• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are there EVIL pokémon?

Zeffy

g'day
Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I love how everybody instantly agrees with each other, but I disagree:

Almost every pokemon is inherently evil,violent, and spiteful little creatures (with a few inconsistencies here and there). It takes a good owner (not necessarily a trainer) or caring wild parent to change their malevolent ways.

I also believe that some pokemon do not have consciences, and care simply to live rather than care about what is morally correct.

So basically, you're also implying that animals (which we all know is the basis of Pokémon behaviour in the wild) are also inherently evil, violent and spiteful creatures? Would you care to elaborate on that? Because as far as I know, animal behaviour, and to an extent Pokémon behaviour as well, is based on their instinct; and as implied by your post, you are saying that an animal's instinct (which encompasses conscience) is evil?

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
    Years
  • Pokemon don't do things just to spite. They are based on animals and while most are above animal intellect they still fall under the pretense of animal behavior. Everything they do is to generally survive. Nothing is ever intended purely to harm.

A rattata ruining your home and eating your food would be the same as a mouse living in your house.

Are you a rattata? How are you so sure that said rattata is not coming in, ruining your home, and eating your food completely on purpose? Like you said yourself, they are based on animals yet have far more intellect.

So basically, you're also implying that animals (which we all know is the basis of Pokémon behaviour in the wild) are also inherently evil, violent and spiteful creatures? Would you care to elaborate on that? Because as far as I know, animal behaviour, and to an extent Pokémon behaviour as well, is based on their instinct; and as implied by your post, you are saying that an animal's instinct (which encompasses conscience) is evil?

First off, not all pokemon are based on animals.
    Second off, yes. It can be reasonably inferred that animals are evil as well.

Years
    • they/them
    • Seen Apr 19, 2024
    Are you a rattata? How are you so sure that said rattata is not coming in, ruining your home, and eating your food completely on purpose? Like you said yourself, they are based on animals yet have far more intellect.

This all depends on how you define "evil". If it is as Cassino says, a moral compass for humans, then pokémon as well as animals can be viewed from our perspective and we may say that they are evil when they try to eat us or when a bird steals our precious shiny things.

But I think most here try to say that evil is something that sits in the core of a being and makes it want to do malicious stuff for no particular background reason. Such as an antagonist in a story for children. An evil witch that dies at the end, or a bully that get what he deserves with no explanation for his behavior being given within the frames of the story. I think it's safe to assume that no such evil probably exists in humans nor animals, really. It's something we have made up for use in stories. There is always a reason for someone to behave in an evil way.

Thus, the best way to think of it is probably as a balance with our human moral as a reference. If you do something that is seen as immoral to us, you are evil. Such as a rattata ruining your home when we can't see the reason behind it (following the trail of thought above, there is probably a reason that caused the rattata to act) - then we call it evil.

I don't even know if this is consistent with my previous reply lol but it sounded really smart when I wrote it now.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024

I was pertaining to their behaviour in the wild. They act using what their instincts tell them to do. If you so think that a wild Pokémon's instinct is "evil" then you're using the wrong context. While, yes, not all Pokémon are based on animals but their behaviour in the wild (predator and prey is very obvious in the poke-wild) are more or less based from animals, except for those Pokémon who surpasses their animalistic instinct and has gained their own form of consciousness, like most legendary Pokémon.

You must be joking, aren't you? That second sentence made me chuckle, truth be told. No offense.

Years
    • Seen May 15, 2023

They are not all based, but they are all treated as such. The creators have said there are no "evil" Pokemon. It doesn't get much more obvious than that.

As for "Evil" Its a HUMAN concept only that does not apply to non-human or humanistic things. Pokemon aren't considered human or humanistic. Even the "Human-shaped" Pokemon are animalistic by creation.

They are based as animal replacements. Treated ONLY as animals. Our concepts do not apply to them.

Powerserge

The Imminent Victor
    Years
  • Wow, so many of you in this thread are being completely unimaginative. This is about personal views on whether or not Pokemon can be evil, not about the powers that be's views. I for one think it's great that some people aren't sticking to that whole "all Pokemon are good" junk. I think that the dark type, just as the OP said, really contradicts all that do-good mentality. I think that Pokemon, even though they may be animal-replacements, are far more intelligent than our real-world animals. They possess intellect that allows them to gain pleasure from acts that may harm or deprive others, which is my idea of evil. And I've seen plenty of Pokemon that seem to do just that.

Years
    • Seen Jun 1, 2020
    Isn't Spiritomb like 1000 evil spirits? I'm pretty sure it says something like that in the Pokedex. Otherwise, I think Pokemon just follow whatever their trainers say.

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    They possess intellect that allows them to gain pleasure from acts that may harm or deprive others, which is my idea of evil. And I've seen plenty of Pokemon that seem to do just that.

Sounds awfully similar to sadism. That's an entirely different context from evil tbh

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
    Years
  • They are not all based, but they are all treated as such. The creators have said there are no "evil" Pokemon. It doesn't get much more obvious than that.

As for "Evil" Its a HUMAN concept only that does not apply to non-human or humanistic things. Pokemon aren't considered human or humanistic. Even the "Human-shaped" Pokemon are animalistic by creation.

They are based as animal replacements. Treated ONLY as animals. Our concepts do not apply to them.
    First off, human concepts can apply to anything. Demons are not human, but they are considered evil.

Second off, I'd like to see the quote that says that there are no "evil" Pokemon. Cuz I can name a few, I.E. Banette, Spiritomb, and Team Rocket's Meowth

You must be joking, aren't you? That second sentence made me chuckle, truth be told. No offense.

I have been attacked by many vicious squirrels. Animals are evil, deal with it.

Last edited:
    Years
  • I think Pokemon, like humans in a way, are not born evil, but learn or are taught to be evil. Whether this is through a trainer, experiences with other Pokemon or hardships in nature, they learn to be evil. There is good and bad in everyone and everything, and no one creature is simply good or simply evil. It's not black and white, there is a lot of grey.

PlatinumDude

Nyeh?
    Years
  • There aren't evil Pokémon per se. They do bad things because their Trainers tell them to. Spiritomb and Team Rocket's Meowth, however, are exceptions.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • There aren't evil Pokémon per se. They do bad things because their Trainers tell them to. Spiritomb and Team Rocket's Meowth, however, are exceptions.

Then what about wild Pokemon that are riddled with negative intentions despite not having a trainer? Spiritomb, I'm sure, is not the only one that acts on a whim, and Team Rocket's Meowth is still influenced by Team Rocket regardless of his mental state.

Years
  • Then what about wild Pokemon that are riddled with negative intentions despite not having a trainer? Spiritomb, I'm sure, is not the only one that acts on a whim, and Team Rocket's Meowth is still influenced by Team Rocket regardless of his mental state.

Sorry for butting in, but I'm really interested in this discussion.

Maybe those wild Pokemon had negative experiences with trainers, or other Pokemon? They could have been beaten one too many times by trainers or a Pokemon. I'm sure kids that are bullied and do something drastic did not intend to do that. They were molded into a different person because of people's actions towards them. Maybe it's the same for some Pokemon.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • Sorry for butting in, but I'm really interested in this discussion.

Maybe those wild Pokemon had negative experiences with trainers, or other Pokemon? They could have been beaten one too many times by trainers or a Pokemon. I'm sure kids that are bullied and do something drastic did not intend to do that. They were molded into a different person because of people's actions towards them. Maybe it's the same for some Pokemon.

But are we really going to assume that hundreds upon thousands of Pokemon that act this way were all mistreated by trainers or have a history with trainers in the first place? I just don't think it's fair to say that all Pokemon are good and they are only tainted by 'evil' trainers. That doesn't make sense to me because assuming and generalizing Pokemon as a species is wrong. It's like saying all babies are inherently angels or devils until 'tainted' (either positively or negatively) by their parents or other people.

Sorry, I just can't agree. xD

Years
  • But are we really going to assume that hundreds upon thousands of Pokemon that act this way were all mistreated by trainers or have a history with trainers in the first place? I just don't think it's fair to say that all Pokemon are good and they are only tainted by 'evil' trainers. That doesn't make sense to me because assuming and generalizing Pokemon as a species is wrong. It's like saying all babies are inherently angels or devils until 'tainted' (either positively or negatively) by their parents or other people.

Sorry, I just can't agree. xD

You make a good point. There are Pokemon that just have negative intentions. And never apologize for not agreeing with someone, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. :happy:

Mr Cat Dog

Frasier says it best
    Years
  • I can't imagine that all that genetic cloning and stuff has made Mewtwo into a warm, fuzzy ball of fun. Especially if the first movie's portrayal of it is anywhere near accurate.

antemortem

rest after tomorrow
    Years
  • I can't imagine that all that genetic cloning and stuff has made Mewtwo into a warm, fuzzy ball of fun. Especially if the first movie's portrayal of it is anywhere near accurate.

Then again, who's to say that Mewtwo wouldn't have ended up that way anyway? :o

TweenyTodd

Quitting cuz i got a job
    Years
  • I can't imagine that all that genetic cloning and stuff has made Mewtwo into a warm, fuzzy ball of fun.
    Ya sure about that?
    Actually, Mewtwo is not an evil pokemon, as seen in the Johto movie "Mewtwo Returns." It goes to show that he sacrifices himself for his pokemon. EXAMPLE NULLIFIED

Zeffy

g'day
    Years
    • Seen Feb 7, 2024
    I have been attacked by many vicious squirrels. Animals are evil, deal with it.
    I can't just "deal with it" if you assume that animals are evil because you were attacked by "vicious squirrels." They are wild animals to begin with. Most wild animals presume that anyone or anything that steps into their territory are trespassers and/or predators. You can't call them evil for acting based on what their instinct tells them to do.

But are we really going to assume that hundreds upon thousands of Pokemon that act this way were all mistreated by trainers or have a history with trainers in the first place?
    That's just it. It's not only trainers who mistreat Pokémon. Shouldn't we consider the life in the wild, too? Negative upbringing, predation, acting upon what their instinct tells them to do, those kind of stuff? It's wrong to assume that only humans can harm Pokémon to the point when they decide to do malicious acts when there are a lot more Pokémon species than there are humans.

I still stand by my earlier statement that there is no such thing as inherently evil, Pokémon world or not. Spiritomb and Team Rocket's Meowth are no exception. Something must have caused them to act that way. Meowth's jealousy of Giovanni's Persian is very strong cause of why he has this thirst to prove himself to him.

Years
    • Seen Dec 2, 2013
    Pokemon are like animals (obviously ) there are no "evil" Pokemon, animals can be hostile, mischievous, sly, territorial ect so just put those characteristics with Pokemon.

Back