• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

4th Gen Behind The (Potential) Names

How are you going to decide your player/rival name(s)?

• Total voters

fenyx4

HOENN CONFIRMED!
Years
  • In-Game Names!

Hey. With the recent release of the artwork for the presumed player characters of HeartGold and SoulSilver, I was wondering: what are your/your rival's name going to be in HeartGold and SoulSilver? Or are you going to choose the default menu names?

Here are my choices for names (updated!):
    Gold: currently undecided, usually I base it on what fits the artwork. Still looking! Kendall
    Silver: Silver (tentatively) Raymond > Ray
    "Soul": Abigail? Solidad > Soul

I chose Kendall because it seems like a gold-themed name to me. Though I hate it when characters within or across franchise(s) share the same name (i.e., Ken Ichijouji from Digimon Adventure 02, Kenny from Pkmn DP, and now "Kendall" [Gold], though I don't really care about Kenny), I'll let this occurrence slide, simply since I now have the opportunity to play as Gold in HG/SS. :D

I chose Raymond because Silver's hair looks like converging "rays", and the word ray goes nicely with Heart, Soul, etc., IMO. :)

Solidad feels like my best choice; I loved the super-cute Soul having a beautiful (although currently tentative) name like Soul so much that I wanted to incorporate it in the game, somehow. Originally, I was looking for a sun-themed name (to go with sol, Spanish for "sun" and homophonous with soul. Then, I was browsing through Bulbapedia articles and came across the character Solidad, who is somewhat reminiscent of Soul. So, I just named Soul "Solidad", who can be nicknamed "Soul". :cer_love:

You can offer names for both player characters even you're only playing as a certain gender.

https://www.behindthename.com/ - A very good place to get started! :)

List what you're going to name yourself and your rival in the game in your posts, please! You can also suggest what you think the new girl and Silver will be named in the anime, as Gold's counterpart is already known as Jimmy from the Legend of Thunder special.

Last edited:

AJ™

ANGRY FAIC!!!
    Years
  • Are you talking about Anime names?
    If Anime names, I'm pretty sure Gold has one already. I think Abigail is a nice name for the girl.

In-game names, however, I think everyone will refer to them as just Gold and Silver.

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    To answer your question, we were able to rename Silver in the original Gold and Silver. Now, to answer the thread's topic:

- Silver will remain Silver, it simply fits.
    - Gold will be renamed most preferably to my name, as I always seem to do so.
    - The female, I don't know, perhaps Chloe, or maybe some default name.

xxChazxx

It's Been a While
    Years
    • Seen Sep 1, 2016
    Male: Gold

Rival: Silver

Girl: Crystal or Kris

some things never change.

{Swan}

I Never Asked For This.
    Years
  • I always chose my own names for them, I don't like to call them what everyone calls them. I'm am unique! xD Mostly just names I'm into right now, like I called the girl in Platinum Ophelia and the boy Jasper

Artemis

i'm no goddess
    Years
    • Seen Dec 10, 2013
    I think I might call the new girl Karen, it seem s to fit her to me.

Years
  • *waits for this thread to inexplicably explode and stick around for months, like name threads tend to ... somehow*

Player: Greg. As always.
    Rival: Maybe Tony or something suitable to a Mafia type character

Gummy

by fire be P U R G E D
    Years
  • Player: Gummy or Gold
    Silver: If I name my player Gold, I'll keep him as Silver. Otherwise, I'll name him after someone I know IRL.

We didn't get to name Dawn in D/P/P so we probably will have to stick with the girl's default name.

minchan

Mudkip Worshipper
    Years
  • This may sound dumb... but where do I find the artwork of the characters?? Ehehe... I don't keep up on this stuff. (But I'm gonna start since I'm one of the many who has looked forward to GS remakes!!)

BHwolfgang

kamikorosu
    Years
  • I would of course name my rival and me with completely random names. ^^

Example:
    Rival's name: Toothpaste | Protagonist's name: OJ

PatJamma

From the ashes
    Years
    • Age 29
    • Seen Jan 8, 2022
    I get the strangest feeling that somewhere (in the world after translations) the female is going to be named Heather because it is close to heart

Years
    • Age 30
    • Seen May 19, 2021
    Default menu names. Gold/Silver/Krystal.

Maybe name Gold, Jimmy, like from the Anime~

Years
    • Age 37
    • Seen yesterday
    This may sound dumb... but where do I find the artwork of the characters?? Ehehe... I don't keep up on this stuff. (But I'm gonna start since I'm one of the many who has looked forward to GS remakes!!)
    TADA!

I'm undecided right now on what to name the boy in my game. It's either going to be Astinus (since when I played Pearl, I played as the girl and named her "Hanako", which was my former name) or Tetsuo. Tetsuo is the name that I thought the boy had in G/S way way before the games were slated for release in America. So he's always been "Tetsuo" to me. I might just rename him that for the nostalgia factor.

Poliwagged

is waggin' his tail
    Years
    • Seen May 12, 2012
    I'll name myself either Chris (Real name) or Gold (Titular name).

ToraSushii

I see...food!
    Years
  • Here's my pathetic list of ideas.

- Gold: Gold (I like Gold. Gold matches Gold.)
    - Silver: Silver (I like Silver. Silver matches Silver.)
    - New Female Character: Jeri, Jasmine or Crystal (Names of my.. friends. Totally not weird at all!)

FalconJoker

Joking with the Devil
    Years
    • Seen Jun 8, 2009
    I always name my player Falcon and my rival after one of my friends or someone that has been irking me recently. :P

Man of Faith

My, my, Doctor Saunders.
    Years
    • Seen Jul 26, 2022
    Male: Xander

Rival: Spike

Female: Willow

(Nerd points if anyone can guess the theme! :O)

That's usually how I name them in GSC. Because Spike fits the rival...

Azumi

★七色に光る女★
    Years
  • Female: Kris for nostalgia or Azumi cuz I named her like that in Platinum.
    Rival: SILVER. No, no big caps.

Years
  • My name for myself. As for the Rival and "her", I will wait for the text translation. If like GSC the investigative policeman is still awesome with his questioning process, the Rival will be named "No." Stupid cop...

Back