• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

[Sword & Shield] Armor evolution = Armor digivolution?

Pokedigifan1178

Most powerful being in fiction
Years
  • So there's a rumor going on in the community about the new gimmick in sword and shield which is armor evolution of course.

That armor evolution sounds a lot like what digimon did before which was armor digivolution.

It may be coincidental but since I'm a fan of both. I got quite suspicious of it.

Considering people before said Pokémon ripped off mega evolution from digimon.

Anyway what's your opinion on the new armor evolution thing and do you think it had anything to do with armor digivolution?

TisH89f.jpg

Whim

king of weirdtropolis
    Years
  • I don't want to be that negative guy, but god I hope these rumors are wrong

Years
    • Seen Jan 31, 2023
    That's looking weird bt cool! Can we see them in future or it will be worng rumors!🤔

Pinkie-Dawn

Vampire Waifu
    Years
  • There's also the fact that Armored Mewtwo's render is still kept in secret from the remake's merchandise despite everyone already knowing what it looks like from the original movie. Could it be that it's a new design that ties in with the rumored armored evolution?

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • There's also the fact that Armored Mewtwo's render is still kept in secret from the remake's merchandise despite everyone already knowing what it looks like from the original movie. Could it be that it's a new design that ties in with the rumored armored evolution?

Hmm could be.

But still all this armored evolution sounds like Pokémon is ripping off digimon.

Years
    • Seen Jan 22, 2023
    It's possible that Armored Pokemon is something exclusive to Mewtwo and it would just be a bonus like Ash Greninja.

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    Hey, now. Lets not copy from bandai and GF needs to be more original. They copied MEGA already and they need to NOT MAKE another EVOLUTION based from another popular game; sorry if I sound negative because to be they are lacking of ideas to freshen up the game

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
    Years
    • He/They/Them
    • Seen Feb 21, 2024
    AT FAQ about releasing X/Y
    GF: We need new ideas and fresh...
    Later
    GF: Lets copy from digimon...

Planning and Discussions on releasing Sword and Shield
    GF: Lets copy from digimon

Gamefreak, please be more original. WE DO not need ANOTHER EVOLUTION from ANOTHER GAME. J U S T ST O P

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • No it talks about the games.

It just sounds like Pokémon is ripping off digimon.
    The merchandise is movie themed though - so while there are rumours that SS will have armoured evolutions, what we know is that all indications suggest movie for anything official thus far.

Armoured isn't a new idea given the original movie had Mewtwo with the armoured form, back in the 90s. When did Digimon have armored stuff? (I do not know.)

Pokedigifan1178

Years
  • The merchandise is movie themed though - so while there are rumours that SS will have armoured evolutions, what we know is that all indications suggest movie for anything official thus far.

Armoured isn't a new idea given the original movie had Mewtwo with the armoured form, back in the 90s. When did Digimon have armored stuff? (I do not know.)

How did mewtwo have an armored form in the 90's.

Digimon had armored stuff it seems on April 2, 2000.

But still if Pokémon ripped off Mega evolution.

And other things.

It's no reason to not believe that they stole armor digivolution.

clbgolden

Swampert Fan
    Years
    • Seen Sep 22, 2019
    Visually armored Pokémon could be cool and all, but stats wise, what would make them different than Megas? Seems like a useless addition.

On a related note, Digimon were far from the first to give their creatures enhanced forms and armor. I doubt GF is copying specifically them.

Last edited:

bobandbill

one more time
    Years
  • How did mewtwo have an armored form in the 90's.

Digimon had armored stuff it seems on April 2, 2000.

But still if Pokémon ripped off Mega evolution.

And other things.

It's no reason to not believe that they stole armor digivolution.
    It was a plot event of the first Pokemon movie. Team Rocket gave Mewtwo armour to try to curb its powers and help them control it. Said movie debuted in 1998 (1999 outside of Japan).
    Spoiler:

Years
    • Age 31
    • USA
    • Seen Mar 30, 2024
    I just can't imagine what "Armored Evolution" could bring to the table that Mega Evolution doesn't already. With how drastic some of the design changes can be when undergoing Mega Evolution, why couldn't they just make new Megas and give their designs some armor-esque touches? Aggron and Slowbro and even Houndoom are already encroaching on this territory as far as I'm concerned. I also don't like this recent trend of making features "for the time being" rather than thinking of the longevity of the franchise as a whole. Instead of making Megas in one gen and then dropping them for Z-Moves, then dropping Z-Moves for something else completely unnecessary, they should just work on fleshing out what they already have.

Years
    • Seen May 14, 2022
    1. Armored evolution is for sure coming. The leaker knew the names of the games. While not impossible to guess, it's pretty unlikely that's a coincidence.
    2. Everything relating to armored Mewtwo is absolutely merchandise for the movie. Mewtwo is one of many pokemon supposedly getting armored evolution, there's no reason for it to be trademarked when Armored Zerarora and Armored Charizard aren't.
    3. What is armored evolution?
    I don't know. Is it just another mega evolution? Possibly, but more likely is that it's the exact same thing as mega evolution but in a new style. Mega stones tied deeply into Kalos' characters and history. When they were included in Sun and Moon, they felt tacked on and out of place (ORAS doesn't count it's an alternate timeline). Maybe there will be new megas that incorporate armor into their designs. Armored evolution could just be mega evolution Galar style. I believe this is the most likely possibility, even if it means Charizard and Mewtwo will have THREE MEGA FORMS (gotta pander to genwunners somehow). Perhaps the whole "evolution" part is a translation error and armored evolution is simply a held item that increases defensiveness. We'll have to wait and see.

Last edited:

Kieran

the Blueberry Champion
    Years
  • Tbh I really don't get why Pokemon needs to always release new kind of things each time; Especially since generation 6.
    We can do fine without Mega Evolution (I do love most of them a lot but that is beside the point) and Z-moves tbh, I just feel they have been "trying too hard".

Back