• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Are you quick-witted?

curiousnathan

Starry-eyed
    Years
    We're often faced with situations where others try to embarrass us, belittle us and insult us in a public setting. Usually these erupt into arguments or an array of insults.

When you're in an argument, do you usually finish on top? Are you quick-witted enough to outsmart people and deflect an insult straight back at someone? How well can you hold your ground in an argument?

Essentially, are you good at thinking of 'comebacks' on the spot?

Elaitenstile

I am legend
    Years
    • Seen Feb 27, 2015
    You mean like bro, do you even lift?

Nah, and that's mostly because I don't get into fights that often. Even so, I try to laugh it out or cringe up. Usually the other person ends up exasperated and doesn't really go any further.

I don't have a record for quick wit, but quick comedy is something I'm good at lol

Khoshi

[b]とてもかわいい![/b]
    Years
    I used to be really well known for being good for my comebacks. Arguments though? I suck at those. I'm not good at using sources of info against someone else, rebuttals, etc.
    If someone does the lovely thing of getting my attention via an insult, they can usually expect one back. That doesn't happen very often though.

Last edited:
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    I usually have an arsenal of harsh comebacks but I hold back in arguments. Even with strangers that I'll probably never encounter again I choose to ignore their comments over saying something much worse to them. When it comes to friends or people close to me I hold back because I know what I want to say will really hurt them. I usually know what to say that will really press someones buttons or what truly bothers them and I feel like a douche bag if I take it that far. I will tell a friend how it is though I just avoid getting catty. When it comes to strangers most of the time I feel like it's a waste of my time and breath to say anything to them because they're not even relevant to me.

I don't enjoy/get anything out of conflict with other people. I rather avoid it. I know that some people take that as weakness, but I stopped caring about that. I can't help, but see it as immature when people feed into other people's comments.

Universe

all-consuming
    Years
    • Seen Nov 17, 2016
    Uuuh, I've been told that I'm pretty quick, or as my mom once said, 'quick as a whip'.

I like to have these little insult wars with my friends, where we literally just bash on each other for a few minutes and it's the funniest thing to me. (It's how I show love <3) I think those kinds of things and growing up the way I did caused me to be a little bit quick with insults. I like to think its hard to outdo me in one of those insult wars, but I'm pretty sure I just haven't tried it with enough people. >:3

Deja Vu

Smug Lord
    Years
    • Seen Jun 28, 2014
    Usually it takes me a while to formulate a good comeback, but after I've been drinking I can almost instantly deflect an insult back onto the attacker.

Years
    I do not recommend getting into a real argument with me unless you want your brain to explode from the effort of trying to outwit me - although I must admit I find I am less witty over the internet for some reason. Basically it is well known in my circles that I'm quick-witted and usually able to come up with a "comeback" almost instantly. I do have my blank moments occasionally though.

I apply said wit in mock arguments with friends a lot where we just bash each other for amusement, similarly to Mario but it tends to come into play in real arguments a lot too. Ironically enough this has been my downfall on some occasions because the person I was arguing with was too stupid to actually understand my point. You just can't argue with stupid because they'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience (I love that quote).

Sonata

Don't let me disappear
    Years
    I will always finish on top because my ex never lets me be on bottom.

But yeah I win every argument I'm in unless the person is just too stupid to argue with or I don't feel like fighting.

BadPokemon

Child of Christ
    Years
    I have a bad knack for arguing sometimes. I could always when, but sometimes it's too prolonged and I'm just like whatever. When I do, I have this wierd face that shows zero emotion and I talk all mono-tone.

I'm not like that in really have no idea why.

However, if someone insults me, I have no comebacks. I just don't let it phase me. If it lets you feel better, fine. I just make sure they don't do it again.

I don't really get physical with anything (I never have). I don't plan to, either.

Years
    I wish! Kind of an unoriginal response, but it's true in my case - hours or even days after I've had an argument, I think of perfect comebacks, and proceed to get angry at myself and promise that I'll snap a witty response at the next person who argues with me. Unfortunately, I've never kept that personal promise, haha. I love throwing playful insults at my friends, they know i'm joking around and usually send some back. When I do that to someone, they know I'm comfortable with them! :]

Back