but after all, its heavy stuff!

First, when you open a gba game in a hex editor, you get a bunch of "numbers". I think I understand that all this are most (or all) of the data in the rom, with pointers and pokemon data, trainer data and everything else. But, how is asm connected to this? Is the stuff you write in asm "compiled" or something into the gba and can be viewed in a hex editor as "numbers"? Or is it actually a whole different side of the rom for the asm edit?.. If you get what Im asking. Secondly, after reading about asm in general, as far as I understand, there is a different asm language for about each and every micro processor or something. Do you have any idea if there actually is a guide or "instruction book" of the one used in Pokemon roms (was it arm thumbs? It was a week ago since I looked into this).. I get the feeling that reading up on the wrong asm wont actually help too much, and I have no idea how similar the asm languages are to each other. How did anyone in this community learn this in the first place? Is it just "research" based?

The ASM we use is ARM v7 THUMB. Now, if you actually really read the links, perhaps the very first one, you would know how to compile ASM into binary (hex). The entire rom is assembly, that is how the pointers work. (Actually it is C compiled into ARM Assembly, but whatever.) The instruction set can be found in my Dropbox, (C) ARM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pq34x0jrni4uqt/THUMB Reference.pdf (I have it there because it isn't the easiest of things to find.)

Now, to simply the compiling process, I actually wrote a very basic IDE for assembly: no more command line like in HackMew's tutorial. However, it is still in Beta and may or may not be buggy, so I would learn how to use HackMew's batch file also. (I literally translated the batch file into Python for the compiling aspect of my program.) The link for my tool is here: http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14514-THUMB-Editor-Assembler

Now, to view the Assembly in the ROM, you need a disassembler. I use No$GBA Debugger (support the dev and buy it cheap. It was discontinued due to pirating.) However a lot of the other hackers use VBA-SDL-H, which is a command line debugger and pretty powerful tool. HackMew's tutorial covers how to use it.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    The ASM we use is ARM v7 THUMB. Now, if you actually really read the links, perhaps the very first one, you would know how to compile ASM into binary (hex). The entire rom is assembly, that is how the pointers work. (Actually it is C compiled into ARM Assembly, but whatever.) The instruction set can be found in my Dropbox, (C) ARM: https://www.dropbox.com/s/5pq34x0jrni4uqt/THUMB Reference.pdf (I have it there because it isn't the easiest of things to find.)

Now, to simply the compiling process, I actually wrote a very basic IDE for assembly: no more command line like in HackMew's tutorial. However, it is still in Beta and may or may not be buggy, so I would learn how to use HackMew's batch file also. (I literally translated the batch file into Python for the compiling aspect of my program.) The link for my tool is here: http://www.pokemonhackersonline.com/showthread.php?t=14514-THUMB-Editor-Assembler

Now, to view the Assembly in the ROM, you need a disassembler. I use No$GBA Debugger (support the dev and buy it cheap. It was discontinued due to pirating.) However a lot of the other hackers use VBA-SDL-H, which is a command line debugger and pretty powerful tool. HackMew's tutorial covers how to use it.

Ow, okay so I missed out on that one - sorry :< .. Specially in the beginning, there are a lot of stuff that makes less sense, and even some simple explanations turns confusing because of the overall info. Im gonna read through everything one more time, and catch up to what I missed.

And thanks, as always, for replies :]

Last edited:
    Years
  • Hello, I tried using one of the 25 unused Pokémon slots, but during battle those Pokémon's sprite appear black, does anyone know if there is a way to "fix" that? is their some sort of a limiter that causes that?
    (Pokémon Fire Red)

Jambo51

Glory To Arstotzka
    Years
    • Seen Jan 28, 2018
    oww, awesome! So merging in every region so far into one game is doable, just timeconsuming :D

No, it's not, at least not without a HUGE, HUGE engine rewrite. The entire engine relies on the length of a map name location only being a byte long, to extend it, you'd be talking about changing (at least) the following structures:

Map Headers
    World Map Data
    Pokémon Structures

The issue with this was never space, it's the sheer amount of work and research that would need to be done to achieve it!

Teh Blazer

Divider of Zero
    Years
  • Is there a thread or lead out there that can show me how to expand the amount of TM's in a Fire Red ROM and make it so they won't break after one use?

Years
    • Age 34
    • Seen Nov 30, 2013
    Hey guys! First post here, and just have a small question. Can you suggest some ROM-hacks to me that contain fakemon? The fakemon should be well designed and at least 100 pokemon in the hack should be fakemon. Also it would be best if the story was a new one and maybe a new region with advanced graphics. You know about any ROMs that fit that criteria? Thanks, skibb out! ;)

Years
    • Age 33
    • Seen Sep 12, 2015
    No, it's not, at least not without a HUGE, HUGE engine rewrite. The entire engine relies on the length of a map name location only being a byte long, to extend it, you'd be talking about changing (at least) the following structures:

Map Headers
    World Map Data
    Pokémon Structures

The issue with this was never space, it's the sheer amount of work and research that would need to be done to achieve it!

Im sorry, I didnt really get that..? My idea for a hack would be to either recreate all the regions I want within the same world map, just sort of "shrink" down the length of routes shown in there, thus making room for the 3 regions (up to R/S/E) and maybe add a fourth with some of my own stuff in the last quarter of the world map.. - Or option 2 to make a single world map to every region I add. Although, with all this said, I have tried to find info a while ago on how to connect the overworld maps to the world map, without much results (most tutorials about mapping are how to decorate with Advance Map or how to edit the World Map picture, not how to connect the two. One tutorial said, however, that this could be done in Advanced-Map, but this button is grayed out for me). When I look at the overworld map from the games, I can see they are pretty spot-on on the world map paths. Do you mean that every route needs to be a certain size (x,y) to be able to fit in the world map? It wouldnt be possible to make two routes with the same length on the world map have different length in "reality" ingame?

Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 29, 2021
    I'm trying to insert a tile in my green tileset 1 (pallet 0). The tile only has colors that are in the pallet and I replaced an original FR path tile with it. Now, every time I copy the new tile over the old one in paint and import the bitmap, AM wants me to repoint the whole tileset.
    The tileset is almost completely full, but I don't think that's the reason for the repoint message. I tried inserting the tile in tileset 2 and it still didn't work. Using 1.92.
    So, is the complexity of a tile (much shading etc) relevant for the size or not? Or is there something else I didn't think of?

Does anyone know a solution for this? I found out that my rom can't be the reason for this, inserting the tileset in a regular FR rom didn't work either...

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Back