• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are We NeRDS?

Years
  • Meh, I dont think people who like Pokemon are nerds... Its a great RPG. My image of a nerd is some skinny guy with tight pants, messed up hair, bad acne, glasses, bad at sports, and clothes that dont even match =/ But if that person likes pokemon then...

Porygon

Banned
    Years
  • Hey! Neat! Ya described me!

?Except for the tight pants.

Anyway, I personally believe [and to my luck, someone probably posted this exact opinion earlier?] that anything can have its nerds, as there are bound to be people who get so into something they eat, sleep, and breathe it.

?Or is that the definition of a geek? Eh, who cares XD

Jeff

Elekid Rules!
    Years
  • No, the games are highly addictive.

If you watch that anime crap you are a nerd, and if you wear pokemon clothes you are a nerd. I just keep my SP in my jacket pocket and that is that.

See Pokemon is not nerdy, but there are nerds that play it.

I'm not a nerd in any way. I skate, wear baggy clothes, don't have glasses, and I have never been called a nerd before. No offense to any nerdy people, but I just don't like you.

Kelsey

~-*-~-*-~-*-~
    Years
    • Seen Mar 30, 2005
    Please refrain from using the term "gay" like a bad thing, as it may offend someone here. --;;

Anyways, everyone at my school knows I like Pokemon, and if they have a problem with it, then so be it. I like Pokemon because that's just who I am. I am not afraid to say it, and none of us should. For I believe, if you're a true Pokemon lover, then you'll never be afraid to say it loud and proud that you adore Pokemon. ^_~

~Kelsey

Jazzy.

Just a cute silly girl
    Years
  • One of the reasons I hate people is that when they don't really know how a person is like, they try to classify him or her so s/he "fits" into one of the social groups that already exist. Every person is a world. I'm not popular, I'm not a nerd, I'm not a goth, I'm not a Punk... I'm myself, and that will never change, I don't care if others try to classify me (they don't dare anyway n.~), I will always be myself.
    I know this boy in my school, he is one of the most popular guys around, he's really funny, hot and cool. Many girls like him, but guess what? Once he told me that he likes Dragon Ball Z. He has seen almost all the episodes and the majority of the movies. I also know another guy that likes Spongebob, Dragon Ball Z, Knights of the Zodiac and Pokemon. Did I mention he is popular?
    Once my chemistry teacher told a joke about Dragon Ball Z and everybody understood it. My point is... we all see or have seen cartoons. We all like some kind of childish stuff but that doesn't make us nerds or geeks.

Yami86

Speedy Speed Boy!!!
    Years
  • I like pokemon (which is just one of my obsessions) but I don't consider myself as a nerd. Why? Because 'nerd' is just a term created by society, and I don't follow it. Look at it this way: in the 1700s, I bet there was no such thing as a 'nerd'. But now (late 20th-21st century) we always label a person (usually male) with glasses, acne, bad taste of clothes and an obsession for studying a nerd. But that's stereotyping. Calling someone a nerd is just a way for the those who think they are part of the status quo to alienate those who aren't, and it angers me. While I am not proud of it, I have beaten up people in high school who call me a nerd just because I like something they don't. I feel that nerd is a offensive term, and that people who like pokemon (or anything else 'nerd' related) shouldn't take that crap.

From what I've seen, most people here are in the high school age, and are afraid of alienating themselves from everyone else by saying they like pokemon. While I think all people should be proud of what thet like, I kind of understand what they are coming from. I'm in university, and everyone (everyone that does my course, anyway) accepts that I like pokemon and all that 'nerd' related stuff (anime, video games, and the like). Heck, some girls compliment me on being open with what I like (not that I'm complaining, though :)) I'm a fan, and I'm not afraid to show it and to hang out with those that share my interests (ie the campus anime club). So yeah, I don't consider myself a nerd, because it's just a stupid word that has no meaning to me.

Years
  • IMO, people who are nerds are people who spend more than 50% of their week, in front of the comp, and/or playing games, all locked up in a room with no friends...etc...

meh...some of us aren't while it's sad to say that some of us are...

Lonepichu

Happy-Insane dance time
    Years
  • I think it's the way you see yourself. Personally if you think you're a nerd, then you prolly are one

I don't think I am, I'm kinda popular. but then again, what do I know

u.u

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen Oct 15, 2012
    loyal to pokemon (most of the time) ever since blue version! but i have some social influence at my high school, so several people think pokemon's pretty cool now. i'm a nerd, but i've still got class.

FireEmporer

I win. You lose.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 3, 2006
    I'm A Nerd. I'm A Freak. I'm A Dork. I'm Weird. I'm A Geek. I'm Insane (Does Trying To Take Over The World With An Army of Renagade Sporks Make Me Insane... I Thought So...) I'm Ebil. I'm Normal. And I Like Pokemon. If Someone Asks If I Like Pokemon I Answer Yeah. They Laugh. I Laugh too. (My Comma Thingie ish Broke.)

Belreza

A.K.A Foamy...FREAK!!
    Years
  • Ok simple tactic for this my friends. Whenever someone starts giving you hassle for liking a pokemon game just turn round and tell them that you would rather play a game that you can have fun with your friends with then something where you sit all alone in a chair staring at a screen only leaving so you can go to the toilet. Say that and they'll back down cause.....they won't have a reply cause they didn't think that far ahead. Oh and no we are not nerds because we have a opinion or because we like something ^_^

Last edited:

Master T

Ladies Man
    Years
    • Seen Jan 20, 2007
    GOD. said:
    well im 22 years old so people when i say i like pokemon people usually suspect that i work for the company or something, but they really don't care. i am not a nerd, im shizel, liking pokemon don't make you a nerd 0_o its strange though, the younger you are to like a thing for kids is gay but if your older its ok, i always would have guessed it would be the other way round, and cause im black it makes it seem fine cause once you go black you never go back and it seems shizel XD

Well for me only my nerdy or asian friends like pokemon. But they only like the games not the show. I like the show too so they only make fun of me for that. I don't care. In school though kids who are my friends but not nerdy types would probably crack on me for liking pokemon.

I go to a school with lots of black kids and they talk about how pokemon was kool back in the day. But I think they'll make fun of me for liking pokemon. Not that I care but it'll get annoying afterawhile, so its best I dont tell em.

Back