• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Legends: Arceus] Are you buying the game

edfrick

Pilot of EVA-00
Years
    • Age 22
    • they/them
    • Seen Feb 17, 2024
    I'm a bit skeptical, I think I read somewhere that the game isn't even a true open world game, you just travel between different big hubs that aren't actually connected (not a great explanation I apologize) which is an immediate a red flag in my eyes, hoping I'll change my mind but idk

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen today
    I don't know anywhere near enough to decide, and frankly given Nintendo/TPCi's proclivities when trailing a new Pokemon game I will probably continue to not know anywhere near enough to decide until the game comes out is leaked. New Pokemon are neat to know about, but I need mechanical detail to find out if the game is worth my time or if it's yet another trash spinoff like the Let's Go games. Stuff like:

• We know what stats a Drifblim can have at level 32 and they can't go that high - what's up with that? What are those numbers on the right side of the summary about? What's the little icon of a scroll mean?
    • Can someone who speaks English and actually interacts with the people who play these games explain what that message to Kotaku was supposed to communicate? What kind of open world is this game supposed to have? Can we explore the world outside the context of a mission?

Years
  • yes, i pre-ordered it. I mean, let's keep our hopes down. it's still a game freak game lol, but tbh it convinced me. trailers looked pretty nice and so far it looks like a good game. its technical part is and will probably be quite lacking, but it's some sort of different game in the pokemon series so i m really excited for it. New fighting mechanics, new regional forms, older Hisui, a plot where Arceus is actually involved. I like the project and despite everything, i think it could still be a great experience. then, this obviously depends from person to person, but if u know the brand well, you know this game is trying to be quite "revolutionary"
    About the open world stuff: what i understood was that this game is more like monster hunter. it's divided in different areas (that u can actually see in the trailers too) and u explore one area but then u have to go back to the camp base to report what u have done. So, areas are not connected between them, but u can access just the area u want and then u explore inside the area u chose. some areas from images and trailers seemed to be quite big tho. That's what i understood, but i may be wrong. i'll be honest, as soon as i saw the map was divided into numbered areas, i understood it wasn't gonna be a true open world. anyway, the project is still valid and exciting to me.

Years
    • Seen Oct 26, 2021
    There seems to be some significant changes from the main series. Of course I'm interested in this game, but I think I will wait to see the game in full

Years
    • Seen Nov 21, 2022
    I'm interested, if only because I feel that a shift to more open world games can be a good thing, but I'm probably going to wait to see how it's like.

Iceshadow3317

Fictional Writer.
    Years
  • Yeah I will be buying it. Much rather have it that BDSP atm. Because it seems like the true game since they are advertising it way more than BDSP.

As for open world.... do people know what an open world is? There is no such thing is a true open world except World of Warcraft. Everything else is divided by zones. It is an open world because there is only a single game that is a 'true' open world for what people are expecting. Even Skyrim has zones for the cities. Yeah you can mode it to have everything in a single game, but it isn't a 'true' open world by people's definition.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    Can someone who speaks English and actually interacts with the people who play these games explain what that message to Kotaku was supposed to communicate? What kind of open world is this game supposed to have? Can we explore the world outside the context of a mission?
    Basically, no, we can't explore the areas unless some sort of mission has been accepted first. The world is not seamless like in an open-world game.

If anyone's played Monster Hunter games, especially World or Rise, it seems right now that Legends: Arceus will be similar to that. Just swap Astera/Kamura with Jubilife, and World/Rise's various locales with Hisui's various locales and you should get the idea. Large, somewhat explorable areas, but they are self-contained and not physically connected to each other--you can't walk from Jubilife to the plains area like how you can walk from the gates of Solitude to the gates of Riften in Skyrim.

Years
    • Age 35
    • Seen today
    Basically, no, we can't explore the areas unless some sort of mission has been accepted first. The world is not seamless like in an open-world game.

You're being very confident about something they didn't say. They didn't make any comparisons to Monster Hunter or whatever else, and they didn't say you can't leave Jubilife Village outside the confines of a mission. That's what I want more clarification on. (It seems like it wouldn't make much sense to not let you outside without a mission considering how much more involved the Pokedex is now.)

I'm also not asking whether the whole world is a single contiguous map, because that's not necessary for an open-world game. I've played a lot of Xenoblade 2 recently - it's absolutely open-world, but it's discontinuous in the sense that the Titans are separate landmasses which you can only switch between by fast travel and which you have to be introduced to through the story before you can start exploring them.

Last edited:
    Years
    • she / they
    • Seen Jan 12, 2024
    Wasn't gonna but fluffy puppies and foxes? Yes ma'am.

Years
    • Seen Sep 17, 2023
    Im buying the Oled Switch that just came out. Imma give it time so the price goes down maybe to 300$. I don't mind buying it second hand as long as its well taken care of and 0 scratches on the screen.
    I want to enjoy this pkmn like a memory that I'll never forget.

Nah

Years
    • Age 31
    • she/her, they/them
    • Online now
    You're being very confident about something they didn't say. They didn't make any comparisons to Monster Hunter or whatever else, and they didn't say you can't leave Jubilife Village outside the confines of a mission. That's what I want more clarification on. (It seems like it wouldn't make much sense to not let you outside without a mission considering how much more involved the Pokedex is now.)

I'm also not asking whether the whole world is a single contiguous map, because that's not necessary for an open-world game. I've played a lot of Xenoblade 2 recently - it's absolutely open-world, but it's discontinuous in the sense that the Titans are separate landmasses which you can only switch between by fast travel and which you have to be introduced to through the story before you can start exploring them.
    So what are you asking then?

Years
    • He/Him
    • USA
    • Seen Jul 11, 2022
    I 100% cannot wait for the game to drop and plan on pre-ordering it here shortly ^^. I love the marketing that they're doing and I hope the game exceeds the expectations I have in my mind for it!

Back