• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a boy or a girl?

NightmareClown

NightmareClown
Years
  • Hhhmmmm....there has been a lot of discussion on the character gender, looks and character overall personality(?). But what really needs answering is if there will be more than one character to choose from for each gender.

So in OM and AS you could choose your hair colour ,girls, at the start. (Not sure about boys tho) but if in Sun and Moon there is different characters altogether to choose from, it's really still a matter of choice... Unless...

Each character has a different rival/friend/whatever then what matters is what path (storyline) looks the most exciting. But in the end these two ideas are pretty far featched and stretch along way from the traditional 'two choices' so it's unlikely that this will happen at all.

But what it really comes down to is your taste in looks, design and Opinion on which one you want.

Years
    • Seen Apr 5, 2016
    Never played as girl, i dont know but it dont fits me :D i couldnt evan have girl pokemon on my silver :D

Years
  • I've been playing as the female character since Gen 3 so I'll continue with that tradition. I usually name my character my Reyes (last name) or Matty (nickname by my mom and old gf). I tend not to change things up much. The player character designs are always the thing I look forward to the most with new pokemon games, even more than seeing the starters. I really hope CoroCoro shows their designs in the upcoming issue. Also really hope they go back to the classic trainer style from Gen 1-3. I like the new style for the females at least, but that tough look they all used to have needs to seriously come back.

Patoto

Ruru rururirarurin
    Years
  • I will probably pick the female as i tend to enjoy their designs more. i am unsure how i will name her though. perhaps Veronica.

Utopian

"Looks like the party is over"
    Years
    • Seen Oct 25, 2023
    Hmm I think i'll wait untill the designs are revealed, and then I will most likely pick the one that's better looking.
    For the second playthrough i'll pick the other gender.

TheOregle

Pokémon Ranger
    Years
  • I personally always play as my own gender, and I like to call the characters 'Oregle' after my online alias, but it does destroy the immersion a bit in certain games when they talk about a legendary trainer that saved the Kanto region from Team Rocket or something. Every protagonist in every region has been called Oregle {XD}

I'm just not creative enough for anything more than that.

AliceBlaze

Shiny Collector
    Years
  • In every game where you pick your gender, I always pick girl because I like to imagine myself as that character. I always end up liking the female character's design better than the male's anyway.

thunderrose

Professional Puyo Popper
    Years
  • Hey, you know what would be great? A gender neutral character!...which probably won't happen. At least not in this generation. I'm pretty sure some fangame (I think it may be Solarlight and Lunardark? Maybe?) has an option for that. So why can't the official games? Anyway, I'm rambling. I usually pick the girl because the design is better lol Except in the case of the Johto based games, I always pick Gold :3
    In short, I'll probably pick the girl (Man, I just wrote a novel lol)

Kacchan

blaze it
    Years
  • I'll probably play as male my first playthrough, and then female on any second playthrough I do, unless the design is awful. If we can build our character, then I might play as female the second time around for sure, just to see their customization options.

8bitn00b

A noob :P
    Years
  • I'm going to play as male in my first playthrough, because I haven't tried yet ;w; (unless the male design is really bad) >_>

Fannie

Don't let my milk go lumpy
    Years
    • Age 32
    • UK
    • Seen Dec 31, 2016
    Female unless this time around the male stands out more. There's better be customisation though -_-

Years
  • I know we're all hoping for customization. But even if the female design seems less impressive than the male (likely doubting it since female designs seem to be very diverse) I will still follow my own gender.

Years
  • i normally play as a female because I am. i hope we can customize our players again but more features and stuff to it would be nice

Years
    • Seen Apr 20, 2016
    girl, because the boys design are since bw mostly generic. I mean, i really like Hilbert, but he look like Red twin, and Nate and Calem look a lot like Hilbert.

I'd like a blond or redhead boy, and with a different hairstyle.

Years
  • So now that we've seen the protagonists, will this change your first pick?

The male protagonist reminds me of Calem, who was only just last generation. The hair is very Calem, to the point it's almost him wearing a new outfit. Male protagonists have been very samey for the past couple of games now so it's disappointing to look at.

The female on the other hand, seems like she's wearing green which is a colour we rarely saw in most protagonist outfits (barring Emerald May/Brendan) and I am getting a lot of OR/AS May influences with her shorts and shoes, with her bandanna looking like it's based on both R/S/E May and Dawn's hats together. The bag seems like a recoloured version of Hilda from B/W. Anyways, I wish we could have gotten closer shots of her in the trailer.

JJ Styles

The Phenomenal Darling
    Years
  • Are you a boy or a girl?

Well... i wonder.. The Guy looks kind off interesting or not interesting depending on how ya'll look at him. The Girl on the other hand. -w- She looks like a real queen. Oh and I'll safely assume they might be as old as the gen 5 and 6 protags (being teenagers) so that's all well and good.

I might continue my trend of playing the Female avatar again even if there might be more promising customization options for both genders.

Back