• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

"Are you a boy or a girl?"

Years
    • Seen Mar 31, 2014
    I used to play as only girls when I was a kid, but now I play who I like or fits the story more. If I'm feeling really bored I'll play a file with the opposite character, but my main file is the "true hero". In Kanto, Hoenn, and the first half of Unova I play as the girls while in Johto, Sinnoh, and the second half of Unova I play as the boys. I don't when I'll get X or Y, but I'm playing as the girl after finding out I can finally customize the characters.

Last edited:
    Years
  • Although i'm a guy, I often enjoy playing as the girl. I always have in both Emerald and Platinum, and quite a few times throughout BW and XY. It's especially fun in Gen VI with character customization. Great times there.

Homura Akemi

time is f o r e v e r~
    Years
  • The girls are so adorable in the Pokemon games :p but I play as both. I played as a girl in Emerald and Platinum, as I liked the girl characters in those games. The guy chars in the original games and B/W looked really awesome, so I played as them.

Elements1

Meh
    Years
  • Isn't this like the third thread about this? Or are they all in different sections? Anyway I always picked my gender, male. I don't really feel the need to pick the other gender.

Years
    • Seen Apr 2, 2014
    I almost always pick male even though I'm female myself. I picked being female in X this time though (:

Years
  • I usually pick male because that's what I am. But since I always buy both versions (i.e. since Black/White), I play one for the main story as male, and one as female for fun stuff and Pokédex. Especially in X, because I really envy the girls of their style!

Years
    • Seen Apr 3, 2016
    I picked female when it was an option in the first three gens. Now I always pick male. Just a preference really.

sweets

You can do it! ☆彡
    Years
    • Seen Apr 18, 2014
    I always play a girl because well... I'm a girl, and I think the girl sprites are cuter!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen yesterday
    I think I played as a girl in every version that gave me the option to do so. For Gen III I had Ruby and Sapphire, so I played as a girl first in Sapphire, then boy in Ruby.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Mostly I play as a boy, but I do sometimes mix them a little bit just for

Last edited:

pokemasta92

3rd Gen. Enthusiast
    Years
  • More games have predetermined characters to play as than ones where you can pick your name, gender, looks, etc. so if I ever get the chance to be myself in a video game in some way I take it. This is why I always pick the male character.

Arc

[img]http://i.imgur.com/kieFJln.gif[/img]
    Years
  • At this point, I honestly have no preference. I'll pick whatever gender I feel like for that certain playthrough.

However, for X/Y I vastly prefer the girl over the guy for various of reasons, haha.

Cilicica

Ghost Type Lover ~~
    Years
  • I usually just play as my real life gender, which is a girl. If I had a second copy of a game I'd play that one as a boy just for fun. But I don't have any second copies of any DS game so they're all girls. ^^

Years
  • Girl because I'm female and feel most comfortable playing as my own gender. Sometimes for emulators/challenges I'd choose the boy but that's for playthroughs that aren't serious/ones I don't intend to keep very long.

Years
  • Aside from the one time I chose the female character in Sapphire (mostly for the novelty of having a rival with my own name), I always go with the male character. I don't always prefer the design of the male characters, but it always seems strange to me if I'm not playing as the same gender as myself.

Apollo

怖がらないで
    Years
    • Seen Jul 22, 2017
    I use a boy because that's my own gender, and I'm comfortable playing as one. :d On certain occasions, I will play as a girl sometimes, which is usually when I'm replaying a game or something.

Back