• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

As of tomorrow, alcohol has no age restrictions

Years

ALCOHOL FOR ALL

I was thinking today, if there were no laws against drinking alcohol, would young people really drink all that much? If the law was lifted, sure, there would be a few weeks of people going crazy, but after that, would people get bored of the idea? If it isn't against the law to do it, would people still get a big buzz out of it from the experience?

Would you drink alcohol if there was no law, if you are underage that is?

Percy Thrillington

The Mad Hatter
    Years
    • Seen Jan 1, 2023
    everybody just disregards the law over here. drinking illegally has nothing to do with looking cool and edgy by breaking the law, it's about having a good time. everyone would still do it (myself included)

Kenshin5

Wanderer
    Years
    I think some young people drink to be rebellious or they think it is cool so many that would do it for that reason would decline if the law was gone. I think more of it is attributed to parties and social gatherings. They are bound to drink at those regardless of age restrictions so I really don't think it would really have a huge impact on the amount that is consumed or purchased. At the end of the day they will probably just realize "Hey this is just like any other beverage and it really doesn't taste all that great just gives me a buzz and all the other added effects."

Oryx

CoquettishCat
    Years
    • Age 31
    • Seen Jan 30, 2015
    I would drink the same amount, except maybe a bit more. I do avoid it because it's against the law, I can't for example order a glass of wine with dinner. I wouldn't be out getting drunk in public but I might have alcohol in public more often.

As for drinking in private, I generally don't do it and I probably wouldn't change if the laws did. Although I would celebrate a lot removing the age limit; maybe kids would get drunk in public a few times at 13-14 and get bored of it by the time they got old enough to do real damage.

Nihilego

[color=#95b4d4]ユービーゼロイチ パラサイト[/color]
    Years
    Tbh, yeah, absolutely lol. I drink in private for the enjoyment of it, but in public I'm still underage. Make it completely legal everywhere and I'd definitely take advantage of that.

As for the part about whether or not people would drink much, honestly, I don't think young people would. It's taught everywhere that alcohol is dangerous when consumed without moderation so imo the main reason why you get heavy teenage drinkers is because of how tightly prohibited it is in some places (depending on where you live, of course). So it's completely legal and dangerous if done excessively and everyone knows that? It might be done regularly but not excessively, and I don't see a massive problem there. A regular drink or two is a bit of fun and not gonna make the youth into a load of alcoholics.

Sydian

fake your death.
    Years
    Well hey, if the law got removed tomorrow, then hell yeah I'd drink. Maybe I could have more fun on my birthday if that were the case. To be honest, I was thinking I'd eventually try alcohol when I turn 19 anyway so if the age limit were lifted tomorrow, it wouldn't make much of a difference for me, since I'm almost 19. Well. Let's get the party started, shall we? Cap'n Fabz is totally gonna buy us all drinks since he posted this lovely thread. ;)

Elite Overlord LeSabre™

On that 'Non stop road'
    Years
    Nope, not at this point, I never acquired a taste for it... now, if the law had been in place for awhile and I had grown up drinking alcohol, that might be a different story.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    I wouldn't drink heavily but I would probably drink more often. Drinking 2 or 3 beers at dinner somewhere would be nice.

Shining Raichu

Expect me like you expect Jesus.
    Years
    I think it adds to the excitement of underage drinking that it's against the law and that makes it cool, which is a little pathetic but hey that's how rebellious teenage minds work lol. I think if the law didn't make such a big deal out of it then it wouldn't be as much of a problem.

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 28, 2019
    Would you drink alcohol if there was no law, if you are underage that is?

Yes. Not everyday, but during certain occasions and such. I wouldn't drink until I get drunk tho, just one or two or three. Whatever my limit is, I'll stop before it.

Myles

Seriously?
    Years
    I would say most teenagers would probably drink as much as adults. If they could get the money that is.

I'm above the legal drinking age in my country and I don't touch the stuff.

Last edited:

Cherrim

PSA: Blossom Shower theme is BACK ♥
    Years
    I'd like to see the age lowered in places. I think if you're considered an "adult" at 18, you should be able to make your own decisions re: drinking and gambling. But I don't agree with it being lower than that as I don't feel any substances are appropriate before you're considered an adult unless they are prescription. Too much room for abuse. I realize there will be underage drinking and abuse no matter the age but I still feel it needs restrictions.
    What has alcohol ever done to you?
    Hey. Not cool. This is not a debate forum and this thread is not here so you can judge other peoples' opinions. You never know if someone might have had a horrible experience with alcoholism or something (either their own or a close relative or friend) and if that causes them to never want to touch the substance, it's their own business. And if it's nothing like that and they just think alcohol is vile or it's awful and haven't tried it... it's still their own business. You can politely ask for the whys and why nots, but this is not okay.

Aquacorde

⟡ dig down, dig down ⟡
    Years
    I think most teenagers wouldn't drink more than what they already do, really. Perhaps some would do it for the novelty, but otherwise... not much.

I personally have acquired a taste for a shot of White Sambuca over ice as a dessert drink, so I suppose I would drink that occasionally. Or perhaps daiquiris or certain wines. I enjoy very few alcoholic drinks tbh.

Alex

what will it be next?
    Years
    • Seen Dec 30, 2022
    Well, if there was never an age limit put on alcohol, then I think we'd be better off. Of course you'd have idiots that drink too much and go a little overboard, but you'll have that with or without an age limit. If anyone was allowed to drink whenever they wanted to, it'd be more to the parent's discretion whether or not the child can drink. For example, I would not let my 12 year old drink til he passed out, because it's unhealthy for him. If he wants to have a beer or a glass of wine, sure. He probably wouldn't like the taste anyway.

Without an age limit on alcohol, you're allowing people to buy it freely, and drink it freely. A lot of people may take advantage of this, but you have to hope that they will draw a certain line after having puked and/or passed out once (or several times). Hangovers have taught me not to take it too far anymore.

But hell, people will learn that with or without an alcohol age limit. Honestly, I don't think the limit is all that important. All it is really is a huge handicap to high school students that really want to get drunk next friday night. Well, that's what it is in Canada anyway. Soon as you hit 19 you're free to drink. When it comes to the USA, you have to wait it out a few more years, but my point still remains. The alcohol age limit really doesn't matter unless you're under it. Most underage people don't even like the taste of alcoholic substances.

I don't think my life would have changed very much if there was no age limit, looking back. I wasn't constantly out looking for it, just whenever I did want it I'd have to pay someone else to get me some. If there was no limit, we'd just be cutting out the middleman here. Like I said, age limits don't really stop all that much.

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2017
    I always forgot that law even existed. The people that care about it are the people that don't really want to drink anyway. Everyone acted like it was a big deal when I turned 18, but there's nothing I want to and can do now that I wasn't already doing before. No it's not about "being rebellious", I just don't care to let the law define me and my morals.

Anders

Banned
    Years
    • Seen Aug 15, 2011
    Hey. Not cool. This is not a debate forum and this thread is not here so you can judge other peoples' opinions. You never know if someone might have had a horrible experience with alcoholism or something (either their own or a close relative or friend) and if that causes them to never want to touch the substance, it's their own business. And if it's nothing like that and they just think alcohol is vile or it's awful and haven't tried it... it's still their own business. You can politely ask for the whys and why nots, but this is not okay.

Oh it was harmless fun! He said he never drank it and mostly I was poking fun at the emphasis in his post. <3

2Cool4Mewtwo

Pwning in Ubers since 1996.
    Years
    Oh it was harmless fun! He said he never drank it and mostly I was poking fun at the emphasis in his post. <3
    But Why? It's not NECESSARY! oh look what you made me do :(

Anyways, this wouldn't affect me personally, but I still think it would be really bad, because it leaves many teenagers to cause danger. They're still generally not fully developed enough mentally to make smart decisions. Plus if a 5-year-old is allowed to go buy beer and drink it just like a soda... that's a real problem, obviously.

Back