• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ash cheated in that match

Guest123_x1

Of all the battles Ash has fought, some of them were won by ways considered to be unusual, or even by outright cheating. Such occurrences include Pikachu's electric attacks defeating a Ground-type when such attacks normally cannot work, using an over-matched Pokémon against a new Trainer's base form Pokémon, among some other things.

What battle moments did you think Ash resorted to cheating in?

One notable incident happened with Ash's rematch against Brock, in which Pikachu accidentally set off the fire sprinklers in the Pewter Gym's arena, soaking Brock's Onix, causing Misty to tell Ash what was really needed to defeat Rock-type Pokémon, to which Pikachu's electricity defeated the now-soaked Onix. A somewhat similar incident occurred in Mewtwo Strikes Back, where Pikachu's Thunder knocked out all of Raymond's Pokémon at once, including a Golem.

A different kind of "cheat" took place when Ash battled Casey for the first time, using his Charizard to soundly defeat Casey's Chikorita. After being told about Ash's shenanigans by a disguised Team Rocket, Casey told Ash during their rematch that they said he was a cheater.

Years
    • Seen Apr 19, 2020

Of all the battles Ash has fought, some of them were won by ways considered to be unusual, or even by outright cheating. Such occurrences include Pikachu's electric attacks defeating a Ground-type when such attacks normally cannot work, using an over-matched Pokémon against a new Trainer's base form Pokémon, among some other things.

What battle moments did you think Ash resorted to cheating in?

One notable incident happened with Ash's rematch against Brock, in which Pikachu accidentally set off the fire sprinklers in the Pewter Gym's arena, soaking Brock's Onix, causing Misty to tell Ash what was really needed to defeat Rock-type Pokémon, to which Pikachu's electricity defeated the now-soaked Onix. A somewhat similar incident occurred in Mewtwo Strikes Back, where Pikachu's Thunder knocked out all of Raymond's Pokémon at once, including a Golem.

A different kind of "cheat" took place when Ash battled Casey for the first time, using his Charizard to soundly defeat Casey's Chikorita. After being told about Ash's shenanigans by a disguised Team Rocket, Casey told Ash during their rematch that they said he was a cheater.

I dont really call it cheating.
    As far as Ground Pokemon are concerned, Anime is not always 100% when it comes to game mechanics.

Ash forfeited against Brock and brock gives Gym badges.

Pikachu being overcharged also isn't his problem.
    In the episode where he easily wins against Wattson, when he comes to know that he won because of overcharging, he is willing to battle again.
    As far as Casey is concerned, Ash didn't really have a level 5 pokemon to battle Casey.Just what you do when a weak pokemon trainer pops up in games.

Years
    • Seen Sep 18, 2019
    I don't really consider the battle with Casey to be cheating, so much as it was one of the rare instances where Ash is just kind of a complete dick for no particular reason.

Shamol

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.
    Years
  • Thunder armor Swellow. In what logic of any universe does that make sense?

クリスタル

The Pokemon Observer
    Years
  • Does plot armor included as cheating?

Because there are quite a lot of time Ash's Pokemon wins by mere friendship power, his pokemon miraculously becomes "stronger" and his opponent strangely becomes "weaker". The most recent offender I still remember is Korrina's rematch with MegaLucario.

Del

Iт'ѕ rαιɴιɴɢ oυтѕιde [...]
    Years
  • the weather mechanics, luck and special conditions aren't specifically cheating coincidences might happens in your favour.

...his pokemon miraculously becomes "stronger" and his opponent strangely becomes "weaker"...

This is why I stopped watching Pokemon 13 years ago

Last edited by a moderator:
    Years
    • Seen Oct 14, 2016
    All Ash-Greninja battles.

...Mega evolution without a Mega Stone? Pretty sure that's cheating.

This...

About the thunder armor for Swellow, maybe that was a reference for the guts ability I think...its still pretty stupid...

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • None of what you are all talking about is cheating. Thunder-Armor Swellow was just.. a crazy tactic that he tried and it worked. I don't see how it would be considered cheating when there was no maliciousness behind it lol.

Ash-Greninja is a new evolution technique like mega evolution. Somewhere in the Pokemon world that would be known. But in Kalos it isn't. It's not cheating. It's also not mega evolution. It's a combination of trainer and Pokemon, evident by Greninja taking on Ash's appearance and them moving in sync and feeling each others pain. It's not mega evolution and it's not cheating.

Ash's Pikachu beating that guys Pokemon? Also not cheating. Just because Thunder somehow hit a ground type it doesn't mean he cheated. Like someone else said, anime mechanics are weird when it comes to electric and rock/ground.

Ash's battle against Brock was also due to "third party" doings. Again not cheating.

He's never cheated. Ash's battling style has always been shown to be improvised and quirky and he uses different ways to make up for his Pokemon's shortcomings and their type disadvantages.

Years
    • Seen Aug 29, 2020
    Ash's Pikachu beating that guys Pokemon? Also not cheating. Just because Thunder somehow hit a ground type it doesn't mean he cheated. Like someone else said, anime mechanics are weird when it comes to electric and rock/ground.

That part I can agree with. If anything, that guy cheated by trying to use three Pokemon against one.

Ash's battle against Brock was also due to "third party" doings. Again not cheating.

Well, I don't know about that bit. Ash certainly considered at least the bit regarding the sprinklers cheating, which is why he quit the match.

Perriechu

i make this look easy tik-tik boom like gasoline-y
    Years
  • Well, I don't know about that bit. Ash certainly considered at least the bit regarding the sprinklers cheating, which is why he quit the match.

Oh, so he did. But I don't think it's considered cheating, especially since he acknowledged it and tried to forfeit.

Back