• Our software update is now concluded. You will need to reset your password to log in. In order to do this, you will have to click "Log in" in the top right corner and then "Forgot your password?".
  • Welcome to PokéCommunity! Register now and join one of the best fan communities on the 'net to talk Pokémon and more! We are not affiliated with The Pokémon Company or Nintendo.

best feature of every generation

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I remember seeing a really interesting thread about this a few years ago, so I thought I'd bring it back. If you could pick your favorite feature from every pokémon generation, what would they be?

Years
  • Age 31
  • Seen Apr 30, 2017
Gen 1. I think this should be classed as a feature, But I liked that the starters where basically difficulty levels I.E Grass - Easy, Water - Medium, Fire - Hard
Gen 1.5 Yeah I had to put a .5 for this one as it was/is the best ever feature for me is walking pokemon, It is just the best thing I think and I loved/Still love the fact that pikachu followed you.
Gen 2 Pokemon breeding I would say is the best thing from this gen, I like being able to breed even if it's not for stats just cause I like having different genders of some pokemon.
Gen 3 I loved Pokemon contests (Even tho I was neve good at them but still loved them) It was fun seeing other things that weren't just battles, more battles and even more battles.
Gen 4 Side note before I say anything I haven't played much of this gen due to the fact I really dislike it, I have no idea why I do lol I just really never liked it, But that said I do like the fact that it expanded upon walking pokemon,Ironicly Heart gold/Soul silver are my 2nd fav games, But othe than that I have no idea what else was added in this gen I don't really play D/P/P even tho I do have them all.
Gen 5 Same as above I haven't really palyed much of this one, Although I do like the seasons aspect of it and wish they would bring them back so as deerling can change.
Gen 6 I think the best thing in this gen was the 3Dness of it, I have never had 1 issue with it and use it loads and it neve seems to amaze me how awesome it is, Too bad they never kept it fully.
Gen 7 I love that they ditched gyms for a more companion feel to it rather than Fight, Fight and fight. I like having my pokemon and known there aren't gyms, In case that isn't classed as a feature I would pick poke rides/Z moves. I love having different forms and z moves the reason I put them both together is that I think if they did this instead of mega it would be amazing in my view.

P.S sorry for the longness

TL:DR
1:- Difficulty levels/Walking Pokemon
2:- Breeding
3:- Contests
4:- Expanded walking pokemon
5:- Seasons
6:- 3D
7:- PokeRides/Z moves

Years
Gen One - Elements from the anime and your starter (yes you could only choose Pikachu but still) following you.

Gen Two - Travelling back to another region (in this case Kanto) can't be beat imo.

Gen Three - The Hoenn contests were amazing and a really fun feature to do when playing through and after the game.

Gen Four - Pokemon following you. Enough said.

Gen Five - I'm also gonna choose seasons for this generation, it might some areas look really cool and Game Freak implemented it well with Deerling.

Gen Six - I'm not sure if the 3D engine is really a feature so I'll go with mega evolutions, looking back they were a great concept and we got some really cool designs as a result.

Gen Seven - Poke Ride, something I've wanted for years and was actually really practical too, as it replaced HMs.

Years
  • Age 29
  • Seen Apr 24, 2024
I only played Gen III-V so I might double-up in Gen III/IV to talk about the remakes.
Gen 1. I think this should be classed as a feature, But I liked that the starters where basically difficulty levels I.E Grass - Easy, Water - Medium, Fire - Hard
I've never thought about this, not sure how much I agree with it though - yeah that's how they work out in the beginning but once you beat Brock, you can get Pikachu for Misty and after her Charmander's family dominates.
Gen Five - I'm also gonna choose seasons for this generation, it might some areas look really cool and Game Freak implemented it well with Deerling.
I definitely agree on this, although its also the thing that makes me want to replay them slightly less - now I have to have a job and stuff it takes me around a month to complete a game, so I have to pick which month I want to start in to decide how it impacts my gameplay. It does also mean it'll take longer to get super-repetitive though I guess.
Gen Seven - Poke Ride, something I've wanted for years and was actually really practical too, as it replaced HMs.
This has me wishing I could afford a 3DS, even if all the new pokémon of 2 generations seems a bit much. My Gen V runner-up would have been reduced HMs.

So, my list:

Gen III:
FrLg - reduced HMs! It seemed so leisurely and more open than other games, especially as the only gym badge you need to get preventing you from making Blaine your 3rd gym is Koga's. Last save my order was Brock-Misty-Koga-Blaine-Sabrina-Erika-Lt. Surge-Giovanni, nice to be able to mix things up.
Emerald - Battle Frontier! Great way to have enough to do in post-game without having to revisit Kanto yet again or have a lacklustre area like Sinnoh's Battle Zone.

Gen IV:
DPPt - Physical / Special split! I wasn't aware of how types / contact worked in Gen III, finally making it follow logic (mostly) just makes everything so much clearer for me. Close runner-up would be Day / Night, I love the night-time themes.
HgSs - Walking pokémon! I mean seriously, what else? Expanding on those images upon entering certain locales from FrLg was fun but c'mon, walking pokémon!

Gen V: Seasons, as I outlined earlier. Simultaneously my favourite new feature and the thing that prevents me from going back to them.

As an aside, I'm not that big of a fan of Cynthia's appearance. I guess there's no other stronger trainer from in-game they could have added, but I really liked that Black and White seemed so self-contained. The introduction of the other regions' pokémon in B2W2 kinda made them less special to me as well.

Flowerchild

fleeting assembly
Years
I had a lot of ties I couldnt really decide a #1 favorite.

Gen One Being able to get all the starters in Yellow.
Gen Two Dual Regions, radio
Gen Three Huge graphical leap and also contests
Gen Four Following Pokémon, Pokétch
Gen Five Seasons, the concept of a storyline
Gen Six N/A
Gen Seven Trials and Ride Pokémon are a tie.

SirBoglor

[b][I][FONT=Satisfy]It's over, isn't it?[/FONT][/I
Years
Gen I: The franchise starting, I guess?
Gen II: The special split (Special Att. and Special Df.)
Gen III: All of the Pokemon stat changes. (Natures, Abilities, DVs replaced with IVs)
Gen IV: Ball Capsules!
Gen V: The seasons/hidden abilities
Gen VI: Mega Evolution, of course!
Gen VII: Poke-Ride. Damn those accursed HMs.

Years
  • Age 28
  • Seen today
Gen 1: The start of the franchise
Gen 2: The Special split, Dark and Steel types, Breeding
Gen 3: Abilities, Move Relearner, Secret Bases, the Battle Frontier
Gen 4: Physical/special split
Gen 5: Animated sprites, re-usable TM's, Pokestar Studios, the Join Avenue, the PWT
Gen 6: Pokemon-Amie, Super Training
Gen 7: Trials instead of Gyms, Poke Refresh, Poke Pelago, replacing HM's with riding Pokemon

Drayton

Chilled Dude of The Elite Four
Years
  • Age 34
  • Seen Feb 21, 2024
Gen 1 - How you would just get a pikachu at the start and obtained all starters that not intended for first play (also this is the first gen to introduce walking pokemon only pikachu)
Gen 2 - Introducing few type (Dark and Steel), Specials no longer whole, but separated also BREEDING
Gen 3 - Introduction to Abilities, Move Relearners and Frontier, Double Battle
Gen 4 - Attacks separated to Special (Sp. Atk & Sp. Def) and Physical (Atk and Def), Walking Pokemon
Gen 5 - Infinite TMs, Join avenue and PWT
Gen 6 - Mega Evolution, Amie and Super Training also trade and battle with everyone that not on your friendlist
Gen 7 - Refresh, Poke Pagers (Good riddance for HMs), stamps and Trials

PageEmp

No money puns. They just don’t make cents.
Years
Gen1- It started the series I guess...

Gen2- Introduced a good set of mons and 2 new types

Gen3- introduced features like natures and abilities

Gen4- Phy/Spe split as well as the best games

Gen5- also introduced many good mons and had good plot

Gen6- had 2nd best games

Gen7- 2nd best mon designs and so far its good

Back