• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

Autism, Aspergers syndrome etc.

Soul Eater

silver won't say he's in love~
Years
  • No, he's saying that, yes, it exists, but it is overdiagnosed. I believe I said this here:

It IS overdiagnosed, but that doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

Oh, well that's what I've been saying. I mean in some cases, it can be caused by bad parenting, sure. Parents who are unsure about Autism and probably hear relatives say the child might be autistic.

I mean it seems like because I child is totally hyper but lacks social interaction gets diagnosed with ADHD/Autism.

It exists but it's exploited in the wrong ways. People are taking it to the extreme and don't realize that half of these cases are probably just children being children.

That's why when Autism isn't diagnosed until later in a child's life, say around ten, is because the child is showing behaviors that aren't typical for that age.

Plus, you have understand that if a child has massive panic attacks because there is too much noise or the lights in a department store are too bright...then it could most likely be leading to a case of Autism.

But with that there has to be four more symptoms to go along with it. Not two or one or three. Maybe about four or more, especially because even if there are only four common symptoms of Autism in a child, they could be something leading to Autism.

Penguin13

Mountain Dew, Elixir of Life.
    Years
  • Wait, what are you saying?

I'll have you know that I suffer from ADHD and Autism. Those medications have helped me deal with stimulation and anxiety. I said nothing about medication.

Even I could tell you that. You have to have more than six or my symptoms to be diagnosed with Autism. Also, walking on ones toes isn't really an autistic trait. I've never walked on my toes except for fun and I don't do it because of Autism, I do it because it's fun.

Nonono, I wasn't referring to your post, I was referring to the post I quoted. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And I was saying that people who DON'T suffer from ADD/ADHD/this topic's ailments, are often "mis-diagnosed" for the doctor's profit.

Soul Eater

Years
  • And thus brings up the very debatable point - where is the line of Autism crossed? When is one considered autistic?

When is anyone considered to have ANY disability?

I wouldn't say it's debatable. I just think there are too many ways to be misdiagnosed, I mean it's clear that I have it.

Who's to say anyone in this thread does though? I know Kylie-chan and her brother have it, especially since she said her brother suffers from massive sensory issues.

There are things that can really mean a diagnose of Autism. If you look at the DSM-IV, that makes it clear.

People don't refer to it anymore, those leading in all kinds of misdiagnoses.

Nonono, I wasn't referring to your post, I was referring to the post I quoted. Sorry for the misunderstanding.

And I was saying that people who DON'T suffer from ADD/ADHD/this topic's ailments, are often "mis-diagnosed" for the doctor's profit.

It's fine. I just didn't understand what you were saying. XD

Not really. I've noticed at hospitals, that doctors are become less and less experienced in any field of study. My mom has kidney stones and she had gone to the hospital, a doctor told her she was having bowel spasms.

It's the same thing for people who "supposedly" claim to be autistic. They don't realize that doctors aren't as experienced as they used to be.

NoBel_ToKYo ™

OpEN Up YoUR HoRIzOns
    Years
  • I'm pretty sure that i still have autism..While i don't have many outward signs of it, At a time i obviously fitted what qualified as autistic. I do also recognise that i still have a few symptoms.

Misayu said:
    Who's to say anyone in this thread does though?
    While i understand where you're coming from, we need an element of trust here. ^^

and there is definitely some truth in what macintosh said, too. When i was younger i had trouble speaking and had to see speech therapists..Now i have been observed to have a vocabulary above average for my age. I think there are aspects of autism that are improved on over time, through environmental change, just like how peoples personalities can change over time. Of course, this is certainly not true for everyone, which i understand.

The question of "Where is the line one has to cross over to be autistic?" Is an incredibly challenging question. I feel a little like autism is where i had a key in my mind and it was chucked away (If you'll excuse the corny metaphor)

I was also very concerned years back over the MMR controversy, as i had been given the vaccination when i was born. Even if it did, what's done is done i guess.

It is also very important for doctors and psychiatrists trained in autism to refer to the DSM-IV. So many people make stupid mistakes regarding things like this these days.

~ Yukishii

ℓaketrio mistress♥
    Years
  • Who's to say anyone in this thread does though?

No one can say for sure, but what reasoning would anyone have to lie about something like that?
    I mean think about it.. that is just way pointless, and a waste of time.
    What stimulation does one get out of making that up?

Quoting 'What line is crossed to say one has autism?'.
    When you are dealing with someone who has autism their brain appears to be wired much differently from what is 'normal'.
    But then again the term 'normal' is completely opinion. Everyone has different aspects of what normal is, thus it has no true definition.
    Possibly proving why some doctors confuse autism with something else these days..
    I guess you could say autism is a pattern of behavior not recorded frequently or seen in that age.
    Same thing with sensory issues.. How often do you find someone who is ultra sensitive to light without being albino?
    I also fail to see the point in that question. Why challenge us?

Doctors are slackers these days, truly. A lot they say is lazy, thoughtless babble.
    How in the bloody hell do you confuse bladder infection with yeast infection?
    Get real.

My mom has kidney stones and she had gone to the hospital, a doctor told her she was having bowel spasms.

You know that actually makes sense for that to be confused..
    Why? Because when you have a kidney stone your bladder area does spasm.
    Maybe not your bowel area, but all of those systems deal with waste, so they are pretty close medical wise.

Last edited:

Soul Eater

Years
  • I'm pretty sure that i still have autism..While i don't have many outward signs of it, At a time i obviously fitted what qualified as autistic. I do also recognise that i still have a few symptoms.

While i understand where you're coming from, we need an element of trust here. ^^

and there is definitely some truth in what macintosh said, too. When i was younger i had trouble speaking and had to see speech therapists..Now i have been observed to have a vocabulary above average for my age. I think there are aspects of autism that are improved on over time, through environmental change, just like how peoples personalities can change over time. Of course, this is certainly not true for everyone, which i understand.

The question of "Where is the line one has to cross over to be autistic?" Is an incredibly challenging question. I feel a little like autism is where i had a key in my mind and it was chucked away (If you'll excuse the corny metaphor)

I was also very concerned years back over the MMR controversy, as i had been given the vaccination when i was born. Even if it did, what's done is done i guess.

It is also very important for doctors and psychiatrists trained in autism to refer to the DSM-IV. So many people make stupid mistakes regarding things like this these days.

I had the MMR vaccination too but I think everyone does and none of them are autistic.

I asked my friend if she had the MMR vaccine and she turned out fine. I think that's what they are having trouble with. The fact that it's not causing EVERYONE one to become autistic just because they received it.

I'm not saying you two aren't Autistic but there are people who have posted here, saying they are and it seems hard to say whether they are.

I mean people who come in here are saying they have very mild cases and that could be hard to consider as actually autism.

I mean I've never seen anyone in real life with Autism, except maybe at school. Whenever I go in public, I never see anyone who is considered as being autistic...but who knows?

I'm just saying that I don't think its as big of an epedemic as they say. Everyone just wants an excuse so they can have a cure. I don't think we need a cure at all.

It's not like we have cancer.

...Also, yeast infections and bladder infections have similiar symptoms.

HELL, It's easy to misdiagnose someone with Autism because there are symptoms similiar to those of Obsessive-compulsive disorder, ADHD, and even social phobia.

The problem is that there are bits and pieces of those disorders in one single case of autism. Alot of the times when someone has social phobia, OCD, ADHD and whatever...could be Autism.

It really wouldn't matter.

Soul Eater

Years
  • I used to have Aspergers but I don't anymore.

WTF? Didn't hear what we were saying? Autism and Asperger syndrome stay with you forever. You either have it or you don't.

That's exactly the sort of thing we were discussing. The fact the people claim to have it but really don't.

If you do have it, you probably still do. If not, you probably were misdiagnosed with it and could have had something else, you can't be cured of it.

You can only get help and yet you will still have it the rest of your life.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • I guess he means that he's learned to live with it, and it affects him less than it did before...

But a psychological, mental or anything else dealing with the mind stays with you until you die. However, you can learn to live with your shortcomings, and make the best of life. Or, you could just mope around all day and be misrable because of your flaws. It's really what you make of it.

Well, I guess that applies to most cases, anyhow.

Soul Eater

Years
  • I guess he means that he's learned to live with it, and it affects him less than it did before...

But a psychological, mental or anything else dealing with the mind stays with you until you die. However, you can learn to live with your shortcomings, and make the best of life. Or, you could just mope around all day and be misrable because of your flaws. It's really what you make of it.

Well, I guess that applies to most cases, anyhow.

He said he doesn't have it anymore...that's what I was getting at. I mean the flu is something you get over. A disability, whether it's personality, mental, developmental or physical, can stay with you all your life.

Corvus of the Black Night

Wild Duck Pokémon
    Years
  • He said he doesn't have it anymore...that's what I was getting at. I mean the flu is something you get over. A disability, whether it's personality, mental, developmental or physical, can stay with you all your life.
    All I'm saying is that he probably meant something else...

But now that he says that someone told him that, that get's me a tad annoyed. It's not something you grow out of...

Soul Eater

Years
  • Well, it was a tiny bit in lack of social skills and something else.

...That doesn't sound like autism at all. Besides, five is way to young for such a diagnosis. Most kids around five are prone to shyness and massive attachments to their parents.

Plus, it's stated in the DSM-IV that anyone who is diagnosed with Autism must show five or more symptoms. If possible, that they might have four symptoms who are considered severe, like having massive sensory issues and rituals/repetitive movements, then it's possibly an ASD.

Any other case is considered PDD-NOS, in your case, I still say you were in some sort of phase. I mean when I was your age, I was diagnosed with having ADHD and a slow learning disability. It wasn't until after they did massive testing at ten that I was diagnosed with mild to moderate Autism.

I mean with that it's so likely it wasn't autism at all. I mean like I said, it's not something you can grow it of. You can grow out of phases but you can't grow out of autism or asperger syndrome.

It's all said here: https://www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/autism/overview_diagnostic_criteria.htm

All I'm saying is that he probably meant something else...

But now that he says that someone told him that, that get's me a tad annoyed. It's not something you grow out of...

He...is right there you know. D:

Last edited:

Ziraider

ಠ_ಠ Get Down with the Pokemon.
    Years
  • Wow, I never realized that this many people have all these types of problems.

I have bipolar and i also have Major Deperssion....

Years
  • Well there were a lot more when I was a kid, a lot of my "quirks" I've stopped at one point or another. But I still have a few.

I have problems with self-control, don't trust people enough, can't call people by name, overshare information too much, have some uncontrollable physical habits that take years to break each time i get them (one I have had for six years and it doesn't show any signs of ever stopping), feel a need to correct/explain things all the time, and more.

If you're interested, I also have bipolar, ADHD, and extremely slight OCD.

Back