• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are We NeRDS?

Deoxys55

Deoxys Collector
    Years
    A complete definition of nerd, straight from the dictionary:

Nerd n [[? rhyming slang for TURD]] [slang] a person regaurded as socially dull, unsophisticated, awkward, etc., sprcif., as from being preoccupied with schoolwork, an intellectual hobby, etc.

FullMetalPipsqueak

What Goes Here?
    Years
    • Seen Apr 14, 2011
    Well we are the real Pokemon Fans. The fad has left and the real fans remain. I have been a pokemon fan from the very beginning. Nick you are right. If i admitted that then I would go to social Sieria!

PikaPal

Ghost Type Master
    Years
    DarkCharizard said:
    At my school Pokemon is gay of course im not
    Thats why I have to keep my love for pokemon a secret

Do you experience this too? :paranoid:
    I think lots of people have this. I know I do, but I don't conceal my love for pokemon. Heck, I dressed up as Ash for halloween! Every one was laughing, but I didn't care. I still like it and thats all that matters.

Years
    PikaPal said:
    I think lots of people have this. I know I do, but I don't conceal my love for pokemon. Heck, I dressed up as Ash for halloween! Every one was laughing, but I didn't care. I still like it and thats all that matters.
    I wish everyone had that attitude, man. But it is true. If you like pokemon, no one will like you.

Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jul 19, 2008
    I haven't experienced the total feeling of being left out from the crowd by saying I like Pokemon like a sibling. o_o; I'm in first year high and I tell almost everyone about my liking for Pokemon. >.> Though, people can be annoying at times...

Kylie-chan

[span="background:#000; padding: 2px 10px;"][color
    Years
    I told a few anime fans and a former Pokemon fan... Was utterly outcasted. Fortunately they were BOYS and meant nuttin'...

Other than that, I haven't told many.

I want people to see me just as feminine as them, though I hate clothes shopping, etc.

Stereotypists.

peekachoo

~*wah piang eh*~
    Years
    tis true that ppl think that pokemon is nerdy and such...
    but they arent real fans and , heck, they dont really care much about it do they?
    if my friends go asking what my real hobby is and i go around saying how much i want pokemon to be real....i'll probably be a laughing stock for the rest of my life!:dead: though i have'nt tried that and i probably never will...
    so, just dont blame me for anything. :)

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    They call us nerds because they are immature!

All the teachers know that I like Pokemon, they don't call me nerd.

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    For the most part, it seems that those who are getting picked on are in (Jr)High School. You have to remember, that for the most part during those years everybody's trying to find their identity in a way, and people are quick to join a clique (unintentional rhyme, there ^_^) just to feel accepted or popular. If popularity says Pokemon isn't cool or what have you, the followers are sure to say the same (practically in vain, as it doesn't actually make them any more popular).

From my experience, once you get to college it's a whole lot easier. People are matured, and if you're playing Pokemon/talk about it, no one really cares. Maybe that's just me, though.

GOD.

life is great
    Years
    • Seen Jan 4, 2005
    From my experience, once you get to college it's a whole lot easier. People are matured, and if you're playing Pokemon/talk about it, no one really cares. Maybe that's just me, though.

that is exactly what i said, people don't really care if i say i like it but if i was younger i feel i would be moshed

DarkTerror

COCKROACH
    Years
    I like computer programming, but that's just what I'm interested in. Studying doesn't make you a nerd, it actually proves that you're smart because you think about your future, or else you'll end up having a crappy job and life. The last time I was really interested in Pokemon was 4 years ago or something. I'm not really addicted to it these days, I just count it as one of the good games I played. I've got a lot of friends in real life, and I don't wear glasses. I don't consider myself a nerd to the slightest.

About your question though, I never talk about it or give it any of my time anyway unless I'm really bored and have got nothing better to do =/

jynx

Er.../eh...
    Years
    Kine said:
    For the most part, it seems that those who are getting picked on are in (Jr)High School. You have to remember, that for the most part during those years everybody's trying to find their identity in a way, and people are quick to join a clique (unintentional rhyme, there ^_^) just to feel accepted or popular. If popularity says Pokemon isn't cool or what have you, the followers are sure to say the same (practically in vain, as it doesn't actually make them any more popular).

Agree!
    That's because by then, ppl know how to respect each other's hobbies and interest.
    In other words, more mature.

Thus, only immature ppl call Pokemon Fans nerds.

peekachoo

~*wah piang eh*~
    Years
    jynx said:
    Agree!
    That's because by then, ppl know how to respect each other's hobbies and interest.
    In other words, more mature.

Thus, only immature ppl call Pokemon Fans nerds.

that DOES make alot of sense....
    guess i'll just go along with that for now..:)
    though im not truly convinced...what about parents? mine still tease me about it. sometimes, when they use pokemon against me (like chores), i'll probably lose the fight.:dead:

Kine

Whatev
    Years
    Realize that there's a generation gap (in most cases) between older adults and children. A lot of adults still don't know how to play a video game (yes it's true, I know someone out there doubts me XD), let alone do they understand it. In the case of Pokemon, the ignorance it still intact, but apply it with the general western idea that "Pokemon is for children 3 to 9", then parents probably will question you a bit.

Think about it. How would you think your parents would react if they saw you still playing with a fisher-price barnyard set?

Back