• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you a boy or a girl?

Years
    I know the protagonist designs haven't been revealed yet, but will you play as a male or a female trainer when you get the games? Do you go with the one that matches your gender, or are you waiting for the designs to be revealed and then choose based on the design you like better?

pkmin3033

The boys have all looked the same for the last three generations. I'll be playing as a girl...called Serena. Because I lack originality and can't stop with the Sailor Moon references. My team will be Sailor Moon themed as well...

blue

gucci
    Years
    As always I'll play as the male for the first run, then if I end up getting the second version I'll choose the female protagonist.

Years
    I plan to stick to tradition and play as the female again. Hopefully we get another cute-looking female protagonist because I know cuteness is the key to their designs.

TCB

Tranquilo.
    Years
    I always picked the boy...except I think when I picked Leaf in Leafgreen.

With that said...the last three designs for him (excluding ORAS) has been so samey I may change. Gotta see what we got to play with.

And if there's customization back in with added features...

Abby

#freecoffee
    Years
    Well I'm hoping character customisation is a thing, I generally dislike most of the designs.
    That being said, I'll be choosing the female character most likely

AlphaTangoFoxtrot

Johto-vah's Witness
    Years
    I'll probably go male. I just really hope they expand on the character customization from X and Y and give us a real taste of creating our own characters. The clothing changes and limited skin tone changes were alright, but I'd like them to give us a few base models that we can kind of build around. If not, at least give us a male character that doesn't look the same as all the other male characters from the series in the past decade.

Sopheria

響け〜 響け!
    Years
    I'm always female :P At least, I always am on my first playthrough. Maybe if I ever decide to do a reset and play through the story again, I'll go with the male, because why not.

Sirenita55

Team Popplio!
    Years
    • Seen Aug 9, 2018
    I prefer to play as the females, I'll most likely be a girl named Luna in Moon XD

Captain Oshawott

The Otter Pirate
    Years
    I'm gonna be that guy and say that I'm playing a male for obvious reasons. Much like Hudsonbay said above, however, I'll likely be naming my character Sol or something Solar related.

'Cause y'know; 'creativity' :P

Edit: Really hoping for Trainer Customization. It's something I feel ORAS lacked, where X/Y excelled. Maybe you can actually choose from a group of pre-designated pallettes in the beginning, instead of three default options. Nothing annoyed me more than having to wait to get to Lumiose City to get those contact lenses, just because the default option I chose didn't have it. Or to change my hair color.

It's also a stretch, but following Pokemon would be a nice thing too.

Dedenne1

[SPAN="FONT-SIZE:16.5PX; FONT-FAMILY: SATISFY; TEX
    Years
    I always do both as i always buy both versions and ill be starting with the usual whoever looks cooler etc.

Arylett Charnoa

No one in particular.
    Years
    • Age 32
    • Seen Jan 5, 2023
    I always find females to be more appealing-looking, and dislike playing as males, so I'll go with female. Also, I like my in-game character to match me as much as possible.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
    Don't know yet. If customization makes a reappearance, which I think it will, I will probably be a boy, just to see what kind of clothing we get this time.

Most likely, I will end up getting both Sun and Moon relatively quickly, so I will probably choose a girl to play as in the second game. I always like have a 2nd game so I can restart it if I want.

I am hoping that the female is like White. I love her design and her personality was awesome in the manga. That being said, I was EXTREMELY disappointed when they decided to break the chain of female protagonists from the games being in the anime.

Sirfetch’d

This is something I won't decide until the protags are revealed haha. Typically I play as the male during the first run but if the female is more appealing to me, I will use her :)

Cay

Years
    • Seen Mar 11, 2022
    It really depends for me. I usually tend to stick to the boys for my first playthrough, but it's now a matter of whose design I like more, and if I'm basing the protagonist on a character. Can't wait to see the designs, though.

Snoopyfish

10% Dog - 90% Fish
    Years
    • Seen Mar 9, 2016
    I'll likely pick female, since I usually prefer their designs more.
    I sure hope that character customization is still a thing.

Years
    I always go with male. I like to imagine the character basically being me in pretty much everything I play. I liked X an Y with this, because I was able to make the character actually look somewhat like myself. I would like them to bring that feature back, so I can do it again.

Back