• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Ask simple questions here!

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2016
    I don't have an option to change the settings on my location, it's just either turn on or off feature. My friends use my phone as a hotspot and their pokemon still appear quicker than mine

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I don't have an option to change the settings on my location, it's just either turn on or off feature. My friends use my phone as a hotspot and their pokemon still appear quicker than mine
    If your phone is acting as a hotspot then your personal connection is probably being strained massively so that sounds like the most likely problem. If you want to receive the Pokémon as soon as they appear then you need a fast internet connection and unfortunately it sounds like you don't have that when your connection is being strained so much. Have you ever tried without using yours as a hotspot?

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2016
    Yeah most of the time It's only me using my internet data and nobody using my hotspot, they only use it when they have ran out of data. The nearby pokemon list is always up to date for their phone and mine always seems to be old. Eventually after a few minutes mine will refresh itself to the most recent nearby list

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Yeah most of the time It's only me using my internet data and nobody using my hotspot, they only use it when they have ran out of data. The nearby pokemon list is always up to date for their phone and mine always seems to be old. Eventually after a few minutes mine will refresh itself to the most recent nearby list
    Sorry hold on a second, are you talking about a delay with wild Pokémon appearing that you can tap on to battle, or are you just talking about the 'nearby Pokémon' list updating slowly? I've been talking about the former but if it's the latter then each phone updates periodically and there's not much you can do to change that but it doesn't really effect anything right now - the list no longer tracks distance so you aren't missing out by it not being updated don't worry.

Years
    • Seen Aug 6, 2016
    Its both, my nearby list is always slower refreshing compared to my friends and the wild pokemon are always slower to appear on my phone compared to theirs! Also even though my app is up to date I still have the battery saver option on my settings even though my friends don't

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    Doesn't matter which way around you do it - CP is based on the Pokémon's level (each Pokémon is caught with a set level and then powering it up with stardust will increase the level by one which will be a set amount of CP for the Pokémon species) and their IV score (IVs are natural stats a Pokémon has which give it bonuses to its base stats), and neither of these two values change when a Pokémon evolves. So in short, both ways are 100% fine :D

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • I thought IVs stayed the same no matter what?
    And also would it not be better powering up first? Example if I had a 300cp bulbasaur and powered it up by 200 cp then evolved it then it would be around 1000 cp. Whereas if I evolved it without powering up then it would be around 600 cp and I'd have to spend twice as much candy/stardust to get it to 1000 cp. Or is that not how it works? Hope that makes sense!

Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen May 11, 2023
    I thought IVs stayed the same no matter what?
    And also would it not be better powering up first? Example if I had a 300cp bulbasaur and powered it up by 200 cp then evolved it then it would be around 1000 cp. Whereas if I evolved it without powering up then it would be around 600 cp and I'd have to spend twice as much candy/stardust to get it to 1000 cp. Or is that not how it works? Hope that makes sense!
    IVs do say the same but perhaps I wasn't clear in my initial reply. Basically, each candy you use on that 300 CP Bulbasaur will give it a boost of ~10 CP, so you can use 20 candy to get it up to 500 CP and then evolve it into a 1,000 CP Ivysaur. However, if you evolve the Bulbasaur at 300 CP into a 600 CP Ivysaur and then feed it the 20 candy, it'll gain ~20 CP for each candy and end up at 1,000 still. It doesn't matter which order you do it in because it's based on the Pokémon's stats so an Ivysaur gains more from being powered up with candy than a Bulbasaur would. (Numbers obviously just examples!)

Illusionss

Banned
    Years
  • IVs do say the same but perhaps I wasn't clear in my initial reply. Basically, each candy you use on that 300 CP Bulbasaur will give it a boost of ~10 CP, so you can use 20 candy to get it up to 500 CP and then evolve it into a 1,000 CP Ivysaur. However, if you evolve the Bulbasaur at 300 CP into a 600 CP Ivysaur and then feed it the 20 candy, it'll gain ~20 CP for each candy and end up at 1,000 still. It doesn't matter which order you do it in because it's based on the Pokémon's stats so an Ivysaur gains more from being powered up with candy than a Bulbasaur would. (Numbers obviously just examples!)

Ah, so if the 300 cp bulasaur went up by 30 cp per boost, it would be 60 cp per boost once evolved? And also if that's the case you would save some stardust/candy since it takes less to power up a lower cp/lower evolution pokemon?

Years
  • Its both, my nearby list is always slower refreshing compared to my friends and the wild pokemon are always slower to appear on my phone compared to theirs! Also even though my app is up to date I still have the battery saver option on my settings even though my friends don't

Server lag probably, there could be number of reasons why it's happening, mobile phone, provider company,ping....

Years
  • I've heard that the current Nearby tab no longer follows any order - e.g. the Pokemon in space 1 isn't closer to you than the Pokemon in space 2. Confirm/deny? Source too if you can?

I'm following the "Nearby" since level 1, I always though that 3 pokemons on map are the closest to me, but when i click for "Nearby" tab, those 3 weren't first on the list and pokemon spawned randomly from the list. i'm talking for my phone only btw

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    Always evolve then power up, with most Pokemon you have a 50% chance at best at getting a good moveset (some Pokemon is much lower) so you wouldn't want to waste stardust on a Pokemon only for it to get the wrong moves

Years
    • Seen Nov 5, 2016
    I pay no attention to the nearby, me and my wife often play together and always have different Pokemon on nearby list and the same Pokemon can be in completely different place on list

Checkchiron

PokeArtist
    Years
    • Seen Aug 18, 2016
    I pay no attention to the nearby, me and my wife often play together and always have different Pokemon on nearby list and the same Pokemon can be in completely different place on list

Yeah for now it seems pretty random. And the order on the list aswell.

I was wondering if having an incense out spawns completely random Pokémon or does location matter aswell? Like using an incense while at a park or near water yielding different results than using it in the city. I did some googling and all I could find was how Lures/Location work, and not incense.

Back