• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

6th Gen Are You a Boy or a Girl?

Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I always pick the girl because I am a girl lol. The only time I found myself choosing the guy a few times was in HG/SS because I hated lyra's sprite so much.

Years
  • For me its depending of the character design but i mostly just choose to play as female.
    But in this case i would choose to play as Brendan because i like his hat.

masterxy

Pokémon Breeder
    Years
  • I'll probably play as May since I've played as male on Pokemon X and I tend to change gender with every game and I like May more then Brendan :)

Years
    • Seen Oct 22, 2023
    I'm most likely going to be choosing May. Am a huge fan of her, and, well... I'm a girl myself, and would like to have that represented, somehow, when I go online, even though gender doesn't play much of role there (or anywhere, to be honest); just a personal preference. If I decide to go for a second run, though, then I'll definitely be picking Brendan. As far as names go, I'll probably be using one of their default ones.

Years
  • As a male, I usually go with the male character in video games, and Pokemon is no different. However, in Hoenn I made a timely exception for one of my favorite people in anime or video games, May. In the anime, she's portrayed as exactly what I would want to be in the Pokemon world, a coordinator, and her personality is so warm and fun, it was hard not to choose her in the games. d: Will probably end up picking her in ORAS.

Years
    • Seen Feb 5, 2021
    well, I played the most of the games as a boy.
    but I think this Brendan design is really passed the line.
    I mean, if they made him a little more normal, he would look much more better...

Misaka

Yokoso
    Years
  • Girl. I always play as a girl. I personally hate playing as male characters.

But even if I wasn't so picky, I would play as May because I really like the way they designed her.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 16, 2024
    Generally, in Pokemon games (actually in most games) I tend to play as my own gender, so I'll most likely be playing as May again. In the original RSE I played as May in Sapphire, then Brendan in Ruby, and I thought they were both pretty cool.

Brendan lost major points when I found out his awesome white hair is actually a hat though. Seriously, what kind of hat is that. :P

White Raven

Working on The Mysterious Meteorite
    Years
    • Age 24
    • Seen Sep 1, 2015
    If we get to change our appearence, I am choosing May. If not, I am crossplaying as Brendan. May looks kinda retarded in the official pictures...

Years
  • Well, I'm a boy and as I usually do, I'll buy the two versions, I'm gonna pick the boy in the game I'll use the most and the girl in the other... I've been doing this since the third gen :D

Years
  • I typically play as the boy, at least during my first play through. I'm getting Sapphire first, so if I get Ruby I think I'll play as a girl.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Seen today
    I almost always play as the female, so I'ma gonna roll with May when I get ORAS. The first time I played Ruby I went with Brendan though.

makes sense to have brendan/may as the options, but can you change their clothes/hair?

We don't know yet if character customization will be in ORAS. I personally really hope they include it, but you never know....

Back