• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[ARCHIVE] Simple Questions (SEARCH BEFORE ASKING A QUESTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2012
Hey Guys.
I'm a semi-new ROM hacker, and am hitting a few snags on my hacking of Pkmn Gold
I am using Windhex and Goldmap 1.6

How would i repoint the whole gym leader to run a custom script. There is no free space around the Gym leader text, so currently I am unable to add more characters than originally there. What I want to be able to do is to have him run a script like a normal person. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Also, why is it that when i edit maps in Goldmap, random tiles will appear that i did not put in. I think it has something to do with events, but im not sure, and would like to remove these "stray" tiles if possible.

Thanks,
Zarakava

Years
Sorry.... another question.

I have searched for an answer for this both on the forum search and on google, I haven't had any luck (I've seen lots of the same question but no answers).

I need to know how to edit a pokemon's cry so that all my fakemon in the game don't all sound like unown. I'm not too fussed if they have some other pokemon's cry - if creating an original one is not feasable - as long as they don't sound quite as monotonous.

Through searching I noticed people who asked were directed to pokecry, but now that I have it I have no clue how to use it, and again, there doesn't seem to be anything in the searches that help.

I would be very appreciative if anyone could tell me how its done.

Years
  • Age 33
  • Seen Jan 18, 2021
zarakava said:
Hey Guys.
I'm a semi-new ROM hacker, and am hitting a few snags on my hacking of Pkmn Gold
I am using Windhex and Goldmap 1.6

How would i repoint the whole gym leader to run a custom script. There is no free space around the Gym leader text, so currently I am unable to add more characters than originally there. What I want to be able to do is to have him run a script like a normal person. Is this possible, and if so, how?

Also, why is it that when i edit maps in Goldmap, random tiles will appear that i did not put in. I think it has something to do with events, but im not sure, and would like to remove these "stray" tiles if possible.

Thanks,
Zarakava

1. Find the pointers of the old script, then in the bank there should be some space with [00] codes, add the new pointers replacing the old one to that blank space, then type in your script.

2. You can possibly remove those by repointing the tileset, but some might not be removes, such as the ones in your room (possibly needs to be removed in hex). You can always work around it by expanding the map or changing the starting location of the trainer.

Amoeba said:

I have searched for an answer for this both on the forum search and on google, I haven't had any luck (I've seen lots of the same question but no answers).

I need to know how to edit a pokemon's cry so that all my fakemon in the game don't all sound like unown. I'm not too fussed if they have some other pokemon's cry - if creating an original one is not feasable - as long as they don't sound quite as monotonous.

Through searching I noticed people who asked were directed to pokecry, but now that I have it I have no clue how to use it, and again, there doesn't seem to be anything in the searches that help.

Maybe find the byte of the Pokemon in hex, do a search. The change the byte to the byte you want it to sound like. Could be difficult to find though but worth it.

Years
Maybe find the byte of the Pokemon in hex, do a search. The change the byte to the byte you want it to sound like. Could be difficult to find though but worth it.

I did do a search but as I said I couldn't find the answer anywhere, not on here and not on the internet either.

I take it there's a reference somewhere that will be able to tell me what the byte is for each pokemon and its cry (I'll have a look after college)? And I take it I then replace the byte for my fakemon's current cry with the one of the cry of... the pokemon... I want... to use...? O_o I'm a bit confused... but I'll give it a try... I just want to make sure I've got the instructions right before I go try it.

EDIT: I can't seem to figure out how to find the bytes of pokemon and their cries. I'm not exactly sure what I'm supposed to be doing really...

Last edited:

Kawaru

Classic Version Fan
Years
  • Seen Mar 24, 2009
Less of a question and more of an open debate XD

I'm not a noob to hacking, I know its limits, but with how far we've gotten, hacking so far into R/S/E/FR/LG, do you think it will EVER be possible to add more of whats already there? Further pokemon? Further types? I don't really know the coding behind it so...

Years
  • Age 23
  • Seen Apr 1, 2024
im not very sure if this question has been asked, but how do u change a starter pokemon (i no, easy answer, but i honestly have no clue) plzzzzzzz reply

Years
Less of a question and more of an open debate XD

I'm not a noob to hacking, I know its limits, but with how far we've gotten, hacking so far into R/S/E/FR/LG, do you think it will EVER be possible to add more of whats already there? Further pokemon? Further types? I don't really know the coding behind it so...

I'd assume so. All these ideas are just theoretical and may not work.
Adding types, shouldn't be too difficult. It should just be a simple repointing job. Getting the Type Strength/Weakness table and repointing it to empty space and adding some extra types at the end. I can do it in Red/Blue roms, I might try and do it in Fire Red. :\
Adding Pokemon, may be a little harder. I'd assume you'd have to repoint a lot of things, like the evolutions, the stats, the pokedex data and maybe some other things. Quite a lot more than adding types. I don't think anyone's done it yet, and I assume you meant with the question adding Pokemon and not just using the ?? pokemon. I don't know if I'll be trying this one. I don't think I could be bothered. :P

Andinator said:
im not very sure if this question has been asked, but how do u change a starter pokemon (i no, easy answer, but i honestly have no clue) plzzzzzzz reply
You should really look around first. Go look here. Hackmew's Tools Factory. Download A-Starter.

Years

Blazichu gave me a possible solution to carry this out but I was unable to figure out how to do it. Quote by Blazichu:

So... as much as I appreciate the advice I had no clue how to do it and wasn't able to find the required tutorials or help to do so. Is anyone able to elaborate on it, or offer alternative advice?

Thanks.

DrakO

<3 PT Lover
Years
I have two questions...

1. How can I change my Emerald ROM palette? I want to put D/P sprites in my Emerald ROM

2. Where can I get those mini-trainer sprites?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Nov 9, 2021
I have two questions...

1. How can I change my Emerald ROM palette? I want to put D/P sprites in my Emerald ROM

2. Where can I get those mini-trainer sprites?

1. You need to download Advanced Pallete Editor
2. I think WAH has some

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2023
I have hex editor, the ROM, advance map and text… All I'm looking for is a program, presumably what you guys keep referring to as "script editor", where i can take my Fire_Red.gba file, open it, and look at the code directly.

I realize now that this is basic basic knowledge, so basic that I haven't found it answered anywhere. It's just assumed that we know it. But I don't…

So simply: what is the program called, where you take the .gba ROM, and see the script directly. Is there one? Or is Hex Workshop the only option.

PS: Sorry Mods, now I understand how the new-topic system works.

Binary

え?
Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 7, 2014
I have hex editor, the ROM, advance map and text… All I'm looking for is a program, presumably what you guys keep referring to as "script editor", where i can take my Fire_Red.gba file, open it, and look at the code directly.

I realize now that this is basic basic knowledge, so basic that I haven't found it answered anywhere. It's just assumed that we know it. But I don't…

So simply: what is the program called, where you take the .gba ROM, and see the script directly. Is there one? Or is Hex Workshop the only option.

PS: Sorry Mods, now I understand how the new-topic system works.

I think that there are some script editors around.
I don't know exactly what you mean, but I think you should have a look at the toolbox

rusticolus

Grass/Flying
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Jun 19, 2023
I guess what I mean is…

Is there a tool (and if there is, please tell me the simple steps to take to do this…), where all I do is say File -> Open… select my rom.gba… and bam, there's the code? Full of letters and words, as opposed to a sea of hexadecimal…

I downloaded PokeScript. It didn't recognize my fire red rom. I'm too technologically illiterate to know what to do next.

Once I'm looking at code, I'm good to go… I just don't know how to get from:
1) Having an assortment of roms and tools and programs…
to…
2) Actually looking at code (that isn't hex… because Hex Workshop is the only thing that's worked for me)

EDIT: and heh… quite fairly, everyone assumes no one is stupid enough to need this question answered, so it seems to be NEVER mentioned in the tutorials. Unfortunately, I am indeed that stupid when it comes to computers.

EDIT 2: I have looked at the toolbox. It'll work wonders for me as soon as I figure this preliminary crap out. =P

Years
  • Seen Mar 4, 2012
Just a quickie.

For Mapping In Gold Version, which would work better

Goldmap or Megamap.

Thanks

Years
  • Seen May 9, 2008
I have seen some pokemon hacks being sold on ebay, with these perfect looking cartridges and boxes and even the booklet, and i was wondering, how do they do this? how can you copy a rom onto a cartridge like this? or do they just patch the game that's already on the cartridge?

IIMarckus

J946@5488AA97464
Years
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Just a quickie.

For Mapping In Gold Version, which would work better

Goldmap or Megamap.

Thanks
Probably MegaMap, but you should try out both to see which one better suits your needs.
I have seen some pokemon hacks being sold on ebay, with these perfect looking cartridges and boxes and even the booklet, and i was wondering, how do they do this? how can you copy a rom onto a cartridge like this? or do they just patch the game that's already on the cartridge?
Generally bootleggers manufacture their own game cartridges, and burn the ROM onto an EPROM or EEPROM chip affixed to the circuit board. It's impossible (well, mostly) to apply a patch to an existing Nintendo cartridge, because they aren't rewritable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back